Redworth, Newton Aycliffe, Durham DL5

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Redworth Hall Hotel

Very family friendly

by TripAdvisor Member Kitkat1984

We enjoyed a two night stay at Redworth Hall, having read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor we were slightly hesitant at staying at this hotel but on a friends recommendation we decided to take our two children to this family friendly hotel.

The facilities are excellent for families with an excellent swimming pool, indoor and outdoor playarea. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We found the rooms clean and well appointed.

The only draw back to our stay was the restaurant, on our first evening the restaurant could not accommodate us until late, so we tried a reasonable pub in a nearby village. The second evening we pre-booked a table for 7pm in the hotel restaurant, it took nearly an hour to get our main course, having skipped a starter. The food was only just warm and not particularly good value for money. We did complain to the restaurant manageress who was apologetic and removed one of the item's from our bill. This was our only complaint.

There are currently some building works at the hotel, but this did not digress from our stay at the hotel and would recommend it to other families.

Unhealthy health club

by TripAdvisor Member koonz

One of the selling points of many hotels is the Health Club and its facilities. The Redworth is no exception but as a member of the Redworth Hall Health Club I have to warn any visitors to think twice about using the facilities. The club boasts a gym with cardo vascular and wieght training equipment and a pool with jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. Seperate male and female changing and shower facilities are also provided along with two family changing/shower rooms.
2005 was a year the hotel would like to forget as hardly a week went by without at least one of the poolside facilities or the pool itself being out of action. There have been some improvements in 2006 although there has been the odd breakdown of the sauna/steam room and jacuzzi although only for a short time.
The main problem is the lack of staff and the dirty conditions in and around the changing facilities. Families use the pool on a regular basis but I have concerns over the lack of available trained lifeguards among the so few staff. The changing rooms for both men and women are allways dirty and I have seen worms and and other creepy crawlies in the mens shower facilities. Given the dirty floors I am not surprised to see these additions. I recently had to clean the floor to the changing room myself and a femail member recently took a towel to one of the shower cubicles to clean the hair from the tiles.
By all means visit the hotel and use the facilities but bring flip flops to wear and think of using the family changing rooms to change in and shower. I do. If you and your family use the pool think safety and check with staff that they have trained lifeguards on duty and available should anything happen in the pool. (I have yet to see an in cident where a lifeguard was needed but better safe than sorry) Members do inform staff and management of any problems but they seem to persist.
The facilities are the best in the area, it is a shame that so little is done to maintain high standards of health safety and cleanliness. Enjoy your stay.

Outstanding.

We have stayed at the Redworth 3 times (2002, 2004 and 2005). Each time, more delightful than the last. Rooms are historical and beautiful. The food in both the Conservatory and 1744 were delicious. The customer service from the dining room to our bedroom was excellent. The surrounding grounds had us daydreaming as to what it must have been like in those glorious days of manor houses and castles. Looking forward to spending another Bonfire holiday with you.
Sincerely, Dr. Katherine Smythe

Building site

On arrival we were met by workmen removing furniture, stripping off wallpaper and deep excavations being dug by a jcb outside!
A very abrupt male member of staff took our luggage from us as our room wasn't quite ready, we were told it would be in our room - it took an hour of asking for it before my husband eventually went and found it himself!
On the positive side the evening meal was fabulous and the young waiters were very polite. (wine was very expensive £17 for the cheapest bottle or £5 for a small glass!)
The leisure facilities were lovely but its the first time we have ever had to pay for towels normally they are free when you go to the pool. (They were only 50p each but that's not the point.)
This hotel was not what we expected. They don't seem to be interested at all as most of the people staying there are business people.
All in all a very expensive and disappointing stay!

Lovely Looking Hotel but a bit underwhelmed

by TripAdvisor Member Wanderlust2

Idyllic setting in rolling parkland, sweeping drive, car parking a plenty. We had a Saturday evening stay and the renovations to the main reception, which is temporarily housed to the side of the property at the Health Club reception, did not affect the ambience at all.

Our room was fantastic. A front facing room over the park. Four poster, dab radio and cd player. All the comforts you would expect from a 4 star. so why not a great marking?

Well it can be churlish to complain sometimes but we were underwhelmed by the service. Now Saturdays could be the problem. This is a wedding venue and the staff looked under some pressure. We had to wait until after 9pm to get a dinner table because of the numbers of groups dining. No problem with that but it may be me but if you are paying £45 a head you dont expect the restaurant to have children running up and down past you or babies crying. This is a family hotel at the weekends so if you are a couple - beware. The food was ok but my roast duck arrived lukewarm and undercooked.

Probably the most disappointing aspect though was as were late sitting down we were the last table in the restaurant. The staff were cleaning the tables spraying disinfectant around us like some kind of cafe and shouting at each other about their weekend social life. You had to hear it to believe it! It sounds like we were lingering but actually we were eating our mains at the time!

A very pleasant stay

by TripAdvisor Member Darlolad

We stayed overnight for an Easter Treat. Whilst the hotel was very busy and full of families we still had a very pleasant stay. The food was excellent and we followed the instructions to book a table well in advance - which really paid off.
The leisure centre was excellent with lots of great facilities. The room was very comfortable with everything we required.
Only two small niggles to report.......
One was the restaurant at breakfast which was full to bursting and there were constant queues for tables and food. Obviously this facility is not capable of coping with a full hotel of guests and some better organisation may have helped to make the service better.
The second was waiting to check-out. I have never queued for so long to pay my bill !!! Very poor when they are tring to take money off you and only two people who have to deal with lots of other things as well. At the prices they were charging, they could have afforded to have a second check-out location in one of the lounges for people paying by electronic cards at the peak times.

Travelodge style at Ritz prices.....

by TripAdvisor Member fleur2

Really, really awful. My husband booked us in on a romantic weekend to celebrate our anniversary as he thought the Jacobean Mansion looked so lovely on the website and it made itself out to be a luxury place. Actually, as another poster on this board said, the Jacobean part is a tiny fraction of the hotel; it's mostly a bland Travelodge-style affair.

The food was not at all nice, and massively overpriced too. The Conservatory restaurant had real pretensions - it said on the menu that every dish was served with 'a panache of vegetables' - but frankly I could have done better at home and I'm not even a good cook. (And the 'panache of vegetables' was what mere mortals like me would call 'mixed veg'). When the waitress delivered our main courses, she put my husband's down with a furrowed brow, saying 'Here's your thingy whatnot'. (honest!). Let's face it, if the staff can't tell what the food is when they're looking at it, it's probably not a good sign. I had lamb shanks, which are difficult to mess up, and they were just about alright.

The staff were mixed - some sweet, some not so. The room was OK, but not great for the price. And the worst thing was that, being in the middle of nowhere, it was very difficult to go elsewhere to eat as we didn't know the area. We were meant to be there for three nights but I wanted to go after one.

What a disappointment! If only I'd read some of the TripAdvisor reviews before my husband had booked it. It would be OK for a business trip, and if you didn't stay for more than one night you probably wouldn't see the problems. But please, please don't go there expecting luxury, or for a special occasion!

Looks Good at First Sight, But!

by TripAdvisor Member DaveSpencer32

A business meeting so company booked at a special rate, thank goodness as the rates on the schedule were horrific. A large suite but in the attic and a sort of rural brick wall outside. Fawlty Towers should have been filmed here. Service perfunctoty, room, equipment not working ie phone and kettle. All a bit jaded although suite large and grand, stains on settee, no satellite television. Food, great hall is grand and old, food is just poor and cold, no not really but it rhymed, just not up to much, guests previous night had realy bad experience, waiter agreed and advised to steer clear of lamb! No attention to detail, a wedding too far has been held here methinks, looks good in brochures I would think. Perhaps sack management, sell hotel, re staff with Polish , give it all a good clean, stop staff loitering having a cigeratte in view of guests, so many things they could do to improve it.

Pleasant Country Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Birdie2boy

Selected this hotel for the country setting, and although it rained all the weekend this did not spoil our stay. Our room was on the second floor, nice and comfortable but a little worn out. Food in the restaurant excellent, good portions and variety on the table de hote menu. Breakfast equally as good. Drinks in the bar a little pricey. Handy for Durham and Gateshead Metro Centre. All staff very friendly and helpful.

disappointed

My wife and I and our three grandsons stayed three nights at the hotel.

The hotel and grounds superb:dinner very ordinary and unimaginative for the price we paid (certainly not four star quality).

Childrens menu very poor. Has the chef never heard of Jamie Oliver and his healthy eating campaign?

Billing procedure very clumsy, we were overcharged by almost £100. This should not happen at a class hotel.

Comments