Duporth Guest House

1 Mennaye Road, Penzance, TR18 4NG, United Kingdom
Duporth Guest House
Booking.com Agoda.com Priceline.com

More about Penzance

Outside the coffee shopOutside the coffee shop

The flags of GolowanThe flags of Golowan

Penzance LibraryPenzance Library

Travel Tips for Penzance

Madron

by leafmcgowan

This small little parish village of granite cottages that is located near Penzance and served as one of Penzance's notable water sources. It is approximately 3 km / 2 miles northwest of the Penzance town center. The town is most notorious for the location of the fabled Madron Well - a healing spring that was dedicated to Madron or Mabon - the Mother Goddess. The Parish and village is named after the Patron Saint "St. Mabyn" who is named after the Goddess Mabon or Madron. The population is roughly 1,500 inhabitants. Its believed that the area that is now the town began as a medieval habitation site. This is assessed by the finding of a couple of inscribed stones - one of which was found in the wall of the village church and the other as built into the Northern wall of the North Aisle, west of the entrance door of the church. Both are missing. Madron was recorded in the Domesday Book. Madron is also home to the Penzance Union Workhouse that was formed in June 1838 and used until 1948.

Spinning Fire

by EDavis

"Trying to make a buck"

This was the night some friends taught me how to spin fire in Penzance. The night was bitterly cold, but the fun we were having kept our minds off the chill seeping into our bones. At one point I was asked to stand up against my friend while he reached around me and spun the stick behind my back. He told me to stand still while he spun. I did my part in our performance but he didn't do as well. One small slip and the fiery end of the stick (you know- the end that had just been soaking in kerosene and lit on fire!) smacked me right in the back of my head. Somehow not even a hair was singed (though that spot was a little tender). He felt awful about it but I have to admit that all I could do was laugh (and rub my head a little). I mean, how many people get hit in the head with fire and come away unscathed? OK, OK, how many people get hit in the head with fire period?

Maybe I'm just too easily entertained but this kept us busy for a while. I only wish I had a picture of me doing it, too.

Comments