Lakes

Booking.com Orbitz.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• Peterodl's Profile Photo

Lakes Hotel Windermere

I stayed at the Lakes Hotel for two nights (June 1+2, 2009) in room #3. The location of the hotel, about 100 meters from the train station was the main factor that attracted me to it. Upon arriving, I met the owner/operator who came off brusque but friendly enough, who showed me to my room upstairs. I was not expecting a large room since I booked a single but the private toilet was down the hall and at the top of the stairs. The bed was comfortable enough but on my first night I turned around to lay down after watching the four channels of tv and noticed my pillow had some rather large, moving black spots that turned out to be a bug of some kind. I found other bugs of the same sort on the headboard and opposite side of my pillow that I promptly squashed. I did not see any more bugs the rest of my stay though thankfully.
    The room came equiped with a small mini-fridge which was nice to have, a shower and a sink. The window looked out onto the main road leading up to the train station only about 100 meters away. It was usually too noisy to have my window open at night if I didn't want to wear my earplugs.
    The breakfast in the morning was actually pretty good. You could get the basic small individual cereal box serving and milk and if you wanted it, a traditional English hot cooked meal consisting of eggs, ham and toast. It was a little bit greasy for my taste but it was nice to have a hot breakfast all the same.
    I took the sightseeing tour "A" that the hotel runs and it was a fun time and I did see a lot but I would definitly stay at a different hotel next time I visit the Lakes District. One that doesn't have bugs crawling on the pillows if at all possible.

Directions: From train station, walk down main street. Hotel directly in front of you where the road splits.

Comments