Beezon Road, Stramongate Bridge, Kendal, LA9 6EL, United Kingdom
Travelocity Booking.com Hotels.com

More about Riverside Hotel

What a great weekend

by TripAdvisor Member dylansgran

My Husband and I along with 61 friends have just spent a brilliant weekend in the Riverside Hotel. I cannot find anything bad to say about it. The rooms were great, food plentiful and well cooked and the staff were the friendliest I have ever met. Thank you all for making a good weekend truly memorable.

Nan & Howard Jenkins
Bromwic Lodge

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MazSolihull

The best bit of this hotel is the staff and the food and restaurant.
had a great deal where food was included and choice , presentation , quality and service were excellent. The rooms were adequate could do with an upgrade but okay for a couple of days. would recommend for the food alone. Good base to sightsee the Lakes.

could not fault at all

by TripAdvisor Member lancashirelottie_lou

I was pleasently surprised by this hotel after reading poor reports on it.

I ususlly stay in 4 or 5* hotels and thought i would risk this one - after reading the reviews (after i had booked) i almost didnt go even though i had paid and nearly stayed somewhere else...

i got there the staff were nice the room was ready on arrival (before check in time) it was clean the views of the river were nice and i really rated breakfast.

Nothing wrong with this hotel at all - enjoy your stay and dont let the other reviews put you off.

Filthy

by TripAdvisor Member Pixiepops

We booked this hotel for the bank holiday weekend as a nice break for the two of us. When we arrived we were given the key to our room, then we found it hadn't been cleaned from the previous people (this was 3.20pm!). On the floor in our room was a toenail clipping (not ours) and some small bits of paper - these remained for the rest of our 3 day stay i.e. our room was never hoovered. The room was made up for us when we came back at 5pm. The bathroom was not cleaned very well at all. When we left the hotel my boyfriend found a MacDonalds bag with 4 apple pies in it in one of the drawers- it had been there the whole time! Gross. Under the bed we found someones hairbrush - sorry if you wanted it back we binned it. There was a thick layer of dust behind the bedside cabinets and the general cleanliness standards were poor at best. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, we felt totally ripped off and the staff were all a bit dopey! They checked us out when we asked for 2 towels so we could go swimming. Don't bother. Kendal is lovely as is Lake Windermere and Coniston water - highly recommended!

Not as bad as the reviews say - pleasant

by TripAdvisor Member HFoz

This hotel was pleasant enough. It did not reach dizzy heights of extravagance and probably doesn't warrant it's full price room rate - but then what hotel does? The receptionist was friendly and didn't quibble when we asked for a different room because ours smelt of cigarette smoke, someone had definately been smoking in there. The bed was not that comfortable, but overall it was an ok stay. It is really good access to the lakes but Kendal itself doesn't offer much in the way of nice places to eat etc. We didn't try the hotel food so I can not pass judgement on that. It was nice to have a swimming pool, sauna and jaccuzzi but I have to say that the hotel's website does make the pool look a lot nicer than it is, again, it was just ok. For somewhere to stay if obtained at discounted rate I would not be too hesitant in recommending, but if you are looking for something special then you won't get it here.

Go esle where

by TripAdvisor Member ianstu

Looked at the photo's and it looked nice so we decieded to book.

On arririval we checked in at 1600 hrs and went to our room. Shock horror !!! it hadnt been cleaned since the last guests. So we went down stairs to complain and there were other guests with the same problem.

Trying to get a drink from the bar was almost impossible due no staff around, and the drinks where very expensive for a poor quality hotel.

We only ate once thank god, We bought a meal from the bar because the menu in the restaurant was very small and not to our taste. I ordered a burger and fries and it was awful ive tasted better from a burger van at a rock concert.

This hotel has the foundations to be very nice. Great location and has a fantastic pool and gym. The hotel needs to be run better.

There are lots of nicer hotels in Kendal. Big mistake if you stay here.

Customer Service from the 17th Century

by TripAdvisor Member alibaly

We stayed here in August 2007 at a last minute booking because everything else in Kendal seemed to be sold out. We didn't really have any problem with the room although it was definitely overpriced for something so incredibly basic. The view over the river from our room was nice. Apparently the foundation for the building was laid down in the seventeenth century. We felt like the customer service was from that era as well. We had the worst customer experience ever in the hotel's restaurant on the Sunday evening.
There was no-one in the restaurant when we arrived for our evening meal at 6pm. After sitting waiting at our table for 25 minutes to be served, we approached the bar to be told "You need to order drinks at the bar". The bar person turned out to be the manageress ("Helen" was on her name tag). After what seemed like an eternity, she finally brought our drinks over. I asked if we could order food, and she told us we had to do it at the bar ?! Trying to remain patient, I went and stood at the bar and she came over and took our order. There were absolutely NO OTHER CUSTOMERS in the restaurant/bar up to now,only the three of us, so I'm not sure what game she was playing at. Anyway, the food came after a 45 long minutes. My husband had ordered a vegetarian meal and this one had chicken in it. He had specifically asked Helen when ordering if this item was vegetarian and she had said yes!! Anyway, she said nothing, curtly picked up his meal and returned 2 minutes later with the same meal but with the chicken removed. He told her he didn't want to eat something that had been prepared with chicken and asked her to take it away. She asked if he wanted something else instead and we both told her that we had lost trust in the kitchen and so we will just take the bill instead, thank you. She got really personal and told both of us and our 9 year old daughter that if we didn't like it there were "Plenty of other places to eat and sleep in Kendal". Amazing!!! No wonder there were no other customers in there! After informing reception of our horrible experience, and requesting the contact details of the owners to give feedback, we ended up eating at the Indian restaurant around the corner which had terrific food and the service was attentive and friendly. When we checked out of the hotel we discovered our credit card hadn't been charged for the wine or food. At least they go that bit right. If you must stay at this hotel like we did, avoid the restaurant.

good customer service

by TripAdvisor Member raechelmanchester

The riverside hotel is one of the best hotels we have stayed in, the customer service is fantastic they all go that one step further to make you feel comfortable and welcome which was very nice as I was travelling alone. I will be returning in the not so distant future.

Where is my breakfast!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member SpeedysDad

This hotel is quire pleasent and overlooks the River Kent. The rooms were clean and well stocked with tea, coffee, soap, shampoo and the usual bits and pieces. The room even had a ironing board. The TV chanels were all over the place and not where the TV card in the room said they should be. Some were missing completely.
I was in a ground floor room and the river was flowing quite high and fast after constant rain. The river was only about 15-20 feeyt below and runs right against the back of the hotel. If my stay was during daylight I think it may have been quite impressive.
The only downside to my stay is that the one person serving breakfast at hotel, for whatever reason, did not turn up to do his job. He was actually staying in one of the rooms on the floor above and overslept. The chef was cooking breakfast in the kitchen and never even alerted reception that the food he was cooking was not being moved to the dining room. We did begin to get some sort of service at 715am but still no sign of the cooked food.

Hotel owner need to be aware that this problems stick in the minds of the guests. With so many hotels on offer, the service and minor details must be spot on. Will I stay again? Perhaps.

Not terrible

by TripAdvisor Member AStuart

The rooms are tired and dated but were resonably clean and not as bad as soome reviews have suggested. The TV was a nightmare and a total lucky dip as what channels are where and if they worked. The rest of the hotel is the same except the leisure facilities.

The evening meals are terrible, pre prepaid bad food - dont pay the supplement for the steak and do yourself a favour and eat out - the indian round the corner is espicially good and very cheap. We arrived for our evening meal and 20 minutes later we had to go to reception for them to get someone to seat us - total shocking. However the next day the same girl served us was really nice and the breakfast was good and plenty choice.

The leisure facilities are excellent and include a very good gym, pool, spa pool, steam room and sauna - not bad at all for what is a tired hotel.

Im summary i got there and after the first night we nearly left, but at the end we had a really good time and our opinion had changed somewhat. Would i go back? No - make your own mind up if you want to go.

The GardensThe Gardens