Trebarwith Strand, Tintagel, Cornwall, PL34 0HB, United Kingdom
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Tintagel

Old Castle ruinsOld Castle ruins

Tintagel views - castle ruins in the distanceTintagel views - castle ruins in the distance

Terrible dessertsTerrible desserts

Irina's RestaurantIrina's Restaurant

How to get to Tintagel?

by vivakid

I would be visiting london some time soon. And Tintagel seems like a wonderful place to visit but I've been having difficulties finding more infomation about getting there from London to Tintagel. Is a day trip enough in Tintagel?

by leics

A day trip to Tintagel, even driving, is not really feasible. The AA travel planner:

suggests around 5 hours driving, but this does not allow for any traffic congestion/roadworks etc (and there are plenty of both in the UK).

It is easy to underestimate distances and travel times, because the UK looks so small. But our roads are often congested, our rural roads are often narrow and winding.

If you wanted to go there and stay the night, you might find something useful here:

or here:

The nearest railway station is Bodmin Parkway, and you would then need an onward bus or taxi. Details here:

Train times and fares: www.nationalrail.co.uk

by jamesfmunro

And in Cornwall, all of these apply...

by MikeBird

I agree with all of the previous posts but if you need some encouragement ... Tintagel is a wonderful place especially in May or June before the height of the summer season. The clifftops are great and the ruins of the castle community up there are a terrific way of getting your imagination going for what it must have been like back in the Middle Ages.
Hope you have a great trip,
Mike

Travel Tips for Tintagel

Invading Tintagel

by Elodie_Caroline

Well, this is sad to say, but my favourite part of this trip, was buying myself a Viking helmet and sword, out of one of the many gift shops.

Whilst I was sitting and having my coffee, a couple of French students came walking along in front of me, and one of them was wearing this luscious viking helmet. I have always loved the legends of the vikings, right from when I was about 6 years old. So I wanted a helmet like this too! The four of us went mooching through the shops until I found what my little heart desired; as soon as I'd bought it, it went straight onto my head, then I found a sword to go with it too!
It didn't bother me none, walking around Tintagel, with my viking helmet on and brandishing my sword. Simon dared me to wear it when we left Tintagel and were going for our cream tea, so I did!

Tintagel Post Office

by Elodie_Caroline

For myself, my husband, my sister and her husband, we liked this building the best of all at Tintagel. It's the old Post Office, which is no longer used as a P.O, and it's the most crooked little place that you could ever see. It is now owned by the National Trust, thankfully, otherwise council officials would be saying that this building doesn't reach the council's high standards and they would have it torn down.

Views from Tintagel castle

by Elodie_Caroline

So this is the views that you would get if you lived in Tintagel castle, quite pretty now and again and would be wonderful in thunderstorms, or when the sea was rough. But it's not the kind of place I would want to live, to be quite honest.

Looking at this though, and remember all of those awful steps, how on earth did Uther Pendragon and his ilk ever get up to Tintagel castle, it's not like they had good rock climbing gear in those days, is it. Come to think of it, did Igraine, Arthur's mother, spend her whole pregnancy indoors? She wouldn't have been able to get up and down to the castle, with a great big lump in front of her, would she.

Tintagel Castle - The Island Courtyard

by illumina

At the top of the extremely steep steps leading up to the island section of the castle, you reach a battlemented wall with a gate through it. This was actually built by the local vicar in 1852, to replace the original 13th century wall which had fallen down the cliff behind it, along with one end of the Great Hall. To the right of the path you will see the service rooms belonging the far end of this Great Hall, while to the left, backed up against the steep grass slope are the remains of a two-roomed building with a flight of steps up the nearer wall towhere there was once an upper floor. This may have been a private chamber, intended for the use of the Earl on his rare visits to Tintagel.

Tintagel Castle - the 'Iron Gate'

by illumina

If you walk though the archway in the famous battlemented wall that is most often seen in photographs of Tintagel, a path to the right leads down to the Iron Gate - a defended rock-wharf where ships could be tied up in calm weather.

Comments