Tregenna Castle Hotel

Tregenna Castle Hotel
Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Costs 81% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Tregenna Castle Hotel

This is not a luxury hotel.....

by TripAdvisor Member Canadian_in_UK

I visited Tregenna Castle with 2 girlfriends expecting a luxurious hotel with a spa and a wonderful place where we could relax for the weekend. This hotel was probably in its prime in 1959 and has not been updated since. I will say our room had a spectacular view, and the grounds are wonderful. But a view alone cannot support their high season rate of £85 per person per night. The shower curtain and tub was moldy, the recreational facilities were average at best (steam room cannot operate at the same time as the carvery due to power problems), the blankets were itchy, the dirty dishes were never removed from our room and sat in the hallway during our entire stay, the spa consists of 1 tiny room with limited treatments available, the breakfast was below average (tinned fruit, runny eggs etc.), the TV was basically on the floor so you could not even watch it from the bed, and housekeeping staff stole my night cream! I could go on and on. Anyway, we were extremely disappointed and could not believe that guests would return to this property for a vacation. I was just in Eastbourne and paid £50 a night for a better room and better service. The 3 of us have travelled all over the world and never complained at a hotel. Nor had any of us paid this kind of money (equated to £255 per night). We complained to the resort manager and she refunded more than 50% of our money. We still felt ripped off. I think the only people who would give Tregenna Castle a favourable review would be those who have never vacationed anywhere else before. I will never return to this hotel or to St. Ives.

Great grounds and location.

by TripAdvisor Member edcb

We stayed for a week in one of the self catering converted coach houses. Our apartment was the smallest there, and it was tiny. Nevertheless it was nicely done out, and had dishwasher, cd/hi fi etc. We had very good weather which meant we could sit out a great deal which gave us more space.

The grounds are wonderful, have some fab views over st ives, there's a walled sub tropical garden which is lovely to sit in and a very pleasant wooded walk though the grounds which takes you a long way down to st ives. It took us about 20 mins to walk to the town centre. Parking in st ives is awful, so I would recommend walking. there's a very efficient taxi firm which the tregenna castle recommended that cost about £3.50 back up.

The indoor pool & jacuzzi in a conservatory were lovely, the outdoor one looked great too.

We ate at the brasserie once and found it overpriced and lacking in inspiration. We ate out elsewhere (or takeaways) every other night.

The hotel itself (didn't see the rooms) was generally a bit faded glory & needs a facelift.

Would I stay there again? Yes, but in self caterting - a bigger appartment. Would I be tempted to stay in the hotel itself - probably not.

Beautiful grounds and views

by TripAdvisor Member shazt

We had an ocean view room plus 3 other rooms for our group. The exterior of the castle is beautiful, the grounds are fantastic with lots of lawns, an outdoor pool, tennis courts etc. The views of town and ocean are wonderful. It is about a 20min downhill walk to the town so you need to be semi active if you wish to visit the town as parking would be extremely difficult to say the least (it is a nice walk though). Restaurant is pricey as is the property. Whilst the rooms etc. are clean and large and the ocean views if you have them are great. The interior I agree with others is very disappointing. I would not say it is shabby it is just
decorated/laid out in a manner completely at odds with the property and just such an absolute shame that it did not follow the theme of the property ie. castle theme you would expect hanging tapestries, exposed stone, knight armour instead you have Bermuda pastels! Tregenna Castle probably had a grandmother do their interior design versus a professional, it could be truly stunning! It is still a nice place to stay though.

Big Disappointment at the Tregenna

After visiting St Ives for many many years, I had always looked at the Tregenna and thought I would love to stay there.

So in May last year, we decided to book for New year. The whole family including my three children and my parents were really excited.

Very short lived when we arrived. We stayed in Miss Robinsons' which was very tired to say the least. It smelt of damp, it was freezing cold and very very dirty. The hotel where we were booked for New Years Eve dinner, was much the same. Although the food was good.

The worst experience we have ever encounted in a hotel. Think twice before booking.

70's Timewarp

by TripAdvisor Member blackcornish1964

We were so disappointed in this hotel, we recently visited for a wedding and decided to stay overnight. £150 for B&B and the room was dreadful. It was like stepping back in time to 70's Benidorm. You won't like this hotel unless you are of a cetain age ie over 60. The entire hotel reeked of decay. The room service menu and Hotel guide was full of what they didn't do/what you couldn't do, I think they regard guests as an inconvenience. We ordered the room service breakfast and it arrived on side plates (bare in mind we paid £40 for 2 breakfasts) the bacon was soggy, dreadful sausage, okay juice and the coffee was served in a plastic thermos jug which was circa 70's tupperware. The hotel (ie the outside) and grounds are so lovely it is a crying shame that the hotel itself is such a let down. Take my word for it, if you are thinking of a stay in St Ives then stay at a cheap B&B or pay very slightly more and stay at the Blue Hayes Hotel up the road, it is far superior and the views/room/staff and breakfast are perfect!

fantastic hotel

absolutely brilliant, magnificent setting, superb gardens, very clean and very helpful staff. Beautiful big drive way up to the hotel with a superb golf course on both sides and panoramic views.
I got married here in April, coming from Ireland with over 87 guests. Everybody was so helpful and wedding was a great success. Food was excellent as was the service. We stayed as did the guests for 4 days and nights and nobody had one complaint to make. The bar staff every night were so well mannered and did everything to make each night enjoyable. A special thanks to George (one of the bar staff) who was so good humoured and joined in with the crack every night. Also Alex the banqueting manager who did all the running around up to the wedding day to make sure everything ran smoothly for us. Had a buffet the night after the wedding and booked the castle bar. The food was so plentiful and absolutely delicious. Everyone licked their fingers afterwards and commented on how plentiful it was.
Could not get better photographs for the weedding than you would in their gardens... Would definitely return again..
Thank you to all the staff and to Kathleen one of the housekeepers who was so nice and made sure my sure was spotless everyday.

Over priced out of date hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MrJSmith

The hotel is set in the most beautiful location, overlooking St.Ives. The grounds are lovely, with many beautiful gardens. However, once inside the hotel, you’d soon wish you hadn’t bothered. It is just so out of date, I’m an interior designer and I don’t think I have seen such a poor example of a hotel interior, it was nasty. It completely spoilt our stay.

There was a ‘gas leak’ in the right meaning we couldn’t have a cooked breakfast, instead it was a continental breakfast. I think it was the worse breakfast I have ever seen or tasted before.

The waitress who showed us to our table told off another member of staff in front of us, and made the poor lad feel very stupid.

The website cleverly disguises how awful, shabby and dated the hotel is. We paid over £160 for one night. I don’t think I have been this ripped off before. The Best Western has completely ruined a beautiful location and building by a horrendous interior, and rude staff.

Nice hotel but miserable staff

by TripAdvisor Member Gill02

Stayed at this hotel with my girlfriend. Looking at the other reviews I do agree that this hotel looks stunning from the outside but as you walk in this does change. The public areas are fairly comfortable but rooms are a bit dated and dusty.
Food was okay. We were shown to our table by a restaurant manageress? Who seemed as if she couldn't be bothered with the guests, which seemed to rub off on the rest of the staff. I myself am a Food & Beverage manager at a hotel and seeing this attitude disapointed me. Breakfast was your typical do it yourself. We stayed the two evenings and found the reception staff quite helpful and pleasant.

Loved the view!

by TripAdvisor Member IOWgirl

The surroundings and the grounds are superb and well managed. The walled garden and the woodland walk are a delight.
We stayed in a room classified as 'superior sea view' which are the most expensive rooms at £85pppn. The views from the room are superb but do not make up for the decrepit condition of the room and bathroom.
The furnishing of the room cosisted of a small shelf supporting the kettle plus the tea and coffee etc. with a hair dryer to the side. The kettle had to be put on the floor to be plugged into a socket . The wardrobe was an ancient white painted arrangement. There were two sitting chairs with threadbare seats arranged on a raised and balustraded dais in front of the window and were facing an elderly television, which did not work well. This dais took up approximately a third of the room and restricted movement around the bed. The bed was a king-size and very comfortable. The decor was indifferent.
The bathroom contained a large but stained bath with an ineffectual shower which lacked any pressure and surrounded by a 'cheap' shower curtain. Packets of shower gel etc. were provided. The floor consisted of dark lino tiles. Housekeeping did not remove used crockery, which remained on the floor in the room for the duration of the stay.
We complained about the television and the shower the receptionist who took our complaint was sympathetic and pointed out that the shower was limited by the inadequate plumbing and the lack of a power shower. Two other people were making similar complaints at around the same time. Someone attempted to improve the television but to no avail.
The food in the brasserie was excellent but that in the restaurant/carvery adequate.
Our experience of hotels is extensive and we felt that the hotel is in a poor state of repair and decoration and the overall experience does not warrant the high prices charged.
We certainly would not recommend it, or stay there again.

Comments