Newby Bridge Road, Windermere, LA23 3LR, United Kingdom
Agoda.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Beech Hill Hotel

Love the hotel that much we got married there!!

by TripAdvisor Member rachelyorks

We had stayed at the Beech Hill hotel a few times before we decide it was the place for us to tie the knot! we got married on a Sunday afternoon with 50 guests and everything was perfect, we stayed in the Wordsworth Suite! stunning! the staff are wonderful and nothing is too much trouble.I would recommend this hotel 100%.

High standards

by TripAdvisor Member GeoffinUK

We have just returned from a short mid-week break at the Beech Hill hotel. It is now part of the Richardson group, whose flagship hotel is the Grand in Torquay, and is no longer associated with Best Western. Old-established hotels like this can either become tatty and run-down, or can maintain high standards. The Beech Hill falls into the second category. Money has been spent and the bedrooms have been modernised - ours had a new bathroom. Apart from a little more to do in the gardens and the odd frayed staircarpet, the fabric and decor are in excellent shape. The views over Windermere are spectacular - it is definitely worth paying a little more for a lake view. The food, whether in the restaurant or room service, is execellent. The clientele when we were there appeared to be respectable middle-class, mostly couples with a smattering of families. There are sensible dress standards in the public areas. The staff, mostly young and I'd guess Eastern European, are efficient, friendly and helpful. All in all, we found this a well-run hotel in a splendid location. Recommended.

Two Happy Bunnies

by TripAdvisor Member chetz

Having been surprised by my wife with a trip to the lakes and a two night package including five course meal on the first night at BEECH HILL HOTEL I was unable to read previous reviews of what to expect, therefore, for once, we arrived and I had no preconceptions. Approached from the roadside the hotel facade runs parallel to the road and gives no hint of what lays within, but entering into the foyer /lounge you cannot but be impressed at the vista of windermere lying below in its full glory, a full 180 degree spectacle throught he glass frontage, with a large verandah accessed from the plush lounge, where you can take your drink out and relax...cumbrian weather permitting!
As has been mentioned, the hotel is set over 7 floors and has been subject to various modifications at different times, indeed there was work taking place whilst we were there but out of general view, we were shown to room 52, and totally gobsmacked to find we had been upgraded to this room for free..and what a view, over garden terrace to the open lake below, a stunning sight to open the curtains to in the morning, the room itself was in good order, bed comfortable, all facilities working, yes there was a seperation iin the carpet near the wardrobe and yes the stair carpets were in need of some repair but these did not dtract from enjoyment of the room.
And so to the food...having had the five course meal included in the package as opposed to paying 39.95(!!)EACH for it, I was able to enjoy the 'GOURMET OF THE LAKES' menu so much more...and we really did...the menu was so different that it would take more than this review to do it justice..suffice to say we wish we could have afforded to pay for a second attempt..never mind!!
Staff were all charming, and bar one or two, seemed predominantly eastern european and all attentive. the general ambience in the Lounge was of old country hotel and the restaurant formal and reserved in the evening, swish in the morning...breakfasts were more than adequate.......the pool area was modern, clean and refreshing and on a sunny day as we had it was great to throw open the french doors and let the sun stream in...
So overall a great stay, although I could expect some of the rooms to have indifferent views I am afraid we were treated royally and would return in a flash...and we would know where we would want our room to be!! YES..WE ARE TWO HAPPY BUNNIES..THANKS BEECH HILL!

Brilliant -Excellent vaule for money

Booked this hotel at the last minute, didn't read any reviews before I left so we didnt know what to expect. The person on the phone went out of their way to get us 2 rooms next to each other with an extra bed in one of the rooms.

Got to the hotel early, so couldnt check into our room, but we could use the facilities. We ordered some food which was a little disappointing.

Our rooms were located on the lower floor, we thought becasue we had paid so little that we were going to be in the "dungeons" how wrong we were we had a little patio area outside our room and grass and a fantastic view of the lake.

The room was clean and tidy and there was a kettle with tea coffee & chocolate drinks and some biscuits.

The bathroom was clean, although, I think the tiles round the shower could have done with a steam clean (but that's my opinion)

The hotel is a short drive away from bowness and newby bridge, there are only 5 buses a day at silly times.

Breakfast was full english, self service, was delicious!

100% perfect

by TripAdvisor Member Liversage

I recently stayed for one night in the Hotel's Wordsworth Suite for my honeymoon and found my entire stay thoroughly enjoyable. The staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them. As soon as we arrived we were given a complimentary cup of coffee in the Hotel lounge, which has a log fire and big comfy sofas which overlook the Lake.

The room itself was beautiful with a 7 foot antique bed and patio doors which stretch right accross the room which lead onto an outdoor garden terrace with it's own private outdoor hot tub. The curtains are remote control so you don't even have to get out of bed in the mornings to enjoy the stunning views of Lake Windermere. The bathroom has a double shower and a free standing roll top bath. The hot tub of an evening time is the perfect way to relax.

The Hotel is built on the banks of the lake so almost all of the rooms are Lake facing. The majority of the rooms seem to have patio doors that open onto a wooden decking area or a garden tarrace, and from the rooms at the bottom of the Hotel you can walk from your room straight down to the waters edge.

The food in the restaurant is amazing. There is the choice of a Simple 3 course menu or a Gourmet 5 course menu both of which are good value for money. The restaurant, lounge and bar all overlook the lake.

Overall I would give my stay a 10/10 and will be definitely be returning in the near future.

A ghastly place

by TripAdvisor Member MPhoenix

I have stayed in a lot of hotels over the last 20 years; business & pleasure, large, small, corporate, private - UK, Europe and beyond. So perhaps I can offer a fair and informed opinion.

General feel: that of an old Blackpool hotel. Threadbare, bizarre 70’s furniture, carpets ripped and curled here and there, fabrics faded and a cobbled together staff structure that operates at a very basic level. There is a palpable sense of awkwardness and general disorganization. Cost: rooms are vastly over priced. And I do mean over priced. £178 room, should've been £49. Same incredible ratio of unevenness throughout apparently. There are some newer rooms, but they are ill-designed and do not form the main body of the hotel. Food: OK, but nothing special. Amazed at any accreditation they might have. Staff: mixed abilities. Many east-Europeans who were clearly ill-trained and seemed essentially disinterested. One senior waiter argued stridently with a guest in a well populated public lounge – extremely unprofessional, at any level. Guests: weird mix indeed. Tweeds, tracksuits, tattoos, blue rinses, shaven heads, all sat in the lounge in their respective groups, and all looking as perplexed as each other. At dinner, there were people dining in suits and ties, next to people in jeans and t-shirt. Basically the hotel has no vision and no direction. Management: the worst I've seen: uncommunicative and indifferent.

If the whole experience wasn’t so utterly comical, it would’ve been truly dreadful. I certainly will not be returning to this shambles of a hotel. The only good thing is the lake, and that's nothing to do with the hotel. In short, go somewhere else.

wedding

by TripAdvisor Member ginoc

my daughter had her wedding at thebeech hill and all the guests have all been overawed with the location and the hotel, the whole day was perfect and the staff fantastic we could not of got a better day any where else we are regular visitors there now

Hotel messed up booking made 3 months previous

by TripAdvisor Member littlemisstraveller

Very unhappy with the service I recieved from this hotel.

I made a booking in November for the wordsworth suite and when I telephoned to add an extra night i was told that my booking was for another room.

This was not acceptable as I had telephoned in November checking that the room I was making a booking for was the suite and then i checked again 2 weeks ago when I found out that the hotel was no longer Best Western.

The staff said 'this could not have happened'

Well it did, and I am very dissapointed. For the staff to imply that what I was saying, i could not have been told, made the situation much worst.

Valentines day ruined by misinformation - I would not stay here again as I could not trust the staff to correctly check my booking when asked.

I was also told there was 'no way' i could get the suite on valentines day as the same couple have the room every year.

That says it all really.

Perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member ross_peart

On arriving at the hotel we were greeted by some lovely and friendly staff that immediately offered a complimentary cup of tea or coffee. On getting to our room it had everything we required for a comfortable stay in the lakes and on top of this the view from the room is amazing and we had our own little terrace from our room which was nice.

The following morning we went for breakfast which was just BRILLIANT!! Help yourself to everything!!! So I helped myself to beautiful cumberland sausage, bacon, beans, tomato, fried and scrambled egg, mushrooms, black pudding and toast and then went back for a second helping 10/10 for breakfast. There was also fruit and cereal etc etc for those people not into cooked breakfast along with tea or coffee and juice.

The hotel is located in a nice quiet spot with plenty of car parking space and is a short 5 min drive from the surrounding towns of Bowness and about 10 mins from Ambleside. Then the south of lake windermere is also only a short drive.

On an evening the hotel is nice and you can sit and enjoy a drink in the bar with the background music of a gentleman playing the piano - he was very good. I didnt eat in the hotel restaurant so I cant review this as we decided to eat in a lovely restaurant in Bowness one night and ate out in Ambleside the other night.

The hotel leisure facilities are also nice and clean. I was very happy to be able to go for an early morning swim and one early evening. There is also a sauna and solarium to enjoy. 10/10

All in all the stay at the hotel was perfect and I would stay there again.

Our Wedding was perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member BaileyWigan

We got married at this hotel in December and it was perfect!
I would recommend getting married on a Sunday as we did as there were far fewer other residents at the hotel - in fact we almost had the hotel to ourselves! It was stress free and Donna who was the wedding co-ordinator was extremely helpful and everything went off without a hitch. It was a lovely setting overlooking the lake with roaring log fires. We stayed in the Wordsworth suite which was fantastic - it even had it's own private door leading out to the swimming pool. We had a hot tub outside with stunning views of the lake and all of our guests had great rooms also. The food and service were excellent and it was a week-end we will never forget!

Comments