Derwentwater

DOUGALSMUM's Profile Photo

The best of both worlds

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 10, 2004

After a long and arduous journey we finally arrived at our destination- Portinscale just outside Keswick, unfortunately the directions given to the hotel are not very helpfull- nor is the signage in portinscale itself, so we then spent 20 minutes trying to find our accomodation- which is some going considering that portinscale is tiny. Perhaps some more detailed directions with your confirmation of booking may be helpfull.
Arriving in the reception area to a not particularly friendly welcome my mum was beginning to think she had made a bad choice. ( the derwentwater's main attraction to us was that they accepted dogs), however when we entered our apartment we were more than happy.The apartment was large, beautifully decorated and had all the facilities that you could wish for, including (a very nice touch) various board games to keep you happy if the weather was bad- if you didnt fancy board games you could rent a video from the in-hotel video library.
The next morning mum decided to try out the "award winning" restaurant for breakfast, She can truthfully say it was the worst breakfast she has ever had , she brought the sausage back for me-and I wouldnt eat it ( and I may only be a little dog but I have a huge appetite- especially for sausages, but even I couldnt force down what was supposed to be a cumberland sausage).

Unique Quality: The hotel and apartments have lovely grounds with wetland walks and wildlife abounding. there are ample entertainment opportunities of the low- key kind, scrabble, videos, listening to the piano player in the very hospitable bar, you can even get free access to a nearby health club,. The situation is perfect -away from the bustle of keswick, but yet only a 20 minute scenic stroll into the centre.
Everything about this place was great about this place- apart from the restaurant- the moral of the tale is...YES definately stay here- just dont eat in the restaurant!

Nearby Derwentwater

• Bar / Lounge
  • Pets Allowed
  • Free High Speed Internet

Keswick Travel Forum

Need advice about Keswick, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Keswick and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Keswick hotel reviews