Bassenthwaite Lake, Keswick, CA12 4RE, United Kingdom
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

More about Armathwaite Hall

armathwaite hall hotel--a place to avoid

It looks and sounds very impressive. But once you arrive, you get a very different picture: dirty, dusty room; previous occupant's dirty dressing gowns still hanging in the bathroom; tired, worn-out decor in the corridors (the non-smoking lounge is rather nice); no non-smoking bedrooms (but you don't find this out until you get there, even after booking a N/S room); serve-yourself luke warm and tastless breakfast; extremely poor-quality dinner. But the gardens are rather attractive! The pool area is pleasant but the beauty salon looks like a real diy job. Altogether, an experience we want to forget. And we still had to pay the full price of the accommodation!

Having booked into the Armathwaite Hall Hotel for 3 nights, we had to leave after the first night. We booked into Lindeth Fell Country House Hotel and had a most delightful experience.

Awe Inspiring

I have just returned from my stay in The Hartley Tower Suite at The Armathwaite Hall Hotel. This hotel is exqusite. The room service was impeccable and the dining out of this world.

To wake up to the magnificent views of the lake, the fells and the beautiful grounds is something i will never forget.

I just cannot fault the hotel. There was only one problem - i had to leave

breath taking

My husband and I have been on a number of special occcasions to the hotel eg: wedding anniversaries & birthdays we were astonished to read some of the reviews as everytime we have been with no exceptions the service & hospitality has been second to none. The accomodation cleanliness friendliness and overall atmosphere is superb. We could not say anything else to all at ARMATHWAITE HALL keep up the good work.

Wonderful Week-End

Armathwaite Hall was the choosen venue by my daughter Sally for her marriage to Lee. What an inspired choice. The venue, staff, service, and food were excellent, from the moment we arrived to the very second we departed the staff looked after our every need, we even had some very very last gasp changes to the wedding breakfast and table plans, but Sybil and her colleagues made sure all we had to do was enjoy the day, and boy did we just. All our guests had nothing but praise for the quality of the wedding brakfast and service, especially the wine waiters who made sure they visited at regular intervals keeping everyone happy.
We had the added bonus of spending some time with very good friends before the wedding, and the views of Bassenthwaite Lake from our balcony made the celebratory drinks even more special.
Unfortunately I only have one daughter or I would do it all again tomorrow
It was worth every single penny of my hard earned money, and I would certainly do it all again tomorrow.
Please go "You Will Enjoy It"

Plain awful

by TripAdvisor Member layla77

When we arrived at Armathwaite Hall it looked quite impressive and is noticably in a beautiful location. As soon as you walk through the doors it is an entirely different experience. I understand the building is old but it really needs some special attention! It has an overall feeling of a half hearted attempt at a three star hotel - not a four star. The room was extremely small, as was the bathroom. For two adults and a labrador it was just ridiculous! The feeling you get from all the staff is that they really cannot be bothered with anything you ask and that they all hate their job. They are miserable, lazy and pretty rude - especially the duty manager. The food was totally disappointing and we had a screaming child next to us the whole time, so although we had paid for dinner each night we chose to go elsewhere for a much better dining experience. We had several problems with our daily newspapers being delivered, which is a task a trained monkey could carry out to be honest! The pool was miniscule and the gym so dated and dodgy looking we avoided it completely. The beauty spa was in much need of a makeover and looked very messy with cardboard boxes everywhere and a complete sense of disorganisation. Once when i was waiting for a treatment, the salon manager was on the phone to a hotel guest who was trying to book some treatments. I could see and hear all that the manager was saying and she was being very rude to and about this guest - most unprofessional. The treatments themselves were good and the south african girl very pleasant. The last straw with this "hotel" was when we had a group of teenagers in the room above us stampeding around like a herd of elephants until 11.30pm. The noise was so loud it was unbearable. Ringing the duty manager was a somber affair as expected and she was typically less than willing to help. The parents were at dinner and had left their kids to run riot and disturb everyone else and once they had come up and yelled at their kids to shut up they then turned their telly on so loud we could hear it as if it was in our own room. Needless to say we checked out early after this night and also needless to say did not hear any murmur of an apology. We then checked into a three star hotel called 'The Pheasant' just nearby and it was a much better experience - friendly service, spacious room and en-suite and stunning food. A message to Armathwaite Hall - 'If you begrudge running a good hotel and giving paying customers decent service then kindly state what you are - a three star hotel, if that, so guests are not misled and left totally disappointed.'

Awful - Many finer hotels in the lakes

I have never written any reviews before but I felt compelled to warn people about spending their hard earned cash here. My husband and I have traveled the world and have stay at some very fine hotels, so I feel that we have a good measure on what quality should be.

Yes, the hotel building and grounds are impressive but the hotel rooms, service and decor let this establishment down and Armathwaite Hall does not warrant a 4 star tag.

We booked a weekend DBB break for our anniversary. After checking in we were shown to our room. It was awful! It was frayed at the edges, the bathroom was small, dated, and worned out. It was like a terrible B&B. After much discussion with the duty manager at reception (she has no manners at all) we were shown to another room which was equally as bad. We were told that that was the best they can do. The duty manager continued to be rude and bullying. We decided that we had to leave and stay elsewhere.
The duty manager informed us that we would loose our £100 deposit. The hotel was that bad and the staff so rude, we left there and then. We found far better accommodation that night in Ambleside and then had a lovely anniversary weekend. I believe the hotel takes such a large deposit at reservation just to stop people leaving once they see the state of the hotel decor, rooms and service. I guess that once people have parted with this much money it is difficult to walk away. For us, it was so bad, we had to work away and loose our deposit. We didn’t want to let it ruin the whole weekend.

We have told family and friends to give this place a wide berth. We feel it is our duty to also warn other people from a huge and costly disappointment.

perfect romantic hotel

by TripAdvisor Member wicca

I cannot understand the negative views about this hotel, I have stayed in lots of hotels and none can match this. The location is stunning the rooms excellently furnished and the service is superb. I cannot wait to go back again.

Fraying at the edges

by TripAdvisor Member ilpostino

Have just returned from a two night stay at this hotel. A superb location and Room 121 on the third floor has stunning views over the Lake which almost make the high cost worthwhile. However the overall impression is of an Hotel in desperate need of a makeover. Our room had a small balcony which contained two chairs which were fine but accompanied by a small, dirty white plastic table that looked as though it had been borrowed from the spa. One of the chairs had bird droppings on it. The bathroom suite was very dated and the shower worked only erratically. When I telephoned room service to ask for a g&t and a dry martini the receptionist indicated that she would bring the drinks up but that she had "never made a dry martini before"!! At three o'clock in the afternoon the spa was unmanned with nobody about to order a drink from. Breakfast was a very ordinary affair and an otherwise interesting and well presented dinner was spoilt by a cheeseboard that the chef should never have let out of his kitchen. I could go on.

The Hotel is clearly reliant upon the Conference trade and there is a certain dumbing down evident which suits the conference guests but which is at the expense of ordinary paying guests. The staff, whilst very enthusiastic all lacked the experience necessary for an hotel of this stature. Most of the staff were foreign - eastern European?- and appeared to have some difficulty with the English language.

This is an expensive hotel and whilst it obviously depends on what you are used to we would not return unless and until a makeover has taken place, especially as regards the rooms, the spa, the staff and certain aspects of the dining. A shame because the location is excellent, the Hall itself is imposing, grand and welcoming and the initial feeling is encouraging.It is only when you start inspecting a little closer that you realise that this is an Hotel that is beginning to fray around the edges.

They lost our reservation . . . thank goodness!

by TripAdvisor Member SkyeTraveler

We originally booked for three nights but had to cancel one. When we arrived at the hotel a few days later, they had no record of our reservation at all. A clerical error had cancelled the entire booking. They could only accommodate us for that night, as the hotel was full. The check-in staff made no offer to help us find a room for the second night, which was very annoying, to say the least.

Still, they were suitably apologetic and offered us the only room available that night -- a deluxe suite with whirlpool tub, and a view of the lake. It sounded promising, and as the hour was late, we agreed to take it.

This is where the disappointment really began. The suite in question was of grand proportions, and it had a nice view of the lake. But it felt rather like the inside of a pub: dusty, old carpet you didn't want to touch with your bare feet, permeated by a faint smell of smoke. The window frames were rusty, and the glass could have used a good scrub. As for that much-vaunted whirlpool tub -- well, it did indeed exist, but in a bathroom that was so spartan it felt like the one in my old college dorm room (but larger -- I'll give it that.) The tub's faucet handles were loose, and I was afraid they'd come off in my hand.

Luxury touches that you'd expect even from a three-star hotel were missing. The bed was large and comfortable enough, but it had only two pillows. There were no bathrobes. The room had plates and utensils, so obviously there was meant to be fruit in the room, but there were none.

I would describe dinner as average, but, as there are six courses, you're unlikely to leave the table hungry. The service was attentive but lacked the polish you would expect in such a formal-feeling dining room.

I hesitate to warn people away from this hotel because it was full, and many people were obviously enjoying themselves. The hotel also makes an effort to cater to children. (In fact, the swimming pool should probably be restricted to children, as it's fairly small.) The grounds are beautiful and well kept and would look stunning in wedding photos. If you have your heart set on a grand house with lovely grounds close to a beautiful lake, and you don't mind bedrooms that could use an update (and probably a good steam-cleaning of the carpets), then you might like this hotel.

In hindsight, the lost reservation was the best thing that could have happened. After one night, we fled to the Sharrow Bay hotel in Ullswater, which suited us much better.

excellent,fantastic,marvellous

This was our second visit of the year to this oasis of excellence. The hotel set in the most magnificent scenery just oozes quality from the magnificent bedroom we stayed in to the sumptous food and caring staff. You are made to feel like royalty from the moment you step through the door. To make our stay more memorable we indulged ourselves with a trip to the beauty salon which was so relaxing and finished it of with a Quad Safari round the estate, WOW . A big thank you must go to Sally the Duty Manager who really looked after us. We will be back time and time again, see you soon

MooMoo

Buttermere ChurchButtermere Church

The Main Drag After The Afternoon ShowerThe Main Drag After The Afternoon Shower

PERU ?PERU ?