Swallow Hilltop

Costs 33% less but rated 17% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Swallow Hilltop

Needing some attention

by TripAdvisor Member Derek_Jones

I understand this hotel may have been one of the Swallow hotels bought under a management buyout, and wish the buyers well, but unless a lot of money is spent on the fabric of the hotel, people will simply choose to stay elsewhere. The carpets are shabby and taped in places for safety to guests, the wallpaper has been stripped in places eg under radiator in room without being replaced; there was black mould on the ceiling in the bathroom and on the chrome accessories in the bath. The room was very small but warm and comfortable and the food was fine. The only major irritation was the lack of hot water in the morning when the hotel was busy. Staff were in the main very pleasant and efficient .

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JJB01

Me and my partner found this hotel on late rooms, i had just had a baby and he got called away to work up in Carlisle, having a new baby I wanted to go with him so we found the Hilltop at last minute to stay there for 3 nights. We found the hotel to be excellent, granted the decor was slightly tired, rooms quite small but i spent 4 days there while my partner was working and was made more than comfortable. The staff were some of the most friendly and attentive i have ever had the pleasure of meeting, very chatty and helpful. The food was of good quality too. We later went away to Centre Parcs in the lakes but had to stay somewhere the night before to split the journey, we did not hesitate to book here again and this was some 2 and a half months later and the staff remembered us and made us very welcome, there was a fire drill at 5am in the morning due to another guest leaving their bathroom door open causing the steam to set the alarm off, the evacuation wasn't greatly organised and would have annoyed me but the staff were so apologetic I didn't mind so much. Apart from the decor needing some updating (which they appeared to be starting on our second trip) this hotel is more that adequate and if you are looking for a stay with personable staff and comfy surroundings at a very resonable price this hotel is the one for you.

bargain break

by TripAdvisor Member xrshadow

The hotel is being refurbed .It is shabby in places but balance that with helpful friendly staff.Food is ok. Hot buffet breakfast and service ok. Gym ok and pool area just painted.Keep your eye open for the Swallow hotel bargain breaks......recent offer £68 per room ,dinner bed and breakfast

Fab - had a great

by TripAdvisor Member MinnieMoocher

My friend and I met as it was half way for both of us. B&B £55 - twin room and we enjoyed it. Good value for money, room was a little small but what do you expect for what we paid!? Warm, clean and staff very helpful.
We went into town for dinner but there's not too many good places to eat locally - we should have done some research before we went. It was a Saturday night and town was busy and many police were around..... My husband and I have stayed here before and the evening meal in the hotel was good, excellent service and valie for money. Unfortunately, the restaraunt was fully booked when we were there. If we do stay again I think i would prefer to stay in hotel. We did have a drink in the hotel bar to end our evening but prices were crazy - 2 liquors £8 (one single and one double). We just had one drink.
The breakfast was buffet and good. After check out we used the leisure facilities; gym was small but well equiped and the pool / spa pool were lovely temps. My friend used the steam room / sauna and she liked.
The hotel was clean, staff friendly, room very good but it is dated. It depends what you are looking for. We stayed one night, meal and a catch up. I would go back again.

Avoid

by TripAdvisor Member elsie86

I advise anyone to avoid staying at this hotel. When we arrived the receptionist, who was also the manager was very rude, he had no manners, he was miserable and he did not make you feel at all welcome. The hotel is very old fashioned which is often acceptable but not when it looks as though it has not had a revamp for over 10 years. Our room was a big disappointment, wallpaper was ripped and hanging off the walls in areas, the decor was extremeley old fashioned and looked cheap and tacky, the walls were dirty, the mirrors were dirty and there was a distinct smell of (sorry to offend) a nursing home. Carlisle is a beautiful place but this spoilt it for us as we did not want to return there after a day out. We put up with it because we were only there one night and we know we could have just had a bad experience but it is not acceptable when you are paying almost £100.

Comments