Bridge End Levens, Levens, Kendal, LA8 8EP, United Kingdom
Expedia.com Tingo.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

More about Kendal

The GardensThe Gardens

How can I buy a train ticket at Kendal Station?

by christine.j

I've started doing my homework, comparing prices for point-to-point tickets with the various BritRail passes.If I don't get a pass for my complete stay in the UK, I will have to buy a ticket in Kendal. But from the National Rail site it seems that this is an unmanned station, without a ticket machine.
Can I buy a ticket from the conductor in the train then? Or does the tourist information sell rail tickets?
I read about the Lake Day Ranger Ticket, which can be bought in the train. Is this also true for regular point-to-point tickets?

Thank you for any information.

by doodybee

if the station is unmanned your should be able to buy a regular price ticket from the conductor - be careful tho as if there is any chance of you gettinga ticket before you get on the train the ticket prices will go up

we boarded a train for Leeds from Barnsley a few weeks ago and were charged 16+GBP - the conductor said to buy them from the ticket office next time which we did and were charged 11+ GBP - adds up if you " let the train take the strain" regularly - doesn't it

Enjoy your stay in the UK
Julie

by christine.j

Julie, thank you for your quick answer. I will look for a ticket machine when I arrive in Kendal, but it says on the website there isn't any. So hopefully I won't have to pay extra and just get my ticket in the train then.

by doodybee

You can always buy your Kendla ticket from another ticket office if you are using the railway quite a lot - it doesn't have to be from Kendal - as far as i am aware anyway - ask at one of the manned stations you go through which are your best options - the staff should know whats what better than us

Julie

by christine.j

That's good to know, then I get it from Cambridge station, they should know, it's such a busy station.

by leics

Theoretically you can buy any ticket from any station. This may take some time to sort out though, so be careful which queue you choose !

If the Kendal station is unmanned and there is no ticket machine (as it seems to be from www.nationalrail.co.uk, although relevant page has not been updated since 2005!) then purchase on the train is acceptable and expected. the guard will be watching to see who gets on, and will make a foray down the train to find you!

I wouldn't actually bother buying the ticket beforehand, to be honest, for just that reason. If the guard doesn't come along, then you've gained a few pounds; if he/she does, then it's easy enough to pay on the train.

Christine,

Since you are in Germany: British round-trip open train tickets in Germany cost pretty reasonable.
Suggestion: get a RAIL+ in Germany (Bahncard, etc.) and buy your ticket in Germany. It's a bit more planing than with the Britrail - but the price difference is huge.

See here why is that:

I can calculate (or anyone, if they know how to use www.jizdenka.cz web site) the UK TCV fares. Best are the round-trip prices. These TCV tickets are not simple "point-to-point" but like railpasses: you have 60 railway-days in 60 days and no limitation how many times you change the trains.

by christine.j

Thank you both, J and Gyuri. I'll be travelling in early August, so I have plenty of time to do my homework and compare all the prices. I have a Bahncard 25 and will look into buying the tickets through rail+. So far I've used a combiniation of point-to-point tickets and BritRail passes.I hadn't thought of rail+ .

by GyuriFT

You are lucky than with the RAIL+.

Take a look where is the small town of Wick - it's up north in Scotland.

An London-Wick round-trip ticket valid for 2 month with unlimited stopovers should be in Germany 209.40 Euro without the RAIL+ and 157.05 Euro with the RAIL+

See here from www.jizdenka.cz:

Ooops, here is the map:

by christine.j

As far as I understand it, the rail+ gives me reductions on rail trips TO the UK and only then within the country. So it won't work for me, as I'm flying there.
The Czech site keeps telling me to go to Prague, even when I change the to/from line. Is there some way to drop Prague?

I'll be travelling by rail four days in the UK this summer, two of them in a row. The prices I've found so far are
15 Euro Stansted Airport - Cambridge, point-to-point, booked ahead.
78 Euro BritRail pass for two days, this will get me from Cambridge to London to Windermere.
If I can pay for the ticket Kendal - Heysham Port in the train, it shouldn't be more than £15, about 23 Euro.

I wouldn't call BritRail a tourist trap, you just have to compare the prices thouroughly. Since the Heathrow Express has been included , this alone can be a great deal, when I fly to Heathrow and on to Paddington Station.

by GyuriFT

No, LOL, "Praha" is just the selling point, not the starting point. Just ignore it. These international tickets within Western Europe are - by the way - same price in Praha or Germany

This is international ticket because you buy from outside of UK, so internationally published (TCV) fare is the valid. RAIL+ should give you discount from TCV. For instance, from your point of view a Zürich-Brig ticket is also "Interntional", if you buy in Germany not the Swiss domestic but Swiss international TCV price will apply (which is less than Swiss domestic) and you can use RAIL+.

Doing that not always makes sense. In Poland for long distance and complicated one-way journeys the TCV fare is not very bad, even has advantages if you use RAIL+. Austria (with RAIL+) is OK. Problems will begin in Italy and going to extreme in Czech, Slovak Republics, Hungary, etc. where the internationally published undiscounted TCV fare is much (2-3 times) higher than the domestic. Because of that they have a special local prices for international tickets, but you can get these prices only locally (i.e. you have to get there first).

For U.K. that is easy: everyone has UK TCV prices, you can buy these TCV tickets as in Jizdenka everywhere... except UK, of course.

by christine.j

I managed to type in Cambridge at the TCV site, but that's as far as I get. As soon as I move the cursor, it disappears again. I give up and will ask at the train station tomorrow.

by GyuriFT

Kendal is not in TCV tariff but the station "behind" of it (Windermere) is. The TCV price is the same even as far as Carlisle. In such cases just de-train at earlier station (Kendal) instead of Windermere or Carlisle.

Here is the TCV ticket (round-trip) to Carlisle:

Here is the TCV ticket (one-way) to Carlisle:

As you see, the round-trip discount is substantial.

For Windermere the price is the same, even as it's closer (the tariff is pretty degressive):

I just got verified, RAIL+ can be used on any TCV ticket, not just cross-border. If they say at DB: "no" - be persistent and ask for the manager.

To make your inquiry easier, print out the "virtual tickets" and take them with you.

Also study the railway map of UK and look, really what ticket you want:

by Maxus

Sorry to butt in here (and this may have already been mentioned) there is a small station at Kendal but the main station for Kendal is Oxenholme AKA the 'Oxenholme the Lake District'.

Oxenholme is on the West Coast mainline and it’s usually staffed.

Trains from Oxenholme to Kendal take 4 minutes, if there isn’t one waiting most people walk down the hill.

by GyuriFT

Oxenholme has the same TCV train price as Windermere or Carlisle from Cambridge. This is why I told to buy to a FURTHER train station because than the Oxenholme->Kendal is free and no need to buy any ticket at all. This is an old trick: if a station is not in the TCV tariff, look at the closest station before it and at the station behind. In our case, we are lucky: O.P. can not just go to Kendal for free, but even have a Kendal<->Carliste round-trip for free.

These are so-called TCV tickets bought on the continent, you can't buy such TCV tickets in UK.

by Maxus

I didn't read the entire thread just the initial question. People often make the mistake of looking online for trains to Kendal when Oxenholme makes more sense.

By the way Christine, I live in Morecambe (3 minutes drive from Heysham Port) if you don’t get a ticket in advance for the Kendal to Heysham Port trip email me at VT a day or two before you travel and if I’m not teaching that day I will pick you up in Kendal and give you a lift to Heysham Port.

The alternative may involve changing trains at Oxenholme and Lancaster, it’s about 45 minutes in the car and no bother for me.

by Britannia2

Is this link of any use? http://www.northernrail.org/offers/railrovers

by christine.j

I knew it was a good idea to start doing my homework in March, even if I won't be going until August!
Thank you all so much for you help.

Mark, I've booked a B&B in Kendal, that's why I asked about the train station there. If the weather is nice, I may just walk to Oxenholme station, if it's not far.Thank you for your offer, I really apreciate it.

Gyuri,thank you for sending me the link to the tickets. I didn't get the page to show me the prices. From what I've found out so far,the TCV ticket is more expensive than the combination of point-to-point tickets and BritRail pass,even when I take 25%off. I won't do a round trip, but zig-zag through England, arriving at Stansted Airport and leaving at Heysham Port.The difference is not much, 116 to 128 Euro.

Colin, thank you for the link. I looked at all the tickets, the Lake Day Ranger
Ticket may be very useful for travelling within the Lake District.

Comments