BROADGATE, AMBLESIDE,GRASMERE, Grasmere, Grasmere,

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Rothay Garden

Missed teh mark

by TripAdvisor Member RHUBARBS

Room good and a comfortable bed but watch the step if you want to go to the bathroom in the night.
Bathroom carpet very very heavily stained - yuck.
Dinner pricey at £33 and the menu didnot inspire us to try it. Too many 'jus' and not enough plain language. Do people still eat farmed Sea bass - its a million miles from the real thing that earned the product its reputation!
The Traditional Cumberland Breakfast was a disappointment - one rasher , one thin sausage, one small egg, one tomato, one piece of fried bread (horrid taste) - my Cumbrian hotellier ancestors would have been shocked at such a meager plateful.

Great location & well wortha visit.

by TripAdvisor Member Newsy7

My wife and I have just spent 2 days B&B in the Rothay. Our room had a view of stream from side window and Hotel gardens from front window. The room & hotel was very clean and the staff were generally attentive. There were a wide selection of meals available at breakfast on top of the usual continental options. The only criticisms of the hotel would be thin walls - we could hear next door talking & snoring and the decor needs updating - it was quite tired in our room. Other than these small points we had a really relaxing and enjoyable stay and would return again with earplugs.

Delightful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member granny07

We stayed at the Rothay Garden for 4 nights last week and had a great time celebrating our wedding anniversary. The food was superb with a wide choice all beautifully presented, and the staff were friendly and efficient. There was an excellent choice of wine with some very reasonably priced 'specials' which were extremely good. We had one of the 'Grasmere' rooms which was very spacious overlooking a river at the back of the hotel It also had a very large bathroom with double airbath and separate shower, all of which were spotlessly clean, the only thing we would have liked was to have had larger towels, though maybe these will come when the hotel is refurbished early next year? Will definitely visit again.

Elegant hotel-wonderful break

by TripAdvisor Member brucehen

We recently stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in a Grasmere room, overlooking the well tended gardens,there was a four poster bed and large spa bath, and the room was elegant and clean.

We will almost certainly stay there again, the food was superb and the service excellent. The staff were friendly and welcoming and the overall ambience of the hotel was perfect, it helped to make a well earned break perfect.

We were a little hesitant at booking it at first because of a few adverse comments about the hotel being "tired"-this is a very old beautiful building and the upkeep must be very costly, however due to the age of the building, I would not expect modern fitments etc. We found the odd creak and imperfection just added to the overall charm of the hotel. I understand however that it will be refurbished in the new year-but there was certainly nothing wrong with the hotel as it is.

Lovely setting

by TripAdvisor Member goofynewfy

On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly Hotel manager named Elliot. When we got to our rooms one of them just had a bath without a shower which was disapointing. As with most UK country hotels the rooms were rather small but did have hair dryers and coffee in the rooms. Our second night we returned from dinner for an drink in the lounge, it was a very warm evening and the fireplace was lit, we asked to have it turned off but were told by the night manager that it was not possible as it added ambience to the room. We were the only 4 guests in the lounge at the time and found it very rude of the manager not to respond to our request. At check out the next day the same manager was on the desk, his attitude was not suited for working in a Hospitality Industry.

Second stay not good!

by TripAdvisor Member bandrshep

Having stayed at Rothay Garden previously and enjoyed the food very much, we looked forward to our second stay. However, on the same night as dining in the hotel, I developed a very unpleasant bout of sickness and diahorrea that I could only attribute to the food consumed earlier in the hotel (scallops with finnie haddie sausage). The next morning I explained that I had been unwell to a member of staff and as a result would be checking out early. The member of staff was more concerned about the possibility that our room would be sold that night!

At check out the manager did not even as much as ask how I was even though I had explained how I had been ill overnight to him. Not the best example of service I would expect from a small independent hotel!

The absence of a shower in the room is indicative of the dated style of this hotel. The other comments already posted relating to decor at the hotel are valid.

My advice is to be selective on both room and menu choice if you want to have an enjoyable stay!

very disappointing stay

by TripAdvisor Member CheshireMisty1

We booked a Langdale Room with Four Poster, when we arrived and were shown to our room we found a dirty carpet, pre war bathroom which did not smell very pleasant, the bed cover has been peach once and was now so faded it no longer matched the curtains and a sofa which was falling to bits, We complained and were moved to a room which had been renovated but our stay was 4 nights and we could only have the room for 3. Dinner was ok nothing special we felt the menu was fussy as another review states lots of jus and no plain english. Breakfast is a meagre offering and as my husband only had bacon and sausage i thought he may get extra bacon no 1 slice and 1 sausage (very poor) i am diabetic and booked ahead for extra carbohydrates which i did not get. We were not enjoying our stay at all and when we got back the next evening to no electricity as the builders, building the managers new house in the grounds had gone through a cable it was the last straw we checked out. The managers attitude was was like it or lump it. They are renovating the hotel i believe it needs it dated peeling wallpaper everywhere, but i feel the manager needs to renovate his attitude towards the guests if he wants anyone to return.

Big changes for 2008

by TripAdvisor Member Visitor-UK

This hotel is indeed closing from Jan - May 2008 for a major extension, rebuild of public areas and upgrading of many of the bedrooms.

So we took advantage of a 'closing down' sale and stayed for 4 days in the Loft suite, soon to be joined by many others of similar quality, and had a great time.

Not our first visit & at times in the past we have agreed with reviewers who found some rooms 'tired'. Not the loft suite -located on the top floor with great views of the surrounding area. King size bed, plasma TV, sitting area with water, chocolates, magazines, binoculors, large bathroom, with TV, shower, 'his&hers' basin, quality toiletries.

Good choice of breakfasts from Cumbrian, smoked salmon with scrambled egg, lovely porridge, continental, staff helpful, if you want to change the menu just ask!

Great evening meals - the best we have ever had.

Too much 'Jus?' I think not - how about liver on mash served with side of haggis & black pudding!

Located just outside the village with plenty of off road parking.

Local walks leaflets now available at reception.

Cannot wait to return to the 'new' Rothay Garden

Duck and dive

by TripAdvisor Member MinicoopersLiverpool

We stayed for just one night as part of a tour in the Lakes. The hotel had warned us that the building work had not quite finished so we expected the rubble and portacabins at the front.
Our room was via a steep set of stairs and in an attic style. On arriving, most of the bathroom lights were not working and we had to wait sometime for reception to try and find the correct bulbs, in the end we just remained in semi darkness.
The room was very attactive and modern but tiny. We are not tall people but we had to duck every time we used the bathroom (which did not have a shower). There was nowhere for toiletries and the sink area had not been finished. The slope of the bedroom ceiling meant there was little room for anything and it was a tight squeeze.
We hd a drink in the bar (very pricey). We had to go to the bar (someone from reception had to serve us).The drinks were not poured or a coaster for the table. Nibbles, well what are they.
I know it sounds petty but for £3.75 for a small bottle of Bud, you expect a bit more.
The hotel has great potential (breakfast was fantastic) but the finishing touch is just not there at the moment.
If you do stay, don' accept room 7 unless you are a midget!

SOULESS

by TripAdvisor Member TinaELiverpool

The Rothay Garden is undergoing its 2 million update and facelift and the staff are very polite, helpful and clearly proud to work here. It all looked very promising - natural slate, calm and relaxing decoration, beautuiful gardens...

Sadly we were unable to book in the Oak Bank Hotel - they were full and so we were recommended to look at the Rothay Garden - amongst others.. but we chose here..

We arrived and checked in - delighted with a wonderfully spacious ground floor room looking out to the gardens. I had already been warned that the dining room did not permit young children to dine of an evening however they offered a baby listening service - no use to us as my 3 year old shares everything we do - especially enjoying eating with us adults and engaging conversation at the dinner table with us... but this gave us the opportunity to eat out at some fab places:

The Oak Bank Hotel - were delighted to see us again and we had yet another fabulous supper there, with excellent friendly first class service.

The Villa Columbina - were exceptionally helpful to accomodate us providing a wonderful meal AND even gave us a lift home to our hotel with my little one having fallen asleep.

Finally, The Jumble Room was our last night in Grasmere and what fantastic meal and experience it was too - oozing ambience and delicious food.

We noticed that the Rothay Garden's restaurant was empty every night until at least 8 30 onwards. May we suggest that they start offering people wiith well behaved children the option to eat early say til 8 ish...it would be a good compromise?

We saw many people bringing their dogs in the hotel and up to their rooms. Lucky dogs!

We hardly slept at the Rothay G' due to the most uncomfortable mattress. Despite informing them of this on our first morning, and seeing that new ones were being installed elsewhere, we returned to our room disappointed to find that nothing had been done to change the mattress. In fact we didnt get one good night's sleep in the 3 nights we stayed there.

There was a dreadful tomcat, fishy smell in the room - particularly in the shower area of the bathroom when it was wet from showering. The smell permeated to the bedroom and pillows . Just couldnt track it down or pin point it. The shower needed a good clean in the seals and crevices despite a very high standard of cleanliness otherwise.

Breakfast was very disappointing - served up with either 'little' flavour or 'over' flavour. First morning, I ordered the haddock and 'lightly' curried risotto - o boy ! it was pungently strong even for me. Had the chef dropped a pot of curry powder into it I wondered? The Grill arrived with just one piece of bacon - pretty tasteless. My daughter had scrambled egg - this was tasteless and chewy. I'd expected a luxurious creaminess to it, light and fluffy. Shame. The yoghurts were all 'very low fat' - we wanted rich thick and creamy full fat - we are on holiday for goodness sake ! Not even an option. The orange juice dispenser kept running out, and when it was replaced, they ran out of glasses, when they were restacked the machine had a blocked valve and needed sorting... we did laugh, but it really was very disappointing all round.

I wouldnt stay here unless I was the sort of person wanting to watch tv from my bath ( not in a million years), stay in the lakes but not really wishing to experience anything outdoors (save for sitting in the lovely garden drinking coffee cocktails or smoke a cigar...plenty did). I think its a shame that they are spending so much money on refurbishment but really missing the key ingredients to a welcoming place .. you cant buy soul spirit and ambience, the luxury is wasted. The lounge (s) were relaxing but dead - needs a bit of personality injecting - may be some relaxing music to mute people's overbearing conversations - especially needed at breakfast. Cant comment on evening meals as none taken here.

I reckon they should've invested in their own swim pool or sauna - something nice to do on or after the wet days. Its a long haul to the Langdales to use their club pool...and would I be bothered? - frankly no. I'd rather have a nice warm bath !

I hope this review isn't taken negatively by the manager - I want to help them make a difference to what their customers need.

If you're going or already booked - it'll be fine, don't let my disappointment put you off. It just didnt fit withour needs.

Comments