Although there has been a settlement since pre-Roman times, Ambleside is largely Victorian. A fort beside Borrans Park - named Galava - was built in Ambleside by the Romans, housing some 500 soldiers. It was built to defend the lower fells of South Lakeland from invasion by the Picts and Scots, and to guard the road to the Roman Port at Ravenglass via Hard Knott Pass.
The opening of the Lake Windermere ferry terminal at Waterhead Pier in 1845 created further expansion. Today ferries can be taken to Bowness and Lakeside.
Many well known characters have been connected with Ambleside, including William Wordsworth, Hardwicke Rawnsley, John Ruskin and Beatrix Potter. More about these people can be found in the The Armitt Museum, (opposite the main car park entrance).
William Wordsworth had an office here, in Church St, as a result of his role as Collector of Stamps for Westmorland. He was elected to the post soon after his family moved to their house at Rydal Mount.
St Mary's Church, completed in 1854, was designed by Sr George Gilbert Scott in the Early English style. It is mainly of local 'blue' stone, with a sandstone spire, an unusual feature for a Lakeland church. There is a chapel devoted to the memory of William Wordsworth.
Ambleside Civic Trust have produced a leaflet entitled 'Ambleside Heritage Trail', which guides you through some of the interesting parts of Ambleside, especially old Ambleside, highlighting building of interest, including How Head (above). This is the oldest building in Ambleside, and incorporates stone from the old Roman Fort, and river cobbles.
A short walk from the centre of the village leads to Stock Ghyll Force, a spectacular 70 foot waterfall which may be viewed safely from a railed viewpoint. In spring the area under the trees is a carpet of daffodils. Once there were 12 watermills driven by the power of Stock Ghyll and other local becks. The 17th Century Bridge House over Stock Ghyll is one of the most photographed scenes in Lakeland, and is now a shop and information centre for the National Trust.