Oakthwaite House

35 Helvellyn Street, Keswick, CA12 4EP, United Kingdom

• Keswick- lovely B&B

We found this great B/B with the help of Keswick Tourist Board website and we were not disappointed. Our bedroom was very spacious contaoning a massive superking size bed, TV/DVDs/CDs and nice toiletries. Good relaxing chairs and a footstool made up for the absence of a lounge. Breakfast was first class with a good selection on the menu including tasty local Cumberland sausages. The location was very central , just five minutes walk from Keswick town centre. It was easy to access some great walks and the stunning scenery of the area.

Unique Quality: The owners were very friendly and welcoming. theyn were well versed in local knowledge re: places to eat. walking routes etc. Oakthwaite House offers very clean,bright and comfortable accommodation at a reasonable price. We will be back!

Directions: Cumbria, Lake District, Northern England

More about Oakthwaite House

Top B&B

by TripAdvisor Member M_ALondon

We stayed for 5 nights in early October with a king size and a single room. Every aspect of our stay was fantastic with the special touches included by David and Karen making all the difference. From the moment we arrived we were treated with a warm and friendly manner.

Features of the property which added to our stay were the tasteful fitting of the rooms, the superb breakfasts and the DVD library. David's detailed guidance and maps for walking were above and beyond expectations.

Although there are many other B&B's in Keswick nearby, I would most certainly stay at the Oakthwaite again and will recommend to others travelling to the Lakes.

top class b+b

by TripAdvisor Member dixiewestmids

My partner and i have just returned from a weekend stay at oakthwaite house. This b+b is absolutely wonderful, with Karen and David being the most perfect hosts. The breakfast is amazing, my partner especially liking the home made granola.
The room was spotlessly clean with lovely welcoming chocolates and toiletries.
We will both definately be stopping here again.

Great value B&B

by TripAdvisor Member Lamby28

It's a great value B&B in a good location. The rooms are clean & tidy. The breakfasts are delicious and hearty (they kept me going on many a walk). The hospitality is excellent, very warm and friendly service from David & Karen. I was surprised it's only been open less then 2 years. A little gem! Will definitely be back again.

What a pleasant stay!

by TripAdvisor Member NorthWalesElvis

I have just had a lovely stay at Oakthwaite House. I found the owners, David and Karen, very welcoming and accomodating, despite bringing my own two small children! They made our stay extremely enjoyable, in particular the breakfasts were fantastic, and kept us all going for most of the day. The rooms were comfortable and they catered for our children well with kids DVD and a DVD player in bedrooms, child seats and cutlery/crockery, a baby monitor to use when children had gone to sleep and David and Karen were very hands on with our kids. They were also a great source of local knowledge and could recommend activities for families to do. A most enjoyable stay!

Fantastic place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member SueLopez

Excellent facilities - espeially appreciated the DVD library when it was too wet to go out and do much! The breakfasts were amazing, and the high tea is to be heartily recommended. Loved it and hope to return soon - my only concern is that everyone else will want to stay here once they hear about it and it will be fully booked!

As good as I remembered....

by TripAdvisor Member RuthOxford

We booked in at Oakthwaite House for a second time, when we went up to the Lake District again, and it was just as good as I remembered.

We had a different room this time, one at the top of the house with a fantastic view of Skiddaw. It wasn't an ensuite room, but the owners said that they are planning to make all their rooms ensuite soon. It was a very comfortable room though, and even though there was a family with a small baby staying next door I didn't hear them at all.

The owners gave us a very warm welcome with freshly baked scones and tea, and remembered us from our last visit as well! As I was not feeling quite as fit as I was on our last visit, David (one of the owners) recommended a shorter walk up Castle Crag, which was great. It was a very very cold day, and I was glad of the huge fry up we'd eaten at breakfast (including delicious and very local sausages).

The only problem was not having enough time to do all the walking, all the shopping, all the eating out AND watch all the lovely old films from their extensive DVD collection! Never mind, next time....

Glad we chose Oakthwaite House again, and we'll be back!

Exceeded all (high) expectations!

by TripAdvisor Member Squirruck

Booked three nights at Oakthwaite in November based on Tripadvisor reviews and our stay there exceeded ALL our expectations - which were already pretty high! Clean rooms, great hospitality, and deliciously hearty breakfasts would put many 5 star hotels to shame! We definitely plan to go back.

The best B&B we've ever visited!

by TripAdvisor Member WJ33

This was our second visit to Oakthwaite House and we have already recommended it to everyone we know.

The rooms are beautifully furnished, clean, comfortable and have thoughtful extra little touches.

Breakfasts are amazing!!

Karen and David are the perfect hosts - friendly, welcoming and with an excellent knowledge of the local area.

Our friends stayed here (after we recommended it to them) and they loved it too.

The location is excellent, B&B is the best we've ever experienced. This is a very special place!!

The best B&B in Keswick

by TripAdvisor Member Mike_the_yorkie

This is a gem of a guest house right in the heart of Keswick. We were made to feel welcome from the moment of our arrival to our departure. The genuinely easy-going and warm nature of the two proprietors, David and Karen, made us feel completely at ease throughout our stay. The cooked breakfasts are great – well-prepared and with good quality ingredients; The Cumberland sausage was as good as you’d get anywhere. David was also very knowledgeable about walks in the local area; he seems to be an experienced mountaineer, having spent time in the Himalaya and the Andes, but was also totally approachable. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble to make our stay enjoyable. This level of service for such a reasonable price is hard to find. The rooms are also tastefully decorated in neutral tones – something of a rarity in Keswick in my experience! I cannot praise this B&B highly enough. I for one will be coming back. Why can’t all guest houses be run as well as this?

Comments