I loved the public footpaths that crisscross the many areas of the Lake District that make taking a walk so delightful. These footpaths frequently went through farmer's fields (which would never happen in the U.S.) where their cattle or sheep were grazing.
Hope Park is lovely. It's got nicely laid out gardens with a stream running through, and bridges over the stream. It's also got a lot of benches to sit on (popular with Fish & Chip lovers!), a crazy golf and a mini-golf (pitch & putt). It's close to the lake and has views to the surrounding hills. It's also right next to Crow Park (see later) and The Theatre By The Lake. All in all, it's a pretty well connected spot! ;-)
Where there are gardens, there is hope
Hope Park, strategically located between town centre and lake, was donated to the town in 1925 by Sir Percy Hope in a philantropic gesture. The land had once been an area for the grazing of horses, used to transport charabancs from Keswick Railway Station to the various hotels in the town.
The Park was opened as a golf course on the 27th May 1927 by Mr J H Taylor, who was the British Golf Champion at that time.
Golf is still played in Hope Park and is enjoyed by many thousands of people every year. There is an ever popular crazy golf course with a Lakeland theme, just perfect for family fun, plus an 18 hole putting course and a splendid 9 hole pitch and putt course, all laid out amongst the most magnificent surroundings.
After the death of Sir Percy Hope OBE in 1974 the Hope Park Charitable Trust took over the running of the park. This magnificent park, set beside the Derwent Water, gives pleasure to all who enjoy its quiet areas and who take delight in watching the seasons change.
SIR PERCY HOPE - a potted history
Percy Mirehouse Hope was born in 1888, the son of a local bank manager. He had a distiguished military career in the first World War and turned down a War Office appointment to return to Keswick. A trained architect, he was closely associated with many housing and business projects. He founded the Lake District Hotels Company which, for many years, owned the Royal Oak, the Queen's and the George hotels. He served on the Urban District and County Councils, the Lake District Planning Board, the police committee and was a magistrate from 1934.
Throughout his life he was keenly interested in sport, first as a participant and later as supporter. He played rugby and cricket for the county. For over thirty years he was master of the Blencathra Foxhounds, and a member of most organisations in the town, from Rotary Club to St John's Church, Conservative Club to school governing bodies.
He was knighted in 1954 and lived in Brundholme Terrace, a street near the park, for most of his life.