Watermilock, Ullswater null

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Leeming House

Fantastic staff and service

by TripAdvisor Member luven

Me and my boyfriend have just returned from a 2 night, mid-week stay at Macdonald Leeming House, for 290 pounds inc. bed and breakfast. The hotel was beautiful with a garden that was truly stunning. The hotel staff warmly greeted us and then checked up on us to ensure we were happy with our room. The room itself could have been a little bigger, and more extravagant for the cost, although the bathroom was very well done and extremely spacious. We had a balcony overlooking the garden and a fantastic mountainous background above the stunning Ullswater Lake. We enjoyed a meal in the restuarant at night which was outstanding, with staff that were very pleasant and attentive. The lounge areas where you can sit throughout the day were historic and truly relaxing. Breakfast was a surprisingly non-greasy cooked breakfast, accompanied by lots of toast, tea and coffee, and the usual display of cereal and fruit laid out on a separate table. We booked this hotel after seeing an offer on the websites Last Minute Rooms and Late Rooms. The room was 290 instead of being close to 400 pounds after quoting what we had seen on the internet, and deciding to stay mid-week. A lovely hotel with views that are well worth forking the money out for. We stayed in Suite 1 and we could not imagine any room having a more spectacular view, so try and ask for the one!

Lovely location, great food.

by TripAdvisor Member SilasMarner

Set in splendid mature gardens right on the lakeside, this is one of the best situations in Lakeland. My wife and I have been visiting the Lakes annually for at least 20 years and although it is not the most comfortable hotel we have stayed in, Leeming House certainly has the best location. This was our second visit to the hotel and we went back because the overall experience was so enjoyable and the food was memorable.

Superb Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member anna12England

My husband and I have recently returned today from a lovely two night say at Leeming House as part of a week long tour of the Lake District. This hotel is simply superb, the grounds are magnificent, the staff could not possibly have been more friendly or helpful, the food a joy to behold - our compliments to the chef. Our room (number 16) was delightful, being furnished to a very high standard - managing to achieve both elegance and luxury. Our room had the benefit of a king sized bed, with pristinly white linen, lovely French windows leading onto a private terrace with a lovely garden view. Our room had all the usual refinements one would expect of a hotel of this standard along with a few added extras. The maids serviced the room twice daily to a very very high standard - on an evening they discreetly turned down the bed, tidied, closed curtains and switched on lamps all whilst we dined. The grounds are immense and breath taking, with perfectly manicured gardens sweeping down to the lake side. Our experience of Leeming House was one of complete relaxation and pure enjoyment. We cannot recommend this establishment highly enough.

Fab hotel

by TripAdvisor Member AngDew

My hubby and I stayed at this fab hotel for a 3 night stay at the beginning of March. As a previous reviewer stated, this is a hotel for the "elderly" but I disagree that you have to be 70+. I am in my late 50s and have a very modern, young outlook on life, but I do like my comfort together with good food and good service.
Leeming House Hotel is all of these things, log fires, afternoon tea, gorgeous views over the lake and comfy bed and pillows. Yes, the food is a bit "prissy" and not a lot of it, my hubby was still a bit hungry after a starter and main course, but there are plenty of places to eat out if you so wish.

The weather, as to be expected in March, was bad, rained most of our stay, but it didn't stop us from having a wonderful time. We met a lovely couple during our stay and had many a long chat in front of the log fire after our evening meal with coffee and the obligatory G + T!!

Summing up, Leeming House is a place I would love to visit again and I highly recommend it, but maybe not if you're in your 20s or 30s.

Truly Outstanding!

by TripAdvisor Member **$**

Myself and my husband thoroughly enjoyed a relaxing two night stay at Leeming House in March 2007. The hotel is set is a beautiful location with gardens stretching down to the shores of Ullswater. We were lucky enough to have a room with a balcony & a garden/lake view which is certainly worth asking for as the views are breathtaking. The staff are welcoming and attentive, particularly the restaurant staff who literally couldn't do enough for us. Our evening meal was of the highest standard and the breakfasts were fabulous. There isn't really anything I can say to fault the hotel. The rooms were clean and spacious with all necessary facilities (although no satelitte as suggested on their web site).

My only tip for future guests is that if you are not booked in for an evening meal and want to eat out in a nearby pub is to make sure you book. We tried to get in at the pubs in Pooley Bridge but they were full quite early on in the evening.

what an ambience

by TripAdvisor Member charlie_dog

leeming house is wonderful. Its situated on lake ullswater with superb gardens with views of the lake. The reception were very professional and welcoming. We were given a room on the ground floor which had a patio area and views of the lake. The room was oldy worldy but good quality, no mini bar, but tea and coffee, I didnt see a hairdrier in the room or bathroom but there was an iron and ironing board. There was also no air conditioning but this was ok as it was october. The bathroom was good quality. The bar was very small and most drinks are taken in one of the "lounge rooms" with comfy sofas and lovely views of the gardens and lakes. We ate breakfast as it was included in our rate (otherwise £17.50) it was excellent quality and you ordered your breaky cooked fresh to order. There was also yogurts and cereals etc. The staff very attentive even when it got busy at 9.30 when breakfast ended. Evening meals were a fixed £40 per head for a 3 course meal. There is a pub called the Brackenrigg inn which is 1.3 miles away. This serves pub food and has also has a lovely restaurant which was excellent, We walked to this along the main road (take a torch if you intend to do this as its very dark on the way home) Would i stay here again?oh yes its one of the best hotels i have stayed in..

Foam Mattress!!!

by TripAdvisor Member olympic876

The rooms were shabby and in need of repair, every floorboard moved and made a loud noise when walk upon. Great if you want to know when your neighbours go for an early breakfast. The only thing holding the floorboards in place seemed to be the well worn carpet, which in some places only the mat remained. Wall paper is slowly peeling for the walls and balcony doors do not lock. Despite listing 12 to 15 television stations in the room guide, only 5 were actually functioning.

Worst of all, was the mattress on the under sized double bed. It was FOAM! A hotel experience last endured at a budget (£15/night/room) motorway hotel.

The tea and coffee and bath facilities provided were very basic and limited. I would strongly recommend taking your own shampoos, conditioners, body wash, tea, coffee and milk supplies.

Breakfast was an experience in itself. The first time I have been told that a full English breakfast does not come with scrambled eggs (just fried). Picky I know - but when I'm on holiday and have the time to enjoy breakfast, I'd like my eggs scrambled.

Upon leaving, we were presented with a hotel bill with services listed in a way that not even the receptionist who had prepared the document could explain. It eventuated that there were several "discretionary" staff tips for services it was unclear whether we had received.

Overall, Leeming House presented itself as a budget hotel you would expect to find near King's Cross or Paddington train station, offering cheap accommodation to migrant workers.

Definitely not a 4 star hotel and for value for money and falls well short of the mark. Stay elsewhere if you are having a break in the Lakes District.

very festive and relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member dogblue

we stayed at the hotel for one night two weeks before christmas. we stayed in the garden suite which had a view of the lake and was very comfortable. We spent the evening infront of the log fire, it was really cosy. The hotel and surroundings are beautiful and we will be returning in the summer to enjoy them more fully. As mentioned in other reviews the drinks and service charges are a bit pricey

Beautiful, but it's where you go to retire!! Or die!!

by TripAdvisor Member halli9979

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights for our honeymoon between Christmas and New Year. It's a beautiful hotel, but you need to be 70+ to really fit in! The food is very fancy, a little bit too fancy for our tastes, and the liquidised pea drink we had before our starter really wasn't my thing!
We were booked in Dinner, Bed and Breakfast, but only managed 1 night in the restaurant as we couldn't handle another night of "we've been coming here for 17 years!" "Well. we've been coming here for 21 years!" "well, we beat you all, we've been coming here for a million years!" from the other guests, all of which in their 70's/80's and shouting due to being hard of hearing!
The Garden Suite was lovely, but definately not worth the £260 per night that we paid. We did ask where we could go for lunch at reception, and we were told "round the back". Round the back of where? After walking in on 2 families having lunch and a meeting, we gave up and drove into Keswick for a pub lunch!
The gardens are incredibly beautiful though, and you couldn't wish for a more beautiful setting.
It was just a little too like the Shining for my liking. I'm sure I'll love staying there when I'm about to retire!!

Great Country House hotel experience

by TripAdvisor Member English_RosieUK

This is a great hotel for a Northern Lakes getaway. Very traditional country house style, log fires, great breakfasts, afternoon tea in the library. Staff really friendly and helpful. Beds large and rooms have good views of Ullswater. Minor criticism that some of the carpets look a bit scruffy, but overall I would definitely go back, and think it is really good value for money, particularly if you are used to paying for hotels in South East and London

Comments