Bowness-on-Windermere Hotels

Our Members Say

• lahoobies profile photo lahoobies
  • Reviews: 1

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

North Lodge: Not as Described!

I think Wordsworth wrote the blurb for the owner's of this cottages website!
This self catering cottage is 4 star rated - but heavens knows how!
The sofas were filthy and worn out, we wouldn't sit on them. The owners came round and bought throws to go on them, and only then would we park ourselves down. Surprisingly the owner said I was the only one to complain!
The place hadn't been painted in years. Everything a bit 'old and tired' which isn't how it is described on the website.
The garden is treacherous to get into and what is described as a 'wildflower garden' is really an untended jungle. The rotary drier was caked in green mouldy dirt, so unusable.
We were there for a 2 week stay and I honestly wanted to go straight back home, but we knuckled down and got on with it.
Attention to detail was non existent with regards to cleanliness unfortunately. The shower hose was black with mould, the grouting dirty, the walls grimy, I could go on....
It was however, convenient for Bowness which you could walk to and was a bonus. There was also plenty of space. It was continually gloomy inside as it is surrounded by trees and in perpetual shade. We were provided with one bin liner too, how tight! It would be ok, if only it wasn't sold as a high quality luxury cottage, which it isn't.

• Related to: Water Sports, Hiking and Walking, Family Travel
  • Written September 2, 2011

• Andreaflem profile photo Andreaflem
  • Reviews: 28

North Lodge, Longtail Wood, Bowness on Windermere: Nice Cottage

North Lodge was a very pretty cottage with all amenities only a few minutes drive from Centre and lake, or a nice walk. I visited unfortunately when we had a lot of rain so the only problem I found was running from the car to the cottage without getting soaked. The car parking space for the lodge is a couple of minutes up the road at the back of the garden. If your staying at North Cottage next door your parking space is right outside your door. A really nice base to explore the Lakes from.

Nice Character, Bedrooms are split with one up stairs to living area and 2 doubles downstairs from living area so plenty of space and privacy.

• Related to: Travel with Pets, Hiking and Walking, Adventure Travel
  • Written March 26, 2008

• henry14 profile photo henry14
  • Reviews: 50

the Hydro Hotel: Room with a view

Large, roomy hotel. We were given a suite with a spectacular view over the cottage rooftops to the lake. Located in the town centre, a few minutes walk to the lake. The hotel is located a short walk up a fairly steep walk so might not be suitable for all, although it has a car park if driving. We didnt make it down to breakfast, but the dining room looked well presented and clean. Comfortable bar, with squashy sofas to encourage you to stay put for a couple of hours! We hope to stay again.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Family Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written July 5, 2007
Tip Photo

Imagine waking up to this view every morning?

• Kristymamoo profile photo Kristymamoo
  • Reviews: 32

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Royal Oak Inn: Our favourite....

This is by far our favourite place to stay when we visit the Lakes. We have stayed a few times and have never been disappointed.

We are always met with a warm welcome and the service is excellent. The rooms are fairly basic (as is the price!!) but always clean and comfortable. The location of the hotel is ideal for exploring Bowness and within easy access of all pubs/restaurants and there is also parking space for residents - not easy to come by in Bowness.

We were first attracted to the hotel when we stopped off there one weekend for breakfast. The cooked breakfast is amazing!!!! So tasty and plenty of it. The food on offer throughout the day is also well worth sampling.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, National/State Park, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written June 12, 2007
Tip Photo

• toontraveller profile photo toontraveller
  • Reviews: 79

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Crag Brow Holiday Let: Home Comforts

When possible I try to stay for at least a week in the Lakes. Even though it's only a two hour drive for me I feel relaxed the longer I stay here so there isn't much point in rushing home. You do miss your home comforts when you're away though but Quarry Rigg is a lovely 3 bedroom appartment with all mod cons and enough room for friends to visit.

Another reason I love to stay here is because I have two cats at home. What's that got to do with this you might say? Well this little guy has been my friend for about 4 years now. I can't remember his real name, he used to wear a tag but I call him Jasper and he seems happy enough with that. Everytime I visit he's hanging around and he always calls to me the minute I arrive. I seem to spend hours talking to him, he even follows me up to the flat and the liberties dont stop there.

I awoke one sunny morning to find him looking very comfortable on the bonnet of my Jag! Oh well, If I can have my home comforts I guess he can have his too *(:->

• Opinion of Price: least expensive