Applegarth Villa & JR's Restaurant

College Road, Windermere, LA23 1BU, United Kingdom

More about Applegarth Villa & JR's Restaurant

Excellent food

The food was superb and the views to the west, particularly from Room 10, were outstanding. This is a family-run hotel and those that we met were friendly and obliging.

It has a large, private car-park at the rear of the premises, and the hotel is conveniently situated for rail travellers too. The Applegarth is a grand old house, which has been sensitively restored by its present keepers.

Poorly run hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rashers

Stayed for 2 nights in late April. Bathroom was hopeless. Both taps loose on basin, no towel rail, only handheld shower (clearly the wall holder was missing - denied by management), no table in bedroom, no waste basket in bedroom area.
All in all very disappointing - management not interested.
Will not be returning!

Unpleasant stay

My wife and my parents stayed here for three nights and I can NOT recommend this hotel. There were some good things - the breakfast was really great and the scenery out back is beautiful. The town is charming and is conveniently located near other places. Now, the problems were that our sheets were not even clean when we arrived. There were little hairs on them. The room was not vacumed and the shower did not have good water pressure. Our room was in the basement and we could hear car noise from the street even though there was hardly any traffic. The owners were not particularly friendly and they wouldn't even let us eat at the restaurant, which they constantly bragged about. Apparantly you have to book a reservation to eat at the restaurant in the hotel!!! I found the owners very stand off-ish, unlike the very friendly staff we had in Stratford-Upon-Avon. They were not helpful in any way. I would have enjoyed my stay immensely if I had a clean room, some water pressure, and nice staff.

3rd time here and loving it

by TripAdvisor Member patrickstewart

I cannot agree with the comments made by our colonial cousins. The Applegarth is a wonderfully situated hotel with staff who are the friendliest I have encountered. The rooms are spacious and very clean! The restaurant has to be booked in advance because of its popularity due to the high standard of food served. The hotel theme is one set in an Edwardian style and is tastefully decorated and highly maintained. The exclusive boat ride on the owner's luxury 44ft ocean going yacht and the champagne makes for an unforgettable experience

Perhaps a little more understanding of traditional customs and values and an appreciation that the 'macdonalds' way of service is not always the way should be considered.

Lovely hotel

We have stayed at the family-owned and operated Applegarth twice, both times for 6 nights and greatly enjoyed both visits. The food in the restaurant is of the highest standard, and the family (a.k.a. the ‘staff’) is extremely friendly. We can strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a stylish but informal place to relax at in the Lake District. We will certainly be back.

Regarding the complaints of some recent visitors: as part of my job I stay in international hotels almost every week of my life. One has to understand the difference between the service approach at a 5* international hotel with hundreds of staff charging £200+ pppn night vs a family-owned hotel being run by 4/5 people costing between £40-65pppn per night. Let’s be realistic.

If we had to complain about anything, it is that we found that during our second visit the room was not cleaned to the same standard as during our first visit. Nothing serious, just a niggle.

Very poor value for money

What a disappointment. Booked well in advance but was given a tiny, dingy room. The floor was uneven and there was a 1/2 inch gap where the door did not meet the floor. I am only 5'7" but my feet dangled off the end of the tiny bed (actually two cot beds pushed together). The furniture was old and basic, the bedspread simply depressing. The water wouldn't drain out of the shower tray in the bathroom, we had to shower in short bursts of water or it would have overflown. I would have had a bath instead - but there was no bathtub. At £120 a night, you kind of expect these basics.

When I mentioned the shower the staff pretended to know nothing about it and I was told they would try to fix it. On checking out (once I had handed over the money) I was told it was a problem with the way the original plumbing had been put in (so they surely must have already known about it) and it sounded like they weren't in any hurry to fix it.

Overall the room was worth roughly half the amount I was charged for it, even if it had a fully working shower. A complete rip-off. A shame, because the rest of the hotel looked nice enough.

Top class

We visited the Applegarth in July of this year and were very pleased with the hotel. It was in a very good location, in the town centre with only a 20 minute walk to lake windermere. The hotel owner was very friendly and upon arrival was able to give us recommendations as to where to go and what to see. The hotel was very nicely furnished with a lovely bar and restaurant area. We ate in the hotel and the food was fantastic and very reasonably priced. The room which we stayed in was a twin room which was very large and well decorated, not what we expected for a twin. All in all was a very lovely place to stay and we will go back the next time we are in the lakes.

The best food in town.

This was our 4th visit to this hotel since it changed ownership 4 years ago. We generally stay for 3 days and on each of our visits we have been surprised by the continual alterations and improvements. The new sitting room, the revised dining room layout, the wonderfull menu, the endless supply of hot water and the high pressure showers, the list of improvements is endless. The one thing that has not changed is the warm and friendly attitude of both the management and the staff. It would be difficult to imagin how any further improvements could be made but when visit again next year, cant wait

poor reception

by TripAdvisor Member lakedistrictfan

We booked a 3 night stay for £120 each and on arrival were impressed by look of hotel.However our room was small and dingy,the only light from fire escape.Shower overflowed if used for any lenght of time and our bed sloped head downwards. I expressed my disappointment to owner and was met with verbal abuse,much to my disgust.He had no interest in speaking with me and twice walked away leaving me standing at desk feeling very foolish. His wife then appeared and asked me what i expected for £40 a night each in the height of the season? At no point was i anything other than polite and feel that her parting comment on the fact that i was scottish was at the least offensive.We left and continued our stay in a beautiful guest house nearby.

Great hotel, will return again

by TripAdvisor Member ceb58

This was our second visit to the Applegarth. Both times the food has been superb. The hotel quiet, the bed large and comfortable and the shower great. The service was excellent without being intrusive. The restaurant is closed on Sunday's, though the owner did recommend a local pub which served basic but good food. The hotel also has free access to a local leisure centre for those rainy days.

Comments