Tintagel, Cornwall, PL34 0DQ, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Average

• Biggest joke in cornwall

We have a confession to make. Although we arrived at the "hotel", after sampling the guest areas and visiting the toilets we did,n't even check in. We decided to take the hit. I know now why they stipulate a 7 day cancellation policy rather than before 4 pm on the day. Nobody seriously of sound mind would pay 4/5 star prices for this run down, smelly establishment. Instead, just driving up to the place I'm sure 99 percent would make the cancellation call and these jokers would rightfully go out of business. I've read other reviews now and and deeply suspicious of the glowing tributes. Please do not get sucked in to the clever photos. This place is an unmitigated dump and should simply be avoided.

Unique Quality: None

• Worst hostel in UK

After a long drive to Cornwall my husband and I were looking forward to spending the night in a medieval Castle.
    This was going to be a special treat for me from my husband as he new I always wanted to stay in a castle.
    As we drove up the drive we were super excited! then that all stopped!
    We checked in the receptionist showed us the dinning room and the great hall, she then offered a free drink of tea, coffee or wine. I said my husband would love a beer as he doesn't drink tea,coffee or wine if possible, and her relpy was "we don't offer beer" !She then give us our room key and told us where our room was.
    Trying to get into the horrible cage lift with all our luggage was a laugh!
    We entered our box room with a porta potty bathroom (Honest a porta potty) My husband had to leave the door open to wash his face!!!
    1 plug in the room and it was at the oppisite side to the mirror so to do my hair I had to keep going from part of the room to the other!
    We had booked in for 2 nights but we couldn't wait to get out of there so we only stayed the 1.
    I would not recommend this hotel for anyone to stay in!!!!!

Unique Quality: only the view outside except the hostel standing there unfortunately

Directions: Go to the Tintagel and for the shore left and everything except Camelot Castle Hotel. Grab kids away from the scientologists sect.

• daleandles's Profile Photo

No WiFI in room, no A/C, no breakfast..Definitely

Seeing the website of Camelot Castle Hotel, you could be sucked into the belief that this is a fantastic place to spend a weekend. Overlooking the Tintagel Castle, on the beautiful windswept Cornish Coast, this family run hotel could be a dream. Except it's more like a nightmare.
    My husband and I are currently on a 6 month journey around the UK and Europe. We decided to treat ourselves to a night of luxury and booked 6 months ago whilst still in Australia. We were given a choice of a view of the castle or the landscape. We chose the castle ruins. For 220 pounds a night we expected a certain level of luxury. However, when we arrived we couldn't find anyone to help us. Carpet was being replaced in the reception area and the entrance area was full of workmen. We eventually found someone who gave us our key and we went to the room. The room was tired and old. The only way to see the view was to put our head out the window and strain around to see the ruins. Wifi was only available in their lounge and bar. (how convenient for buying their drinks). There was no breakfast included in the exhorbant price, although the sign outside the hotel advertised Bed and Breakfast. It is the height of summer but their was no A/C. And the worse thing was the plastic cubicle in the corner of the room. It was a bathroom like one you would find in a Winebago campervan. Tiny plastic round shower with no curtain, tiny plastic sink and tiny, smelly toilet. We were appalled. We went downstairs to complain and ask for our money back but the receptionist told us that she couldn't do that as we had already checked in. She did offer us another room for more money or one that she could 'probably let us have for the same amount'. We took the latter as we had no choice. The room was bigger and did have a real bathroom, although the hair dryer was stuck together with duct tape, some lights had blown and their were stains on the ceiling and walls. Our view was one of the turret balcony (which we couldn't stand on) and that obliterated any view bar a few inches over the top. See photos. We were also given a DVD on the castle. Hoping to get an insight into the history of the hotel we watched it, but found it was just a self promotion for the castle and a birthday party for the president of Kazistan (although they sung happy birthday to a photo of him).
    In a nutshell, I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. Too much money for nothing but a bed (albeit a comfortable one) and a toilet. We had the same facilities the night before in Travelodge, but for 19 pounds a night. For the same money we could have stayed in a 5 star hotel, The Grange in London overlooking the Tower of London, with far more facilities.
    When asked at the local shop where we were staying, we were greeted by laughter as they knew what a rip off it was.
    JUST DON'T DO IT

Unique Quality: The bed was ok

• "Experience is never cheap"

As my dad always says, "experience is never cheap." Well, I certainly learned something at the Camelot Castle Hotel. I read the mixed reviews, but I booked it thinking, how bad can it be? I mean, these people must be professionals.

How wrong could I be? Camelot Castle Hotel is like Fawlty Towers, only without John Cleese and Connie Booth. How so? Because it's a disaster, and it's not even funny. The shell of the building is okay, and the location is good (although the beach is a lie - cliffs and a rocky shore)... but this is a hotel that is long, long past its sell-by date. The furniture is battered, and the carpets are thin - even threadbare in places. One concern was that our room wasn't really secure: I was worried about leaving valuable in it because of the strange little "emergency exits" that lead from one bedroom to the next. A second, deeply bizarre feature was the caravan-style plastic cubicle that held a tiny shower and toilet. Which smelled a bit... drainish.

All in all, not a good setting for a romantic mini-break. But the worst thing of all was the tension and conflict in the atmosphere there. The owners treated the (almost entirely eastern european) staff like dirt! Admittedly, the staff weren't exactly on the ball, and the food was poor, but shouting at them in front of a guest doesn't make things any better. Quite the opposite; it mortified me, and made me afraid to ask for anything, in case I got a member of staff into trouble again. I really couldn't relax in that atmosphere, and couldn't wait to head for home!

Unique Quality: The location... Tintagel is gorgeous - as is much of Cornwall's coast. Tintagel's castle is a 'must visit' and this is the closest accommodation.

Directions: You can't miss it. Visible from Tintagel Castle. (The real one, in the care of English Heritage, that is.)

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Great location but not the best place to stay...

When I read about the Camelot Castle Hotel I knew I had to stay there. Who wouldn't want to stay in a grand, castle like hotel located on the edge of a cliff with stunning views over old castle ruins and the ocean?!

We booked a one night stay in a "Classic Four Poster Room – spacious room in a traditional castle style with Four Poster Bed and stunning views of the Atlantic and the Old Castle Ruins with en-suite shower facilities".

Upon arrival the place seemed deserted - there were no hotel staff to be seen anywhere. We hung about the foyer for almost 10 minutes before someone appeared (there was no bell to summon anyone, and we couldn't even phone them as there was no mobile range). The same thing happened that evening when we went down to the bar for our 'complimentary welcome drink'.

Unique Quality: Our room (nbr 117) was indeed spacious and had stunning views and a grand four poster bed. The shower and toilet were housed in a plastic pod type capsule to one side of the room (like something from a caravan) and were very cramped. The décor was pretty shabby and the room could have done with a bit of a spring clean, and a new mattress. But I did love that view.

The whole hotel seemed to be covered in art work that had been created by one of the owners, and I must say I'm not a fan of his work. It really didn't fit with the grand castle atmosphere and looked very out of place. For example, the look of the impressive dining room was totally ruined by the countless large canvases covered in pink paint with glitter swirls and stuck-on butterflies - I kid you not!

We ate dinner and breakfast in the dining room, and the art work, coupled with the terrible euro-trash music they were playing really spoilt the mood. It probably didn't help that the food wasn't anywhere near as good as they think it is, and the service, although well meaning was amateurish.

Bottom line - loved the location of the hotel and the grandness, not to mention the fabulous round-table in the foyer, and those coastal views. Glad we only stayed for one night though.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Hotel Castle of Camelot

This castle has a perfect situation, overlooking the Ocean and the ruins of Tintagel Castle .

The prices go from 40 pounds normal rooms and breakfast up to 75 the special 4 poster rooms.

More about Camelot Castle Hotel

LUXURY IN TINTAGEL

by GrantBoone about CAMELOT CASTLE HOTEL

We came down to Cornwall for a friends wedding and the reception was held here at Camelot. A beautiful fully restored hotel roght on the cliffs edge!

The Charm of Camelot Castle

Hello! I'm from Switzerland and it was the first time I went to the UK.
I was really luky to choose to go to the Camelot Castle. Why? Because it was fascinating. When you arrive, there is the first thing you see an impressive castle and behind the sea.
Just this view would be enough to go there. But when you go inside the castle, the heart of those people who love art will beat faster.
So the mine. Such a lot of creative paintings I never saw before.
Also the service and the food were delicious and the castle is fit out beautifully.
Another interesting thing to read and see is the story of King Arthur, which you find by going down to the lovely beach and the changing sea.

All in all it was a great, amazing adventure to go to the Camelot Castle, and I recommend it really to everybody.

Liäbi Grüss us dr Schwiiz
Nice greetings from Switzerland; written in Swiss - German)

Mirjam Hostettler

Inspiring!

From reading the other reviews on here, there are either people who ‘get’ Camelot castle Hotel or don’t. I totally got it.
What a fabulous place. I booked the hotel on a pure whim, as a surprise for my partner. Not the kind of place we would usually stay at. I tripped over it by googling hotels in Cornwall. The website is absolutely delightful. It hints at the delight of the place without giving away its secrets. So the rooms are a bit outdated, the en-suite an interesting challenge for a lady of my superb stature (although completely usable). Though where else though would you find such large rooms, with wonderful tall ceilings, swishing sash windows? Even better than that, you will find the resident artist’s (& co-owner Ted Stourton) inspiring work adorning the walls of said rooms. Camelot Castle Hotel is so well situated; the views all around are fabulous. I do a fair bit of energy work myself, and the maze (or circle as I would refer to it) is in perfect situ, physically and energetically. I am disabled, but managed a good couple of leisurely walks around the hotel grounds, and I was well rewarded for my efforts, the cliffs up close are breathtaking. I’m unsure of what to say about the hotel management and staff without sounding like I’m a close personal friend. I’m not. The staff and owners are so hospitable. The bar it seemed was open whenever we needed a drink, very well stocked and the coffee is astounding. We had breakfast each morning, and had dinner two evenings out of four in the hotel restaurant and they managed to cater very well for two very fussy women. Not only did they do breakfast any way I liked it, but the chef put together two yummy vegetarian main courses at very little notice for my partner. We were very fortunate to meet both Irina & Ted whilst we stayed at the Hotel. We both very much enjoyed our chats with Irina, particularly discussing the finer health care points of the abundant tree ferns in residence!
Ted is a lovely gentleman; we were invited to experience the ‘light box’, which I would urge no one to leave the hotel without doing. I absolutely treasure the time spent with Ted, not only the art he shared with us, but also the music and the fabulous conversations.
I left Camelot Castle Hotel (sadly) feeling not only well rested, but inspired! I can’t wait for my next opportunity to get down there!

Pretty well unique and a must see sort of place

The Camelot Castle Hotel has a frontal view of Merlin's Cave sitting above and closely to the north of ruins of the very ancient community site that has attracted so much interest as a possible home of the historical King Arthur. If you are visiting to see the local archeology, walk down to the shore line, visit the sites and then make a circle northward back up along the cliff way to the Camelot Castle Hotel. Make sure that you do this before 4 pm as the November sun is setting. You will never forget the face on the cliffs that look just like a reclining Arthur.

Once at the hotel, be sure to sample the excellent coffee and have a good look at the artwork decorating the hall ways. Some of the best artwork jumps out at you unexpectedly and be sure to sit down and relax for a comfortable fifteen minutes or so listening to the music created locally.

You will be impressed with the calm and gentleness of the surroundings. The hotel is decorated in a very traditional decor, unassuming and appropriate for those seeking a quiet retreat from the central pathways, much as Arthur must have sought. Thank heavens for the wisdom of the current proprietors!

I can say that the hotel was for me an uplifting and pleasantly memorable experience, all the more so because I met the resident artist Ted Stourton, who went out of his way to discuss with me subleties of aesthetics and ethics in art as well as shown me how to sustain the Camelot experience through art and sound.

If you can paint, sing, or photograph and want to see the most probable Arthurian site in southern England, this Hotel in Tintagel would form a lovely base on which to organize your trip.

For the price the owners have given excellent value for money.

The "Light Box"

Whilst on holiday in Cornwall over the Chrsitmas of 2005 we decided to visit Tintagel and the old castle ruins dating from 500AD. On the same headland is an imposing building called the Camelot Castle Hotel which we decided to visit for a coffee (which was excellent). The austere exterior of the hotel belies the magnificant tranquil and very welcoming interior with roaring log fires. However the most impressive element is the fabulous displays of original art work throughout the hotel which is free to admire. The artist Ted Stourton shares his work alongside others that he has inspired through his artist residency programme at the hotel. Ted's personal work is amazing and takes you breath way with its orignality of style and content - you will not be disappointed. Futhermore and even more amazingly there is a thing called the "Light Box" which you must ask to be shown personally. Do not miss this oppprtunity it will help you see the world in a differant light. We were fortunate enough to be shown around by Ted himself which is an experience to be nurtured and remembered for years to come. Do not miss this place as it feeds the soul. Next time we are in the area we will not hesitate to stay at the hotel amongst its many rooms with stunning views. Enjoy!!

Out of the ordinary...

Having read the comments of other reviews, i can only say how i was treated on a business trip to Camelot Castle.
1 Staff VERY helpful and friendly
2 Very clean and tidy
3 Treated very well by all who i met
4 Rooms comfortable and clean
Ted, the resident artist was very friendly and welcoming. The views from the rooms are Stunning.....

If you want somethingout of the ordinary then Camelot Castle is for you...

Exciting experience with the light box

Seeing the Light Box was very exciting. Very friendly waiters, you can stop and take only a coffee.
One of the owners, Ted Stourton is a veryinteresting person, who guides you around in Camelot Castle.

Wonderful surroundings and we had wonderful weather!

Camelot Castle HotelCamelot Castle Hotel

Camelot Castle Hotel - where we stayedCamelot Castle Hotel - where we stayed

Really bad Photoshop "beach" at Camelot CastleReally bad Photoshop "beach" at Camelot Castle

Comments