Boswedden House

A Camper We Stayed In At Bone ValleyA Camper We Stayed In At Bone Valley

Fire PoisFire Pois

A few days in Cornwall

by monkeyfeesh

I'm off down to Penzance on the 21st, coming back on the 24th, so i've got three nights, two full days, and two half-days. Myself and my girlfriend are already going to the Minack theatre on Friday evening, so we've got that part planned out. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what to do in the rest of the limited amount of time we have there. We're definitely going to pop round to St Michael's Mount; roughly how long should we allow for a visit there? And are there any good mini-tours from Penzance? Additionally, can anybody recommend some nice restaurants and pubs?

Re: A few days in Cornwall

Hiya,

Penzance is the perfect base to explore Cornwall.

You have already mentioned St. Michaels Mount which is definitely a Must.-Visit. If you like you can walk from Penzance to Marazion which is the starting point of the causeway to the island. The walk might take about 1 hour ... At Low Tide you can walk to the island at high tide you have to take a boat.

Another Must-Visit is a trip by train to St. Ives.The short traintrip is very scenic. A stop at Carbuis Bay is recommended. St. Ives might be packed with tourists at this time of the year, but nevertheless it is a lovely little harbour village with nice beaches and a a branch of the Tate Gallery.

Lands End itself is very touristy but the rocky coastline near Lands end is worth seeing.

The small villages Newlyn and Mousehole just next to Penzance can be explored by local bus.

This page might be very helpful for you:

Hope this helps ...

Re: A few days in Cornwall

by Geoff_Wright

Hi Matt,

Sorry, but I live in North Cornwall, and don't know much about Penzance. But look at this guide:

Never been to St Michael's Mount, but you should enjoy it, a couple of hours I should think. Land's End is nice, but rather lost its romantic image in my opinion, since they build a tatty lot of gift shops and theme park/play area. On a good day the cliff scenery makes up for that! I imagine you are travelling by train. If you have a car, drop in and see us on the way back! Hope this helps a bit. Regards

Geoff

by monkeyfeesh

Thanks very much Horscheck and Geoff! Both handy websites, especially that carfreedaysout one. Yes, that's right, no car so we won't be dropping in to visit you Geoff, but thank you for the invite.
Cheers,
Matt.

by HORSCHECK

When you use Penzance as a base then it is possible to see a lot in that area of Cornwall by public transport (train and bus). But be well prepared and check timetables in advance ...

Concerning the buses I remember they had kind of day tickets for that region, but it was in 1997 ...

Have a sunny weekend

by Ash59

If you are going to St Michaels Mount, check out the tides and weather. The causeway is only open at low tide. There are small local boats that will give you a lift to the island for a fee if there is a high tide but in bad weather, I would not recommend taking them or, indeed, walking the causeway as it can be quite slippery and hazardous.

If you can get there, try the Anchor Pub in Porthleven for somewhere to eat. As you enter into Porthleven, there are 2 quays running around the harbour, The pub is at the end of the right hand one as you face the harbour (the left hand one will have a church at the end of it). Be warend that this pub does not open all day, just lunchtimes and evening from about 6.30pm.

Porthleven itself is alovely little harbour to wander around for a short time. If you are there early enough in the day, wander up the hill away from the harbour and find the small, local Cornish Pasty shop on the right. The pasties are delicious and nothing like the factory made ones.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Andy

by monkeyfeesh

Thanks all - a nice weekend was had.

Hiya

It would be interesting to hear what you have finally done on your trip ...

Thanks
HORSCHECK :o)

by monkeyfeesh

I'm working on it! I'll be adding pages as and when I get round to it. In summary, that carfreedaysout thing proved to be a little out of date - the bus services it talks about have changed, for example. It gave us a good little grounding though, and we got around quite a lot. It was difficult sometimes, since we would go through places that looked nice and would be okay to stop in for a little while, but if you did you'd be stuck there for 2 hours until the next bus came. On the Friday we managed to go round Saint Michaels Mount, then on to St Ives where we stayed a little longer than we intended thanks to a lousy restaurant, and around the Penwith coast to Land's End by bus. We then went across to Porthcurno and watched a play at the Minack theatre. On the Saturday we went down to the Lizard via Helston, walked around near the Lizard itself and Kynance Cove, went along the east coast of the Lizard by bus then came back towards Penzance, stopping at Porthleven on the way. And on the way home we stopped in at the Eden Project.

Put simply the coastlines were incredible; it was very misty around the Lizard which shortened the views somewhat, but it was still beautiful.

by HORSCHECK

Anyway, thanks for your short trip summary ... I has given me a good idea of your trip ... Now waiting impatiently for your pages ... Keep me informed ...

Greetings from Germany

Travel Tips for Penzance

Old Market

by angelis

This is the view you see at the top of Penzance's main street. The statue is a monument to Humphrey Davy and behind it is the Old Market building. This was bought up by Lloyds TSB and now serves the town as a bank.
There are also a couple of souvenir shops.

PENZANCE

by ViajesdelMundo

"View to the Sea"

This is the view from the enclosed verandah of my friend's friends' home, where we stayed. All of my excursions in Cornwall were taken from here, including visiting some of their different family members in the area, so I got to see more of the locals and a beautiful old restored house, but no restaurants or commercial accommodations, altho my friend's friends' rent their place out in the summer, when they are gone back visiting in Sri Lanka.

This one place about which I've written a Tip is really close to where they live, but the others I will just put under CORNWALL.

Comments