Langdale Classic Hotel & Country Club

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Langdale Classic Hotel & Country Club

New Years' Eve in Langdale

by ClareBear about Wainwrights Inn

There aint much else to do in Langdale in the evening other than walk to the local pub Wainwrights. I have spent many an NYE (new years eve) in this pub. Firstly let me tell you the locals do not really like the people who stay on the Langdale Estate (I believe this group bought every pub, empty house and spare land in the area).
Every year on NYE they have a pub quiz, which is quite lively considering where you are. The customers range from staff from the Langdale Estate, to people who have rented cottages around this quite area to people like myself who refuse to pay £100 a ticket for enterainment at the Langdale Hotel Complex Walking boots are a must or everyone will think you are mental - comments to me and my friends included - well they are not walkers are they!! You dont look like you know much about the lakes. Dont get me wrong I did not have my clubbing gear on or anything, Jeans and a funky tshirt - but bear in mind you are in the Lakes and fashion sense could be looked upon as limited (I am from Liverpool where you generally get very very dressed up on Saturday Nights!)- Versace is unheard of and Sprayway takes it's place. If it aint a Berhaus then dont wear it YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Would not stay anywhere else in the lake District

We have stayed at the Langdale Hotel on at least four occassions and would not stay anywhere else. The staff are always curtious and helpful. The facilities are excellent especially if you have young children in tow. And finally there are some beautiful walks from the hotel.

Overpriced, little value

by TripAdvisor Member gwesty_cymru

Just returned from a few days in the Lake District. We were blessed with glorious sunny weather which made the scenery even prettier than
usual and the spring flowers were out in their full glory.

My partner and I walked miles along marked trails to the summit of Langdale Pike and Coniston Old Man, noteable feats for both of us.

So why am I writing this with an aching feeling that I have been mugged? Probably because of the ridiculous amount of money we handed over to the Langdale Hotel for accomodation which really wasn't up to the standard I expected.

The break was booked after reading their website and the positive comments on this site and others. These may well have been in good faith and true at the time but we were very, very disapoointed.

The roomrate is £170 b&b at weekends with a £40 supplement for a deluxe package. We opted for this and what a mistake. The promised bowl of fruit did not materialise. The bottle of wine was a quarter bottle of white - less than two decent small glasses in the bar downstairs. There were no glasses to drink this meagure measure save the plastic beakers in the bathroom. There wer also two small bottles
of water. The luxury toiletries were no better than those normally handed out at hotels. For the extra we also got the use of two Langdale bathrobes. If we wanted to take them away that would have been an extra £50! Of course when the room was serviced these items were not replenished but we were charged the extra £40 for the second
night.

The room was poorly furnished with just a bed, two uncomfortable chairs and a small table. There was no chance of sitting in front of the mirror and there was no chance of anyone using a laptop because the worktop did not form a desk. Not needed on a leisure weekend but this hotel does offer conference facilities.

The bathroom was a decent size and the whirlpool bath irrisistible. But we are fit middle-aged people and we had difficulty getting in and out of the thing. There are no grab handles except for one badly positioned one. Would the hotel accept responsibility for someone slipping on a wet floor? Doubt it. But a court would see it differently and of that I am professionally qualified to comment. Bosses take note.

The television is flatscreen and decent sized but has a limited choice of channels, mostly terrestrial and CNN.

The view out of the window for £210 was a car park and other rooms. Sound insulation is poor, we could hear clearly what the people next door were saying. We were awakened both mornings by the sound of delivery vehicles.

Food was OK. We ate one night at Purdeys but were charged the full rate of £28.50 instead of the DBB rate of £22 which we thought was a bit mean. Breakfast is buffet type and for the prices being charged could have been served in-room. This was not offered. Indeed very little of those little luxurious touches were offered during the etire stay.

We will be returning to the Lake District in the very near future but will be staying well clear of overspriced establishments like the Langdale.

Exceptional, as always

by TripAdvisor Member fortune82

This was not the first time my wife and I have stayed at Langdale, neither will it be the last. The perfect base for one of my favourite walks up to the Langdale Pikes and exploring further afield - I scared my wife to death driving over the Hardknott Pass to Wastwater!

The rooms and facilities at Langdale are all geared to making for a memorable stay. The food at Purdeys Resturant in the main building maintains a consistently high standard coupled with a good value wine list.

The pool, sauna and solarium are well maintained and clean. The shock of the ice shower has to be experienced. My only slight criticism was the age and condition of some of the gym equipment.

Gone downhill

by TripAdvisor Member fortune

I have stayed at the Langdale about 9 or 10 times + have always been very pleased with it. So, I thought I would be nice to take my fiance for his birthday.
Upon arrival, we were hungry so we decided to go to the cafe bar for a sandwich - we quickly decided against it as it was so smoky - hardly a nice atmosphere when trying to eat. Anyway, we went out and ate elsewhere + didn't think much more about it.
The next morning we went for breakfast - or what there was of it. The hotel was busy + we went down at about 9am. There was hardly any food left - not a good selection of fruit - there were bananas but they were rock hard + green, no danish pastries + muffins that were 3 months out of date. When I asked if there were any more danish pastries I was told "If there's none in the basket then no". I asked the waiter if there were any more muffins as the ones on display were 3 months out of date - all he said was "thanks for showing me". Also,when we checked out the receptionist was dealing with us + the phone rang + she just walked off with no apology or "excuse me". I am not one of these people who will complain about anything but I thought this level of customer service was very bad. I have stayed at the Langdale on many occasions + have loved it but this time I was very disappointed.

dont stay here

looked ok on the web,but on arrival, the pool was out of action, we have a young family so that wasn't good. assured it would be ok in 6 hours. the rooms were ok but the feeling was that it was in decline. generally tatty. then a 3 hour power cut at 8pm, great. the next day we tried to use the pooll again, still out of action. on check out i asked for a reduction in the bill, the staff were very rude to put it mildly. think twice before you book, don't be fooled by glossy ads.

Good hotel - just avoid the leisure club :-(

I was treated to an overnight stay at Langdale in September last year as a birthday treat. I could not fault the hotel or the restaurant as it first class service!

HOWEVER, the following day I made use of the leisure facilties, including a large jacuzzi. This resulted in damaged hair/jewellery/clothes.

They have not offered me any compensation and refuse to admit liability!

Avoid!!

great escape!

by TripAdvisor Member mollyjane

ROOM - large, clean, tidy, well furnished, we also had a queen-size bed, huge!

BATHROOM - new with airbath, super!

BREAKFAST - lots of choice, polite attentive staff. and i loved the goldfish!

TERRACE - good meal, pleasant ambience.

COUNTRY CLUB - Super! large, clean pool. steam room with coloured stars in ceiling, large jacuzzi, very large sanarium (sauna) with glass walls - different than any id been in. plenty of chairs to relax in and have a good read!

WAINWRIGHTS PUB - short walk away up the lane, very dark at night! take a torch, (or drive like we did!!)
great ambience, and food. quiz night tuesday.

all in all a great break, even if the weather was dull and damp. might even go again in the summer! have a great time!!

Loved The Langdale

by TripAdvisor Member britne

Have Just returned from a two night break at the Langdale.We stayed in room 103 in the hotel proper.The site is set off the beaten track in the beautiful Langdale valley approximately 4 miles from the centre of Ambleside.The site is made up of timeshare lodges and the main hotel itself which also includes a really lovely leisure club,Terrace restaurant and also the main restaurant "Purdeys".
We stayed in a deluxe room for the two nights and found it to be excellent the bed was big and the most comfortable we have ever slept in at any hotel.The room had all the usual things and a flat screen tv on the wall.The bathroom included a fabulous double jacuzzi bath( and there was always plenty of hotwater available to fill it).Whilst staying at the Langdale is not cheap it is (by lake district standards) we think quite reasonable the Whitewater hotel at the bottom end of Windermere costs more and just isnt as good.
We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis and the breakfasts are excellent.There is everything you want and it kept us going all day (very filling).The staff too are very good and always helpful and nice most are youngsters working there for the season and are just great.As mentioned in previous reviews you can eat in the hotel at the terrace or at purdeys or you can use Wainwrights pub down the road in the village of Chapelstile.Be warned though Wainwrights is VERY popular and whilst we were sitting enjoying a drink outside the pub people were turning up at 5.50pm to queue for a table.There are of course plenty of other restaurants and pubs just a short driveaway if you prefer.
All in all then we would heartily endorse previous reviews on this hotel and found it to be excellent in every way.Go and enjoy what it has to offer yourself if your ever up that way we certainly will return.

Dirty and Badly Managed

by TripAdvisor Member EmilyJC

We first stopped at the Langdale 3 years ago and to be honest it was not too bad. We usually stop at the Swan Hotel in Newby Bridge but it was fully booked so thought that we would give the Langdale another whirl. How different things were this time. They were late sorting the room out and when we did get in I could not believe how everything looked worn and dirty in room 135. I had made my mind up once and for all that after spotting numerous pubic hairs in the bathroom and on the bedroom windowsill I would make my departure regardless as to whether or not I would have to pay for the full stay. I was prepared to go home rather than suffer. There was no way I was coming from my beautifully clean house in Lincolnshire to put my two children into a dirty worn out room. We went straight to the duty manager, who was very good and apologised. She placed us in an upgraded room on the waterside No 173 which was much better. A message to the Langdale is to get every room to this standard and everyone would have a better stay! I think hotels think that if you have children then you do not want a decent room and all you want is budget! You could not be further from that in my case!!!! The place seems to have too many foreign workers who to be honest most of the time are very very rudeand probably do not wish to work to british hygiene standards. Our room did not get a service the second day and we made do with the same towels. No smiles from the staff just rudeness especially at the terrace bar. The food was very average and I thought the breakfast had not much taste. The prunes were dry and chewy and the cooked breakfast comprised of sausages that smelt of a pig sty, rubbery fried egg, tomatoes that had absolutely no taste, the scrambled egg had an inch of water in the base. The best thing was the bacon, mushrooms and the cereal. The evening meal was not much better I am afraid to say. We had been given the wrong menus (we got the previous evening menu). Maybe I am used to organic food whereby I actually get taste from my food, carrots should taste like carrots and not of nothing, the beef was far too overcooked and the yorkshire pudding had definitely come from the freezer!!! The worst offender was the roast potatoes. They were without a shadow of a doubt done in a deep fat fryer, gross utterly gross. The pudding was fine although I suspect was bought in. If any of you thought the food was good may I suggest a trip to your doctor to check your taste buds because it was bland beyond belief and only the salt and pepper pot on my table could make it edible. So would I stay again? No not unless another manager came in, blitzed the place, sacked the catering section and gave the staff some happy pills. Although I would feel as unhappy as them if I had to work there too!

The Old Bridge HouseThe Old Bridge House