Windermere, Bowness-on-Windermere, LA23 1LW, United Kingdom
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Langdale Chase Hotel

My heart is at the Langdale Chase

by TripAdvisor Member filmdreamer

Wow, my visual senses are satiated after a weekend at the stunning Langdale Chase hotel on the shores of Lake Windemere.
I stayed last year while filming Peace Walker, shot during our 1100 mile trek through the UK and was stopped in my tracks by this gorgeous place, complete with fantastic antiques, paintings that looked like they should be in a museum, and friendly and welcoming service.
I knew I had to return and i did do after a year, planning to take the time this trip to explore the area and lake..as an American, i am used to a certain standard of service not found everywhere in the UK.I am thrilled to report that the Langdale Chase has some of the best and most unpretentious service as of any place i have stayed.
My only regret is that i cant move in and stay permenanty!
oh, and be sure to check out lovely Bowness, one of the prettiest towns i ahve ever seen, a five minute drive from the hotel.

Avoid this hotel at all costs

by TripAdvisor Member catrippers

We had a thoroughly unsatisfactory stay on May 24th. Everything about the room was old and badly worn including the bedding. Neither my wife nor I could sleep much that night due to itching from the linen. The management suggested we could be allergic to the starch used in the laundry, however, having stayed in hundreds of hotels worldwide we did not buy that one. The pressure from the showerhead was pitiful. We paid $280 for the room and it was the worst value hotel room we have ever stayed in. Now, on our return to the US my wife has scabies for which the incubation period is 4 to 6 weeks. Our stay at the Langdale Chase was precisely 5 weeks prior to the condition presenting.

It is remarkable that the reviews on this hotel seem to be divided between those who were totally wowed by the place and those who find it abominable. We found after checking out early that it is possible to find a hotel within three miles of the Langdale Chase that has clean bedding up to date bathrooms with plenty of water pressure and is a pleasure to stay at for two thirds of the price. If you require the luxury of television you have a 13 inch set and as for internet well that is out of the question. We would give the Langdale Chase a zero if possible but the lowest we can award is a 1.

The Best Day of my Life

by TripAdvisor Member NitaAndover

I found Langdale Chase on the internet when I was looking for somewhere to get married. I am so glad I found them. The hotel is oozing charm and character and the staff are second to none. We got married last Monday in the hotel itself and I can honestly say it was the best day of my life. The staff made us feel like we were the only people that had ever had ever got married there. Everyone said it was the nicest wedding they had ever been to. We arranged for a boat to pick us up at the hotel's private jetty and take us and our guests around the lake for an hour as the sun was setting. The views, the grounds, the food, the ambiance, I could fault nothing at all. The day after our wedding our guests all left and we had two nights on our own. Without knowing anything about it, the hotel staff set up the gorgeous oak room for us to dine in, with a table for two overlooking the lake, candles lit and romantic music playing, and a complimentary bottle of champagne, we felt like celebrities. When we left we couldn't bear to think it was over so we have booked to stay in the boathouse for our first anniversary next year. If you want good old fashioned english charm, courtesy and romance then this is the place.

excellent

by TripAdvisor Member swissjen

We attended a wedding at the hotel and I have to say it was absolutely wonderful. The hotel overlooks the lake and has spectacular views. The room was very large with a seperate seating area and the biggest hotel bathroom I have ever been in. The staff were very friendly and helpful and wedding meal and breakfast in the morning were fantastic. I could not find fault with the hotel at all. The wedding itself was very well organised and for a civil wedding I could not think of a better venue.

great location and stff but tired rooms

by TripAdvisor Member martlad

I recently attended a wedding and stayed for 2 nights. As stated by others, the views and location cannot be bettered. The wediing breakfast was run well and the food good. Also, the staff were fiendly and generally helpful. However, the room we had in the main part of the hotel was tired - the decor and furnishings were not exactly scruffy but in need of replacement. The TV was a 14" that you wouldn't be able to give away (I don't think a TV is even necessary so why bother). There is some lack of attention to detail - there were long standing cobwebs on both windows and my mothers room had no milk. Small details maybe but not something expected from a hotel that 'provides 5 * service' as stated in the brochure. The bathroom had no shower and although there were a few toiletries, the bath and sink where serviced by soap dispensers like you get in a Holiday Inn Express. Overall, the hotel is great for weddings with its photo opportunities but don't expect luxurious rooms.

Overpriced, stingy, bad service for non-important guests even in top-price room

by TripAdvisor Member L.V.2

We recently stayed in room No.27 (as top-priced room, superior deluxe room) with our 2 children. First of all, as other people says, room is very basic, bathroom is very small. Only 4 channels are available on TV. Although room is supporsed to be lake-view, it is a corner position. Window is not so big and outside of the bedroom you can see the kitchen buildings and smell from the chimney. and this room is located on 3rd floor without lift but no explanations given from the hotel on booking. We explained our party and they recommended this room. we paid £10 for a cot per night and £20 for an extra bed, but both cot and bed are very old and tired, especially my 4-year-old son's bed's spring was absolutely worn-out and soft so, he was nealy 'drowned' in the bed. why should they charge £20 for him per night? They seem not bother supplying 'proper' bed and cot which base board was sagging as well. 4 people stayed in the room but only 2 teacups are supplied, not enough teabags and coffee(1 sachet). 2 biscuits were only supplied just for the first day. As we have small children we asked to have fresh towel each day, but they were reluctant to give us, probably for cutting-the-cost. It is not like £200 a night deal (excl. dinner!). The breakfast choice is very poor, and rule was changed every morning with no explanations which is very bizarre. First day we were given a proper menu. Second day menu was dissappered and very limited choice of buffet-like style but if you look carefully other guests were still placing additional orders. Quite a few European foreigners were working as waiters/waitresses, and they kept interrupting our table and attempting to take away our plates with still food on, without asking whether we have finished or not. It is very rude, like 'vultures'. It happened couple of times each morning. That must come from the 'education' of the restaurant manager whoever she/he is. Bar menus which they never state on website were not only pricey but not nice. As we needed to dine before restaurant opens, and Bar meal corner opens before restaurant does, and accoding as the hotel reception recommended, we decided to use this facility, but it was horrendous. We ate a food in their very small conservatory, which was no atmosphere, no music. Some people were reading papers quietly, or eating without any conversations. You can only hear the sound of cutlery which people are eating. (like a morgue?) It was a pain. My husband ordered beefstake sandwich which bread was hard and meat was not nice. My lamb dish was over-seasoned and too salty. There were not cheap. Yes apart from these situations, some wedding groups were happily celebrate in the next room, next balcony which seemed the most important things to them. One evening I asked an room-sevice menu, which was today's fish menu. The receptionist explained what kind of plate it gonna be and the actual served one was complete different- plain grilled salmon with non well-presented- boiled new potatoes and very hard carrots and parsnips without any green vegtables. She said fish was served with mushed potatoes with pea sauce and selection of vegitables. Why so different, I dont undrestand. On 3rd night, scary things happened. Around 10PM when I was relaxing at the table in the bar, some customer's big dog on loose came into the bar corner and started sniffing around the table and the dog eventually approached me and tried to eat some food from my plate. I jumped up and took my plate away from the table. Their rulebook in the guestroom say the dogs are not allowed in the public area, which sound completely different. As soon I said the hotel rule and the customer with a dog said some silly joke, this is a guard dog to protect against dangerous people,,etc. Young foreign two barman which served a selection of cheese without any knowleage, (he said he does not know the names of cheese on the plate.) had no clue what was going on. It was very unconfortable for other guests and even seemed to be against health and safety rules as an proper hotel. Overall, very unprofessional way all over. Their target is to make the wedding guests happy ever after, but apart from that, they completely forget something to ordinary guests. Yes, they have a beautiful location, beautiful garden. But we think they are really struggling financially, and they want to charge the top price, but want to cut the cost as much as possible. This hotel is totally not suitable for families expecially with small children. Maybe even not suitable for people who love lively cheerful atmosphere neither. I was looking forward to staying in this hotel. I did not bother paying the top price for the 'superior luxious' room for our special holiday. Totally overpriced, the room was not worth £200 a night at all. (and there is a big wasp nest just outside of the room door- they kept spraying the nest- but it was just too dangeous.) Anyway, beware if anybody want to book this hotel. They never explain any particular topics unless you speak up. It was a very bizarre hotel. Do not be fooled by their glossy brochure. I just believed and expected the quality of 'hotel of the award' last year..

out of this world

by TripAdvisor Member yyyyyyyyyyyyyy

We were married in the lake District on 22nd August 2006 and stayed at the hotel in the boat house for the night. The room and the views it has to offer are out of this world and an amazing place to spend your wedding night. We had lunch on the terrace and dinner at night in the small sitting room and have to say that although we eat out regularly i have never tasted food as good as this hotel has to offer.
With my experience of the hotel i find it hard to believe some of the reports that people have written, a hotel with the character, charm and setting that this place has to offer would not be right with modern furniture and plasma televisions

loved the view

by TripAdvisor Member charlie_dog

stayed at this hotel with my sister on the eve of her wedding here..Lovely views from hotel. It is situated about 2 miles from Ambleside on the lake windermere. It is a very old fashioned hotel with wooden panels in the main hall. This becomes the place where you get married and they deck it out very well. My room was a corner room which overlooked the lake. It was a large room with a king bed. The bathroom was a bit old and worn i thought but i would not let this put you off. Personally I think it is overpriced and in need of some Tender loving care. They rely on the weddings to bring in the hotel guests. The hotel room had a lovely view of the lake and was clean. However, the furniture was dated and the tv looked out of the arc.

On the morning of the wedding we all went for breakfast which was all freshly made. It was adequate quality but not what i would expect for a hotel of this price and class. During breakfast the waitress thought it was a good idea to quiz my sister about how many breakfasts were paid for with the rooms. She had paid the hotel an extra £35 for me to stay in her room. I thought this was VERY BAD as it was the morning of her wedding and she did not need this comment. Surely with all the money she had spent on her wedding (probably around £5000 for the hotel) they would not feel the need to quibble about a breakfast worth £16 that was actually paid for and the waitress had got it wrong. This hotel is trying to make money in any way it can. I thought this was a real shame given the class they are trying to portray.

It was difficult to get a taxi into ambleside as local firms only have small number of taxis. We had to wait for one hour.

The wedding was lovely and the room my sister had was very nice. The staff were very helpful. My sister made her grand entrance down the main stairs into the main hall. It comfortably fitted 25 guests in. However, I would say larger wedding parties would feel crammed.

On the night of the wedding I stayed at the Low Wood across the road as the Langdale was full when i tried to book a room for my family. I thought that this was much better than the langdale for quality rooms.

My last thoughts are I would not stay at the Langdale for £170 a night as apart from the views and the oldly worldy rooms in the hotel it needs a good refurb and staff that do not hassle the bride over a £16 breakfast on her wedding day. Maybe this is something that should of been questioned on check out AFTER the wedding.

Certainly not a 5 star hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Pinktwink

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for my cousins wedding in June this year.
We had travelled up to the Lake district a few days before and stayed in a 4 star B&B for 3 nights before going to the hotel for the two nights of the wedding.
We had been really looking forward to staying in this "luxurious hotel" and on arrival it certainly looked breathtaking.
It is in a fantastic location right on the banks of the lake with breathtaking views and although we had the typical wet Lake District weather this did nothing to dampen the obvious beauty of the place.
We were allocated room number 51 which was just off the dining room next to the doors to the kitchens, this did fill us with some dread as we were concerned about the noise that would be generated once breakfast preparations begin early in the morning however this caused us no problems.
The room was very spacious with fantastic picture windows all along the front but beware, as with the curtains open all the diners in the dining room to that side have a clear view into the room as it is at right angles to the room, so care must be taken in the morning when throwing back the curtains not to shock those trying to eat their sausage and eggs!
The room was very cold but this was due to the rather unseasonable weather and a portable heater had been provided to supply some warmth, this heater had no test sticker for its electrical compliance like other electrical appliances and I feel sure it should have been condemned as it looked like it had been salvaged from a rubbish dump!
The bathroom was enormous but the toiletries supplied were soap dispensers attached to the wall like in a travel lodge, the basin was cracked and there was a chunk missing from the toilet seat.
The roller blind on one of the windows was broken in its fully unravelled condition and when I looked at the window and sill behind this it cant have been cleaned for many months as it was filthy!
There was what looked like excrement smeared down the outside of the toilet cistern and cobwebs in the room..... not a 5 star bathroom!
Take care when having a shower as there is no ventilation and a lot of condensation forms, this gradually settles on the tiled floors and turns them into an ice skating rink!
There were two arm chairs in the room in which to sit and enjoy the views, one of these was in desperate need of a clean due to heavy staining on the arm rests so we refused to use it for its purpose.
We spent the evening of our arrival enjoying drinks in the bar and garden room which was very pleasant and the bar and restaurant staff were very efficient and helpful even plating up some of the buffet food for guests who had not been able to make it in time for the evening dinner.
We retired exhausted to bed looking forward to a good nights sleep prior to the ceremony the next day.... this is where the final horror was revealed......
The beds were 2 singles which had been pushed together, I guess that’s nothing unusual as often beds are doubled up in this way. However when one attempted to sleep on one side of the bed it was impossible not to feel as though you were going to roll out of bed onto the floor, the "centre" of the bed seemed higher than the edge and we decided that the mattresses had been normally place together the other way round and that they had " sagged" at what had now become the edge of the bed.
At 12.30 am we were removing the bed linen to turn the mattress hoping this would provide a good nights rest, when on lifting the mattress the real reason for the "sloping" situation was revealed......
Under the mattress had been placed a cupboard door with moulding almost 1 inch high down 1 edge, this under the mattress was what was causing the sloping effect!!!!!
As it was impossible to sleep like this we removed the offending door and checked the other single bed to find also a board had been placed under this one too, the reason for these modifications was that the mattress and base of both beds were completely worn out and once the door was removed the mattress sagged into a hole in the base, my partner endured a terrible nights sleep and I had little better!
The following morning my partner spoke with the manager who stated there were no spare rooms and for him to "turn the mattress"!!!!!!! I found this unbelievable in what should be a 5 star hotel.... I would expect better mattresses and beds in a Youth hostel!
Eventually the manager came to see the offending beds herself and after a lengthy discussion where she tried to tell us they were twin beds zipped together ( I corrected her here) and that there were no other rooms she could move us to she reluctantly managed to sort a new room if we could get packed before the ceremony she would have our things moved to the new room whilst the wedding was taking place.
This extra pressure whilst having wasted time in discussion about the bed/ room situation made it a complete rush to pack whilst still attempting to get changed and ready for the wedding and left us with little time...... what should have been a relaxing start to a beautiful day left me exhausted and upset and spoiled the weekend for us.
The room had been provided at a cost of £250.00 for the 2 nights stay, this was a disgusting price to pay for the quality of the accommodation we had to endure.
One extra thing, whilst relaxing in the room on our arrival the door burst open without even a knock and 2 maids walked in, they did apologise but clearly they have not been trained to knock, wait and enter as you would expect in even the cheapest of hotels!

By the way the Bride looked stunning!!!!!!

Lake Windermere

by Jannice48

"Lake Windermere"

When my Son Steven and his fiancee Vicci decided to get married in the Lake District in August 2006 instead of New Zealand we were all over the moon that we could share this wonderful occasion with them. They chose the beautiful location of Windermere for their special day. The last time I was in the Lake District has got to be over twenty years ago but everything was just as I remembered it. Ambleside is an ideal place to stay when visiting the Lakes, it has plenty of restaurants, cafes and pubs and also has a small shopping centre. Ambleside does get very busy during the weekends and summertime. Steven and Vicci chose the Lake District as it was where they had their first holiday together and they fell in love with the area and have been regular visitors there ever since. We all stayed at the Langdale Chase Hotel and this picture was taken from outside the room where we stayed for two nights

"The Happy Couple"

This is Steven and Vicci as Husband and Wife taken on the jetty looking out at Lake Windermere outside Langdale Chase Hotel. As you can see the sun was shining if a bit cloudy but we were lucky as the Lake District is renowned for raining incessantly and we only had one shower in the late afternoon.

"Lake Windermere"

After a lovely memorable day we all sat on the terrace sipping champagne watching the sun go down

The entrance to Langdale Chase HotelThe entrance to Langdale Chase Hotel

Looking up from the Lake towards Langdale ChaseLooking up from the Lake towards Langdale Chase

Comments