Ambleside, LA22 0EJ , United Kingdom
Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Ambleside Lodge

Worst nights sleep of my life

by TripAdvisor Member Emmy80

We were hoping to spend a couple of nights in a peaceful lodge (as advertised) on our week off in September what actually happened was one awful experience I hope to never go through again. On arrival we found the mother in law of the owner, who greeted us to be quite rude and very intrusive. The room was shabby and in my opinion not of the standard you would expect at the cost of the room. When returning to our room later in the afternoon for a rest we found that loud music was coming from the room below us . We put up with the noise and went out for tea.
On returning at 10.30 the noise was the same this time accompanied by what we thought was loud talking and laughing. We put up with it until 11.30pm when my fiancé confronted the occupiers of the room, he said that the TV was actually not that loud and the guests below us could hear us walking around. The couple turned their TV down and we tried to get some sleep. However as the floor to ceiling sound proofing was none existent I had to spend most of the night listening to someone else's TV and people talking. After finally falling asleep I was then woken up to have to listen to the couple getting up to some night time loving!!!! TV and people noises continued till 4am in the morning!
We had breakfast that morning and then I went to make a complaint about the lack of soundproofing in what was supposed to be a peaceful lodge, the incredibly rude owner who was not even remotely interested then made myself and my fiancé confront the downstairs occupiers (who was only partly dressed) in the reception area. Embarrassing does not cover the experience, she (the owner) could have potentially created an explosive situation had not we and the other occupiers been so mild mannered about the whole thing. The owner refused to give us our money back and so we left after one night stay and lost 220 pounds!
In my opinion this is the worst place to have a peaceful, pleasant break - I urge anyone thinking of going - not to!

ambleside lodge home from home

by TripAdvisor Member GUMP1CAT1

We have just returned from the Ambleside Lodge where our stay was probably one of the best hotels we have stayed in. The staff were extremely friendly and could not do enough for us. The hotel itself is a beautiful building and very well furnished. Our room was enormous. There was a king size four poster bed,dining table and chairs, jaquzzi, television, dvd player, two large sofas , two single beds for the children and a beautiful large window which overlooked the gardens. Before we left for the hotel we did read some of the other reviews and after our holiday we cannot for the life of us figure out why anybody could find any faults. we would certainly recommend the hotel to anybody and we will definitely be returning. J & C ILEY.

Disappointing and overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member wayfarer0

We booked the oak pannelled room at £120 per night the day before through Tourist Information. They told us it was lovely. We were dismayed as soon as we went in. The lighting was dismal and the decor poor. The room was large but cheaply furnished although it did have oak panneling. There were various faults with the room which the staff knew about but hadn't remedied. Breakfast was served in a converted basement and was cheap. I would not go back.

Warning !! Don't stay here

by TripAdvisor Member asgmdd

Having seen the Ambleside Lodge on many visits to Ambleside we decided to stay there with friends on their 30th Wedding Anniversary. We booked the room with four poster , jacuzzi bath etc for our friends at £120 per night and a room for ourselves at £90 per night after looking up their website for more info .Guess what , its not what its made out to be in the website , on arrival the lady manning the reception , I believe to be the mother-in-law, had trouble finding our booking and demanded full payment there and then , We had paid the deposit by credit card and the rest by cash , it was then that we realised we had been overcharged , the £120 room went up to £130 and our room went up by £30 to £120!!!! . When we asked the owner about the change in rooms and the price increase he replied bluntly that ..we had a better room ! No explanation was given for the increase in price, it would seem that they just put the price up as they saw fit. Having now seen the rooms and found them to be nowhere near the quality shown or implied on the website we asked the owners again to explain the changes and we are still waiting , we therefore asked for our cash back ( £370) to be told that they would only refund it if they let out the rooms on Friday and Saturday night , we were offered one nights money back (£250 ) which didn't accept , So ....we wen't for the Police , our reason was to get an incident report to help with getting our money back thru our credit card and to establish the fact that we didn't threaten anyone and it was a dealt with calmly on our side . The PC attended but unfortunately he could only get the same one nights money for us ,we took this and asked that the no vacancies sign at the roadside was to be turned round so that they would be able to take in more people so that we would get our money back, they changed the sign in the entrance window which can't be seen from the road , when I phoned on Monday to see if they had let out the rooms I secured the info that the no vacancies sign at the road had not been turned around so there was no way they could fill the vacancies , she said they could never fill the spaces at that time of night (8pm ) , That weekend being the end of half term weekend there should have been no problem going by the number of people we followed that night in our search for new accom. Next day we found out that they have just took over the Lodge 6 months ago and going by the other reviews the trouble seems to have started then , this looks to be a poor reflection on the previous owners. The management have been contacted to see if they will refund our money but to no avail. Therefore we are persuing this matter thru other channels and are looking for more travellers experiences to hopefully get their money back as well ,Another worrying thing we saw was that they had my wifes credit card details on a slip of paper with our address and postcode on it in a plastic box on full display at the unattended reception desk , we asked the policeman to go back the next day to retrieve it as it mysteriously dissappeared when we asked for it and it couldn't be found when he wen't back , indeed I now have details of someone in Stockport who's details were on the old registration card he gave the PC to write down details for us . Quite worrying in todays age of fraud etc. To summarise The Ambleside Lodge is overpriced , poorly furnished , very unhelpful and unpleasant owners , not willing to accomodate late travellers and rude .Please don't go there!!!!!!!!

Fantastic weekend bolt hole.

by TripAdvisor Member Craigypops

I have just returned home from a fantastic stay at The Ambleside Lodge... I was worried having read some of the reviews listed on this site, but what we found was so different from the negative reviews.

We were well received and lots of info given at check in, our room on the ground floor was clean, functional and spacious. The Jacuzzi bath was brilliant... I went in it 3 times!!! There was a selection of DVDs to watch and tea and coffee making facilities. The soundproofing is an issue, however considering the age of the building and the amount of time spent in your room this didn't cause a problem; all I could hear were footsteps now and then.

Breakfast was excellent, really filled you up and staff even moved furniture around to accommodate our party. We found all staff to be most friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble.

Having stayed at the Queens early on this month, I would say The Ambleside Lodge knocks the socks off that place. This Lodge is cheaper, cleaner and happier place to spend a short break in.

Overall A+ I will definately book in again soon.x.

Better than expected

by TripAdvisor Member Nick2107

Having booked this in a rush on the strength of the website I was dismayed to later look at some of the reviews posted onto this site. Travelling up from London with my wife in a state of deep trepidation, we arrived to find that some of our preconceptions were true: Firstly the website is misleading and suggests a greater degree of quality than the real thing and secondly that they demand full payment on arrival.

That said, there were no offensive smells and nobody tried to charge us more than the agreed upon rate. On the plus side the room was very clean and although in need of a refurb the whole building itself seemed clean and well staffed.

I suspect what has happened here is a combination of two things. One, there are a couple of rooms that have bad drains and two, the owners are very bad at customer service beyond normal checking in and out and breakfast etc. My recommendation would be to inspect the room before you hand over the cash at point of checking in and avoid any such problems.

This was nothing to write home about but for the money we paid I don't expect 5* luxury. Yes, the website is unrepresentative but then it is a sales vehicle and therefore one should expect it to present the hotel in the best possible light. All in all, good breakfast, comfortable bed and a clean hotel - not great, but certainly worth the money.

Fine

They asked us to pay our whole bill on arrival, which doesn't give a good vibe, but the staff were friendly. The room was a bit tired decor-wise, and the bathroom needs 'tarting up' to match the quality of the bedroom (mirror, lightshade, etc.), but they were nice large rooms, and I loved the jacuzzi bath (good powerful shower too). Very slight smell in the room (noticable for about 3 seconds on entering it), but not surprising as it was an extension built/dug into the stone of the 'hill' the building's built on. They're still doing the 'you can eat takeaways in your room if you want' which the previous owners did, which can be useful as Ambleside's restaurants can fill up fast, but we didn't need it. You can help yourself to wine glasses too. Breakfast was good, very hot (unusual in b&bs!) and very quick. Friendly staff.

A little overpriced for what the room is - it'd be worth that price on refurbishment. But despite misgivings after reading earlier comments since the change in ownership, our visit was fine and we'd go back again to what has been our favourite b&b in Ambleside for several years.

Great stay

by TripAdvisor Member LancashireJem

We have just returned from a most relaxing stay at Ambleside Lodge and can not speak too highly of it. The service was very professional and attentive which, balanced with the relaxed atmosphere, made us feel very much at home. The hotel was spotlessly clean in every area - and for us, who are obsessed with cleanliness and checking an hotel when we arrive, this is something of an accolade. The bed was comfortable and to have a table and chairs in our room as well as easy chairs was fantastic. The owners added some amazing extra 'little touches' which made us feel very special and reinforced how much they care. Breakfast was very well cooked, very hot and efficiently served in a relaxing setting. We have stayed in many bed and breakfasts both in the Lake District and other areas nationally and it is fair to say we are very critical and not easily impressed, but in our experience this is up with the best. The only reason that we did not mark the hotel as 'excellent' at this point is because the decor is presently being upgraded further by the new owners (what they have done to date is of a high standard), although it is important to add that the current decoration is of a good standard and cleaner and smarter than the vast majority of others. We have nothing but praise, we will definately be returning and would recommend the hotel to anybody looking for a central Ambleside base but with the added benefit of peaceful surroundings.

Just Really Bad

by TripAdvisor Member nobby12

Just stayed at the most horrible hotel / B&B ever, it smelt really badly, the owners spoke to us like we should be thanking then for a stay at there smelly and outdated hotel also the breakfast was the worst ever, she really needs lessons, outspoken staff and for £110 a night this has to be the biggest mistake we have ever made in booking a nice getaway, we have been going away for over 20 years and have never been to a place like this, never again and be warned the female owner is the worst person I have had the misfortune to meet and will not listen to any complaint as she is always to busy to speak to customers.

The worst B&B in Ambleside

by TripAdvisor Member sarah2000h

This is the worst B&B I've seen in Ambleside. The owners are rude and it was a horrible experience. Be warned - don't stay here.

Comments