46 Tregolls Rd., Truro, TR1 1LA, United Kingdom

More about Truro

Original 1859 support Pillar vs. the 1902 versionOriginal 1859 support Pillar vs. the 1902 version

Understated Christmas DecorationsUnderstated Christmas Decorations

River Kenwyn is Channeled Along The LeatsRiver Kenwyn is Channeled Along The Leats

A View During My Stroll into TownA View During My Stroll into Town

Traditional Pub with rooms

by airkarat

Hello from Canada,

I have been filtering through the many B&B's in the Falmouth / Truro area and am most interested in staying in one of the old traditional inns with the low-ceilinged pub, etc.

The Roseland Inn in Philleigh and the Victory Inn in St. Mawes share a website that now only describes the Victory Inn. It has only two rooms and I am trying to find accomodation for two couples and a single. The owner has suggested the single stay 'minutes away' and I'm wondering if he is planning to place our 'straggler' in the Roseland. It is very difficult to find reviews of just the Roseland in Philleigh (regarding accomodations). I will request we all stay at the Roseland rather than splitting us up. Has anyone an opinion on these two?

Or does anyone know if the Pandora Inn near Mylor Bridge has rooms? One website said it was a well-known 'hostelry' - does this mean its a hostel? or is that a term for a place to drink? I've already embarrassed myself trying to convince the receptionist at the Trengilly Wartha Inn that a 'cot' would be suitable for our adult friend. Here in Canada, a cot is a full-sized roll-away bed.

So I need help and advice before I start trying to make reservations again.
Thanks..

Lisa

by leics

Can't help with your first question, I'm afraid. But a 'hostelry' is a pub/ inn. Not a hostel. Or a hotel. May or may not have rooms nowadays. A very old word.......landlords of pubs were traditionally referred to as 'mine host', though not usual to do so now. Hope you sort something out!

by bonio

Maybe the Hawkins Arms at Zelah, 5 or so miles north of Truro may help. It's a village local just off the main A30 road, not sure about a website but the tel number is 0044 1872 540339. There are several options a little further away, any more info I'm happy to help, happy hunting! Bonio

by obiwanwasabe

Hiya,
Sorry for the late reply. The roseland at Philliegh is an exellent old 16th century coaching inn, with all that you are looking for incl low beamed ceilings and good food, egon ronay recomended, and beers. the location is convenient for Truro, Falmouth and St Austell, there is a ferry close by,king harry ferry, that takes veh across to Trellisick gardens and a pass ferry from St Mawes to falmouth.
Pandoras, although well placed riverside at Restronget, is well and truly on the tourist trail and very busy all the year round.
Look also at Blisland Inn at Blisland and St Kew inn at St Kew both near Bodmin.
Forget Tengilly Wartha it is well over rated and the food is well below standard.
Nick

Travel Tips for Truro

Truro is Located HERE

by Bwana_Brown

When you have driven this far in England, you don't have to drive very much further to reach the Ocean! Truro (the 'black' dot in the map) is centrally located in Cornwall, being only about 9-10 miles from either the north coast or the south coast and, if you keep on heading west for another 30 miles (50 km), you will find yourself at Land's End, the most westerly tip of England.

The upper pointer on the map indicates the section of north coast where we walked along the rugged 250-foot cliffs west of Portreath on Boxing Day, Dec. 26, 2005. The pointer on the right side shows the location on the gentler south coast, near Mylor and just above Falmouth where we had a very pleasant summer walk in June, 2000. Both experiences are described in my 'Things to Do' tips. The bottom line is, Truro itself has plenty of attractions but it is also ideally located for small day trips to further explore this part of Cornwall.

Shopping Sprees

by sandysmith

Guess they must have long shopping sprees here judging by this sculpture!
Some bright spark has added this message, "wake me when my wife has finished shopping at Vages". Must be a big department store!

My previous destinations :)

by Ryan19772003

"My previous destinations"

I have traveled to :

Brazil - Curitiba / Sao Paulo

San Francisco Twice

France / Lille

Los Angeles / Santa Monica

Switzerland / Grindlewald and around.

Next holidays will be starting on the 21st of may 04 ... Until the 19th of June 04. :
Melbourne AUS