Radisson SAS Hotel Durham

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Radisson SAS Hotel Durham

We loved it !!

by TripAdvisor Member JohnandDiana

I can honestly say that this is one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in, it’s was beautifully clean, has very helpful staff, and serves up a superb choice of quality food at breakfast. I would also recommend trying to book one of the rooms overlooking the river and Durham Cathedral – what a fantastic view !

We dined in the Felini Restaurant one evening and selected our meals from the fixed price menu – they were of excellent quality and very good value for money. Our only gripe would be the car park charges, is it really necessary to charge guest to park in Durham ? It’s not as if it’s near an airport.

Not great for business purposes but nice modern hotel

by TripAdvisor Member NorthStarRed

I stayed here one night in March09 on business but found it not really fit for purpose. The directions from the train station did not cover the route on foot and so although it's probably only 5mins from the train station I took a taxi for fear of getting lost - the taxi drivers get very angry about this as it's only a £3 fare so be warned - you need to take the route down the steps towards the city centre then over the bridge and it's there.
Check-in was odd, I wasn't even aware there was a pool, smoking area outside or where to go for breakfast until my collegues arrived and the young man checking me in seemed very unsure what he had to do. The room was paid for but he attempted to take payment?? The main problem however is lack of mobile coverage, no signal on blackberry or dongle all stay which makes working quite difficult. Rooms are very pleasant though and I'd recommend asking for a river view - the alternative is carpark. Nice bar, nice staff, nice decor, perhaps the issues we had were teething problems (TV not set up, showere unpredictable) as the hotel hasn't been open long. Nice uneventful saty in a comfotable room at a reasonable price but no mobile signal.

Lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member bmcd67

My wife and I have just returned from a weekend break in Durham.
This new hotel was first class. Superb rooms with loads of TV and radio channels on the plasma screen.Nice bathroom with heated floor.The Pace leisure facilities were excellent, good sized pool ,jacuzzi , sauna,steam room and gym with all the latest equipment. Breakfast was buffet style with something for everyone and the sat and sun breakfsat until 12 noon was a great idea.Did not eat at Filini restaurant, although a good choice.of menu. Pleasant staff in all areas of the hotel.We preferred to walk over the pennyferry footbridge. directly outside, with plenty bars and restaurants to choose from all within 5/6 mins walk from the hotel. The main market square was a further 5 mins walk. Also a nice walkway along the riverside outside the hotel into the town

An Asset to Durham I am Sure

by TripAdvisor Member BrianOxon

This new hotel (opened Nov 1 2008) is excellent. Well appointed with very friendly staff (that's the North for you I guess) this hotel will be without be an asset to Durham. Its location is super. Try for a river facing room and you have a short walk into Durham. Whatever you do there is always someone who will nit-pick. Oh did I tell you, the breakfast is only average but there again very few hotels (Du Vin) excepted seem to attach much importance to the quality of breakfast? With cafes so close, you might want to skip it and walk into town.

Fantastic Hotel in a superb location

by TripAdvisor Member brod22

The hotel only openned in November 08 - however the service and atmosphere was established and proffessional. We stayed in a standard room - however I would not describe it as standard. The room was spacious, modern, clean and extremely well equipped. There was even an ice bucket which you could fill with the ice machine in the corridor! There seems to have been no expense spared - the room was complete with a flat screen plasma, excellent hairdryer and well equipped mini bar.
The restaurant was well priced between 5-7pm - although we took a walk across the bridge where we found Chicitos, Nandos, Ask and a few more modern bars and restaurants. The leisure facilities were excellent - and I can thoroughly recommend the beauty salon - the 30 min facial was to die for!!!
There were no negatives about our stay - and I'm looking for another excuse to book up!
Look at Late Rooms first - as we saved a fortune.

by TripAdvisor Member antitan

Brand new hotel been open 6 months , stayed in the standard room which was very large with massive comfortable bed! flat screen tv, tea/coffee/mini bar/ lovely bathroom and complementary french toiletries - all the usual stuff you would expect. Our room looked out over the car park but didnt really matter as was 5 mins walk into town via the footbridge opposite hotel entrance. Car parking is £6.50 per day (bargain) Great choice at breakfast . We had lunch at nearby ASK which was fab and had a quick look around the city centre not a lot going on had quick look at the cathedral which was nice. In the evening went to the "Pumphouse " which is about 10 mins away by car would definately recommend this restaurant (but you need to book) from start to finish is was fabulous - great little touches, complementay bread and olives and chocolates at the end with coffee - very busy but well worth the trip!!!
Downside to hotel - just a few problems with Mobile Phone Reception and ITV 3 but work ongoing Mon - Friday to remedy this problem . And be careful parking your car as the spaces are veryb small !!!! All in all excellent hotel and would stay again if in the area.

Great hotel let down by staff

by TripAdvisor Member holidayhaymaker

I stayed at the Radisson SAS in Durham for two nights. The hotel is well placed in Durham. The Gala theatre is just across the river and the city's marketplace and Cathedral are a short walk away.
The public areas were spacious, airy, and immaculately clean. The double room was pleasantly decorated and of a generous size with all the amenities you would expect. The only criticism of the room was the speed of the free broadband connection - painfully slow (0.5 Mb/s).
My main complaint was our welcome at reception. The young lady receptionist was efficient in her job, but was unwelcoming in that she did not smile and was rather unfriendly. I was not the only person to think this as later on I shared the lift with a couple who were complaining about the same individual.
I would not let this put you off booking in at the Radisson in Durham, because it is an excellent brand new hotel with very comfortable accommodation.

Excellent for business

by TripAdvisor Member GordonD

Stayed 4 nights on business. Very comfortable recently opened spacious and well situated hotel on the banks of the River Wear. Restaurant pricey and a little pretentious but you can eat from the bar menu/room service menu in the restaurant if you ask, which I did and found this slightly better value. Very good leisure centre with pool, rarely crowded. Free WiFi throughout the hotel. 10 minutes walking distance from town centre (shops, restaurants, theatre, Castle and Cathedral), across pedestrian bridge right outside the hotel. The standard double room was a good size, well appointed, typical of its kind and very clean. I think however they should give you some biscuits on the tea/coffee tray and mineral water and charging residents for parking seems unfair. Got a good deal on LateRooms.

Nice hotel but glad it wasnt the height of summer

by TripAdvisor Member Puddycatwillum

Second stay in this hotel and fantastic staff, helpful, friendly and nice to have been upgraded as I was considered a regular!! The only downside was the room was exceptionally hot. Unfortunately there is no air conditioning, more a vent that pumps out a range of warm to very warm air into the room. This is a real shame considering it is a very modern hotel, and I was glad it was not the middle of summer. Maybe the air con wasnt working, but looking at the room descriptions on their website a/c is not mentioned and this is the only reaons why I have not rated the hotel as Excellent. Having lived in Durham for 20 years before moving to London, I can guarantee it is a great location with fantastic access to the market place, cathedral, castle, shops, bars, pubs, restaurants and the river! Not convinved about the "exceptional views of the cathedral and castle" per the website, but good views if you overlook the river. Durham is a great city and this is a very good hotel to stay at overall.

Better than The Marriott

by TripAdvisor Member LondonParisPeckham

My second stay in this hotel - I used to stay at The Marriott - who have got a lot of catching up to do and will lose a lot of business to the Radisson.

Big comfortable rooms, very modern style and free wireless broadband! Very useful and very rare in English hotels - Marriott might like to take note.

Good bar and Italian Restaurant is very good. They could add a few things to the bar menu but the food all round is pretty good.

It was busy when I stayed (the England Cricket team and their entourage were resident at the time) and the service at breakfast was a bit lacking - a lot of plates on tables not cleared away etc, maybe add a staff member to the breakfast shift.

Check in very efficient and friendly, I don't like the lifts - they are security locked and will only work with insertion of a key which means a lot of fumbling around to make the lifts work but a minor item and I realise they've got good intentions.

The gym is excellent - one of the best hotel gyms I've seen for a long time - free weights, cardio machines etc and plenty of room.

In conclusion, with a rate that's cheaper than the Marriott they will get a lot of business, its a big modern hotel, very clean, good service and good food - I liked it.

Georgian architectureGeorgian architecture

Durham Cathedral from the stationDurham Cathedral from the station

Crook Hall and its glorious gardenCrook Hall and its glorious garden

coat of armscoat of arms

Comments