Babbling Brook Guesthouse

Barbara At The DoorBarbara At The Door

Travel Tips for Keswick

Ullswater it is then

by iandsmith

He seemed insistent. He certainly influenced me to the point that I altered my itinerary. Goodbye Wastwater, hello Ullswater. The owner of the B&B I was to stay at had suggested that Wastwater was not worth the trip. I may never know. Ullswater certainly was.
In spite of the inclement weather (a bonus at Aira Force) I made the trip.
Rounding a curve where the expanse of the lake becomes much more apparent I espied a yacht on the almost still waters. The lack of wind was immediately apparent in the lack of progress it was making.
I also noticed that if I could get them tacking in front of a small island it might make a nice shot. Thus it was that I pulled into the first available carpark and set the camera up on the tripod. Autumn leaves would help frame the picture.
I waited.............and waited and waited. Their frustration became my frustration. Time passed by, but the boat was barely moving until, almost without warning, it almost imperceptably began to turn. As is broadened out against the small island I snapped. I hope you enjoy the result.

To market, to market

by iandsmith

I can imagine this in summer. It would, as others suggest, be packed. Of course, with the intermittent drizzle we experienced and the cooling weather, crowds were not apparent.
Indeed, it was quite pleasant sticking my nose beneath some of the canopies. Since I have a small interest in photography I was keen to look at what was on offer at some of the stalls that were selling local pictures. I was suitably impressed by the quality on offer, so different from the oh-so-ordinary postcards on sale at the day to day shops in the area. Were it not so early in the trip I might have even made a purchase. It was not to be.
Keswick's traditional market offers a wide range of both locally and internationally produced pottery, carvings, crafts and clothes. You'll also find a tasty selection of home-made jams, preserves and other produce, as well as local meat.
Keswick's market takes over the centre of town every Saturday, and there is a smaller market every Thursday.

Not a place to stone the crows

by iandsmith

This is, dare I use the words, a grassy knoll, adjacent to Hope Park and set aside the lake with tranquil (depending on the weather) views across Derwentwater. It's called Crow Park.
Somehow it's nice just being there. A soothing invigorating feeling creeps over you as you take in the ever-mobile ducks, the just-offshore island and the hills beyond. Then, as you glance around you may see mist covered hills behind you brooding over the town.
Depending on the time of the year you may see farm animals grazing here so, remember to be careful where you tread!
It's a place to come for solace and to recharge your batteries. The best times are early mornings and dusk when the light (when it's not raining) causes subtle colour changes in the landscape and, best of all, it's free.

Comments