Jeffersons

Jeffersons Hotel
Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Barrow in Furness

Yates'sYates's

Gammon and real chipsGammon and real chips

Larger scaleLarger scale

Family pub lunchFamily pub lunch

Travel Tips for Barrow in Furness

Submarine Launches

by nickandchris

2007 saw the launch of the Astute submarine, built by BAE. at Barrow. These launchings always attract large crowds of ocals and in fact, when was at school on Walney, we would always walk dwn as a whole school and watch the event from Walney prom. Nowadays, I think its not quite as big an issue, not as many ships built and the health and safety aspect.

Ships and subs are always launched by royalty at Barrow.The Astute was launched by Camilla Parker Bowles, maybe not quite so high up in the royal chain but she still attracteda good crowd. The only part of her we saw was the huge helicopter taking off from Walney airfield after the event.

The Astute as launched on one of the rare hot days this summer which no doubt made it more of an event. Better than standing in the pouring rain.

The submarine launching was not actually into the water this time, only out of it's shed, as more checks had to be carried out. At least this meant we could all view the Astute from Michaelson Road Bridge. I think she sailed a couple of weeks later.

Barrow in Furness

by PippaFoxen

"The place of my birth"

Some time in the future, I will look back with nostaligia at my lowly beginnings in the terraced streets of Barrow. For the moment I try to avoid the place, though there are undeniably nice bits. Most importantly, The Canteen, Barrow's best music and entertainment venue. See more on my tips.

They say "Home is where the heart is"

by dracul_wamphyri

If that's the case, my home must be worldwide!

Barrow in Furness - grey skies and even greyer people! What does it have to offer? Well, I suppose there are a few attractions . . . the Abbey was one of the last Crusader strongholds . . . apparently. It's a good place to visit, well worth spending a day there. We also have a history of shipbuilding, evidence of this can be seen at the Dock Museum. This frequently houses exhibitions by renowned artists too, so you may be lucky when you visit.

Summer's Arrived On Walney.....

by nickandchris

"Summer Scenes...."

As Cumbria was basking in high temperatures and enjoying wall to wall sunshine, we decided to have a night free camped on a local beach on Walney Island, in the motorhome.
Loaded up with our boat and supplies for the night we found the ideal pitch.

"Blot On The Landscape"

Looking straight across the Irish Sea with the Isle Of Man making an appearance as the haze cleared, this was a dream pitch. The only blot on the landscape was the windfarm out at sea on the horizon. Unbelievably, when the tide is out, you can hear the noise from these monsters.
High tide was around 4pm. so we aimed to have the boat in the water by then.

"Catch Of The Day..."

There hadn't been a breath of wind all day, until we were in the water. White horses even appeared. The outboard started to misbehave and kept cutting out.
Philip was the only one to catch anything, a hermit mackerel which he later devoured after being cooked over an open fire. Not a morsel left for me!!!!

"Boating..."

As I said, it got a little rough and we got a little wet. It wasn't a problem with the air being so warm. Clothes soon dried.

"Ripples"

The hard sand has amazing ripple formations which are quite painful to walk on at times. i believe this is from the action of the waves.

"Free Camping"

Prime location. What a view. See how crowded it is!!!!

"Is This really Walney??"

Yes, the boring sunset pics. It was quite a magnificent sunset for the north of England.

"And More...."