Three Tuns Hotel

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 29% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• gwendar's Profile Photo

my stay at the three tuns hotel [2012 UPDATE]

have stayed in the three tuns hotel for my wedding anerversary,on they 11 and 12 of december,book a breakaway deal with hotel ,2 nights bed and brekfest and an evening meal for 2 persons cost me 118 pounds.this hotel is 3* rated and worth every penny,all the rooms are named after british generals and have all the comforts you need. i will be staying here again and can recommend this hotel.
    update august 2012 2nd visit nothing to add still great value

Unique Quality: this hotel is in the centre of durham,all the city sites are within 10 mins of the hotel, you will find a wide range of visitor information in the hotel lobby,and you have on site parking.

Directions: Out of the hotel turn right, then left up over the bridge and follow the street round to the market sq,this will take you 5/6 mins

• Proveres's Profile Photo

Good Spot

A mostly very good experience at this hotel. Staff very professional and helpful. They started breakfast service for me a few minutes early as I had an early train to catch. Some of the communal areas look tired (corridors etc), but the seating areas and breakfast room were very pleasant.

The room was a great size and had nice, older furniture rather than the usual flat pack stuff in mind-range hotels. The only real negative was the bathroom which (whilst being a great size) needed an update and some complimentary shower gel, soap etc.

Overall, very satisfied for my one night stay.

Directions: Very short walk to City Centre

• aah_stone's Profile Photo

The Three Tuns

This is a hotel not far from the Royal County and not far away in terms of comfort and facilities. It is part of the Swallow group.

Although The Three Tuns has no gym, the Royal COunty allowed patrons of the Three Tuns access to its gym in the past, although I am not sure if this is the case anymore.

Again I have never stayed here but would still reccomend it.

• Jigmonkeyuk's Profile Photo

Upmarket Accomodation

The Three Tuns Hotel is a 16th Centery Coaching Inn, discreetly modernised to retain many of its original features including open fires, stained glass ceiling, wood panelling, and beam timber.

Unique Quality: Stained glass ceilings, oak panelling throughout, real Tudor beams, original wood carvings and open fireplaces.

All guests have free use of a nearby leisure club complete with swimming pool, sauna, spa and fully equipped gym.

Directions: Accessible from the A1(M) junction 62 via the A690. Durham railway station is a three minute taxi ride away, alternatively Newcastle and Teeside airport 17 miles away.

More about Three Tuns Hotel

Could be a nice, little hotel

by TripAdvisor Member florianreiche

I was in Durham for the weekend from October 14th to 15th, 2006. I wanted to see the town and especially the cathedral (which is absolutely magnificent!). The location of the hotel for all this is great, you only cross Elvet Bridge and your are right in the middle of the place.

The hotel could be a warm and charming little place with lots of character. But unfortunately it is not. For a start the room was not clean, an old plaster was swimming in the sink. Furthermore, there was a lot of dust on the wallpaper which tried its best to flee from the wall in some places. The doors are very thin, so you can hear exactly what is going on in the corridor...

The breakfast was OK, with a continental buffet, warm things were made to order. The selection here, however, was quite good. Unfortunately some of the plates were still a bit dirty and the staff was not especially hostile, but unattentive (used plates were not taken away).

The reception staff, however is great, they can give you any information you want, and if they don´t know they will try to find out for you. They were friendly, effective and helpful!

To cut a long story short: It was OK for one night, as I was only there to get some hours sleep, but next time I would go elsewhere. The Marriott round the corner seems to be nice, but the rates are too ambitious for the place, too.

Tired but good location

by TripAdvisor Member bounce82

I agree with the reports on this site - the hotel really needs a renovation. The common areas are tired, and the whole hotel is far too warm - we stayed in November, but were still far too hot in the bedrooms and other areas.

No leisure facilities were available at the time of our visit.

Good location in the centre of Durham, but note that as the owner of this hotel group has just gone into Administration, the facilities are unlikely to improve in the near future.

Ok but rather noisy if your room was on the front!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Rossonwye

We stayed here for one night in october. The room was very nice a good size. Had a fridge , hairdryer tea and cofee making facilities, very clean. The only real problem was the noise, our room was on the front, we had asked for a no smoking and a quiet room, had hoped for a back bedroom away from the street noise which seemed to go on most of the night, Other than that the hotel was ok, glad we only stayed for one night/. Breakfast was very slow , we waited over half an hour to get it then the order was wrong! Reception staff were very helpful, just a pity the hotel was on such a busy road.!

Don't stay here if you are with a group

by TripAdvisor Member catkin3

We stayed here as part of a group. Our room was large but very hot. If the window was open to cool it down, you got the traffic noise from the very busy road running directly outside the hotel. Sirens from the nearby police station were a constant feature. There was absolutely no choice of dish at the evening meal - this was because we were booked in on a group tour and the unco-operative attitude of the staff was astonishing. If you had not registered as a vegetarian, you could not even have that option. We were so annoyed by all this that we missed our meals and instead paid for a meal in Durham. As we had booked an extra night at the end of the tour, we were amazed at the better level of service for breakfast on the last day. The moral of this sorry tale is that, if you stay at this hotel, do not do it in a group! The hotel was, like other Swallow hotels, somewhat shabby and understaffed. Do the management not realise that people are not going to return to a hotel if they are treated this way as a group? It is very shortsighted.

Top notch hotel

by TripAdvisor Member cobbia

Very good room and excellent location - only 5 minutes from the centre. Don't let the in-need of re-painting exterior put you off, the inside is very clean, although some of the furniture is a bit tired - this added to the appeal for me.

Well worth its money!

by TripAdvisor Member Lena76

Ended up in Three Tuns after originally having been looking for a B&B and a cheaper place, but once there I had to admit I got great value for my money. The location couldn't be better, just a three-four minute stroll from the heart of Durham - with plenty of little bars and restaurants on the way.

I had a large bright room although it was a single, thoughtfully furnished with a very generous bed and including a fridge with complimentary mineral water and fresh milk.

Cheap B&B quality with the prices of a Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Troveller

I was there just the last week of June. When we booking the room, middle of may, they gave us a price of £90, we asked to confirm it by email but never they did it even if we called another time asking the confirmation.
When we arrived to the hotel the price was £141 because it was the week of the graduations at the university.
The room was old as the bathroom.
In the morning the service for breakfast was chaotic, tee in the place of coffee, no coffee spoons, when we asked them they arrive 10 min later.
If I come back one day to Durham I will not in this hotel.

Comments