Castle Green Lane, Kendal, LA9 6BH, United Kingdom

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Best Western Castle Green Hotel Kendal

Lovely time at the Castle Green Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Hazelisnuts

My husband booked this hotel for my 30th birthday.

We found the hotel staff to be very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. My husband had requested a room with a view and we got a superb view and small balcony to sit out on, which was lovely.

The food in the main hotel resturant was excellant and we had a very enjoyable meal.

The next night we ate in the 'pub in the garden', where the menu was different but still very good quality. Although the staff in the bar could have been more 'on the ball'.

We used the swimming pool and gym which were good for a hotel.

I had beauty treatments booked for the morning and the hotel let us book out later than 11 am due to this, which was a great help.

I will make a point of staying here again, if I am up that way on business especially as it was only 5 minutes from the motorway.

Best hotel we have stayed at

by TripAdvisor Member cmac1107

Just returned from a weekend at the Castle Green Hotel, and I can say this is the best hotel I have ever stayed at. The staff were very polite, and nothing was too much trouble. We ate in both the pub and the restaurant and the food was lovely.

Christmas wedding

by TripAdvisor Member SarahHutchinson

We stayed at the Castle Green Hotel for my best friend's wedding on the 23rd of December.

We throughly enjoyed our stay and really enjoyed the experience of a wedding at the hotel. The manager of the hotel made sure the service went smoothly and offered words of advice encouragment to those involved. He was really kind!

The food was delicious, both during the wedding and the breakfast. There was lots of choice and the staff were really helpful, even when we were still eating and chatting after the time alloted for breakfast. The reception staff were also really friendly.

We were really pleased with our room, it was spacious and had a clean and tidy bathroom. It really added the enjoyment of the wedding weekend.

Overall, we had a great stay and we would definitely recommend the hotel for a wedding or an overnight stay.

fantastic all round

by TripAdvisor Member cdh345354

me and my wife stayed at the castle green hotel in kendal, cumbria for one night and it was fantastic.best hotel we have ever stayed in.our room was an executive room with wonderful views of kendal and the hills around.in the room, was a fruit bowl and plenty of refreshments.some hotels only leave the basics in regards to tea and coffee, not the catle green hotel, all kinds of tea's, coffee's and hot chocolates.wonderful.we had breakfast in the very nice restaurant which we could see from our room.the breakfast chef was fantastic.excellent customer service, she even brought some of our breakfast to us.we only had breakfast but the food was fantastic.we felt like royalty.i have no idea why this hotel is not a 4 star.it is currently a 3 star.all the staff were so helpful with everything.wonderful stay, highly recommended.

Excellant

by TripAdvisor Member thorpey

I stayed at the hotel this weekend.
I could not fault the hotel,the staff were really friendly and the hotel room was roomy and clean and we had a room looking over the lovely gardens.
We decided to have an evening meal at the hotel which believe me was fantastic....it has to be the nicest meal i've ever had and i've been to hundreds of restaurants in my time.
The breakfast was excellant as well...certainly the same quality as the evening meal and there was plenty too choose from.
The hotel is in a great location and was easy to find and is only a short distance from Windermere and Bowness.
I would highly recommend it.
David Thorpe.

Beautiful setting for a below average hotel

by TripAdvisor Member amp94596

We arrived at the Castle Green and were very impressed by its charming hillside location and beautiful stone exterior. We thought, "well the Trip Advisor has steered us in the right direction again!" Upon entering the hotel the decor was a suprise, in fact almost a shock. The lobby was decorated in a bland, chain hotel style as you would find in a low cost national chain where everything is the same and very bland. We then were given a room that was very small and had no bath tub. So we asked for another room and were given a spacious room. But, like the lobby, it had the look of a cheap, chain hotel and not a spa or business resort. In fact, it reminded me of a college dorm room. There was a tiny closet, a very plain desk and chair, curtains, and two lights on the night stands. All the bulbs where flourescent and gave off an odd pink glow that later turned blue. The ironing board and iron were bolted to the wall near the bed and couldn't be moved! There was a TV but the volume kept going up and down by itself! All in all it was very stark.

On the good side, the staff was very friendly and the hotel is quiet. The dinner we had was excellent. All six of us had something different and everything was great. We had breakfast two mornings as part of the plan and it was fine. The hotel was pretty busy and they kept up the pace with plenty of freshly cooked eggs, toast, bacon, etc. for everybody.

Staying at Castle Green was not cheap, especialy with our American dollars. I would find another place with a more charming interior and room to match the beautiful location of Cumbria.

Never again

by TripAdvisor Member jules693

We stayed on 4th November. The hotel was clean and the rooms were small but adequate but for £105 per night I would have expected more space. Particularly compared to other hotels we have stayed at in the Lake District. Our main complaint was dinner in Alexander's pub. So sorry we didn't eat in the main restaurant as the reviews are consistently good for that. Alexander's gave us the worst meal we have ever had anywhere. I struggled through my starter scraping off the bottom layer of my goat's cheese tart which tasted like strawberry jam. My main course I actually sent back, something I have never done before. It was supposed to be a vegetable curry but it was inedible. They offered another main course but nothing was appetising so I elected apple pie and custard, thinking such a staple could not taste bad. Wrong. The pastry was like cardboard and the custard was so sweet I couldn't eat it. They only charged me for the starter but that did not compensate for a ruined dinner. My husband managed to eat most of his as he was very hungry but said at best it was very average. Maybe the chef was off and the potwasher with a very sweet tooth was in charge of the kitchen. We also had problems with the noise outside our room. A party was going on and we were awoken at 3am by people passing our room talking. Just normal volume but there was no sound-proofing at all. Again in the morning we were awoken by guests talking as they passed our room. Thank goodness it was only one night. Never again.

A bit Disorganised

by TripAdvisor Member Langfield

Myself and my Husband have just returned from a 2 night stay at this Hotel. We arrived at 3.30pm and our room was not ready so had to wait, apologies were not very forthcoming.Our room, when we got in was very nice, although to hang clothes in the wardrobe needed a step ladder hang things up if you were under 5ft 4ins, still the husband came in handy.

We ate in the restaurant on boths nights, the food was very good although very expensive and the waiting and bar staff were totally disorganised. On the Sunday night no bread was forthcoming and on asking for some was told they were too busy!!!

It was school holidays, which I forgot, and children were running riot down the corridors so not best pleased. We have stayed in Lakes on previous occasion and would not return to the Castle Green as we have had better food and rooms in other Hotels and cheaper.

Bring Your Earplugs

by TripAdvisor Member Nelle952

Myself and my partner have just come back from a long weekend in Kendal. Firstly the good points about the hotel.
The room was small but clean, however the bathroom was in need of some serious maintenance. Did not have a good view from the room but we were not too bothered as the views from around the hotel itself where wonderful.
Breakfast was tasty and there was a good selection, however we had to wait 20 mins on the sunday to get seated as there was a staff shortage. We had a meal in the pub Alexanders which is in the grounds of the hotel, it was reasonable priced (drinks where pricy though) but not the best meal we have ever had. Room service was good and at a good price too.
In general the staff where friendly and helpful, however the reception staff where very snobbish. If you a "posh" accent they will be all smiles however if you do not (like myself) they barely give you the time of day. Oh and they didnt order our newspapers which we had requested.
All these are quite minor niggles really but put that with the fact the rooms are the noisiest I have ever been in and we had a pretty rotten time. You can hear the light switches and taps in other rooms and we also had the joy of a flight of stairs right by our room, so you could hear people walking up and down them all night (and I mean all night).
There where 2 weddings on that weekend and we almost felt we were considered second rate compared to the wedding parties.
All in all we would never stay at another Best Western hotel

Very nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member yayight

Just stayed one night at the Castle Green at Kendall for a wedding.

I thought the hotel was very good as it has good food, friendly staff, nice grounds, good views and was well maintained.

Only bad thing was the showers which need updating as they were designed for midgets.

Comments