Lowwood Hotel

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Lowwood Hotel

Awful hotel. Complete rip off

by TripAdvisor Member DeniseJM

We have just returned from this awful hotel and can safely say we will not return.

Upon arriving we were given a lake view room which was small and grubby. The bathroom was reasonably clean but there was no shower curtain. After unpacking,we went down to the Marina Bar for a drink. The barman wasn't particularly helpful and we found him to be quite rude. The wine we were served was undrinkable and warm - it was also £15.95 per bottle! After an awful nights sleep (we weren't aware of the main road either) we went down for breakfast. The food was cold and dried up and this was for £10 per person! We did not eat in the hotel again but we did move rooms. The room at the back of the hotel was fine but we really wish we had stayed in a B+B. B+B's in the area are half the price of this sad excuse for a hotel and we couldn't have failed to find a higher standard of accommodation and food elsewhere.

Awful.

Outdated plumbing

by TripAdvisor Member maguala

It is incredible how little can you get for £80 a night. Leaky rooms, faulty telephones, very poor choice of food, a noisy road to spoil THE nice feature, ie the view of the lake. Amazing how some people are satisfied with this level of service!

Avoid room 406!

by TripAdvisor Member Snowweasel

First the good things. The hotel is the possessor of one of the classic views of Lakeland: across Windermere and onto the Langdale Pikes. Get a lake view room and lay in bed looking in wonder. Pity about the main road in between you and the view, though!
The staff are friendly and welcoming and the hotel has invested in a large conference suite and really nice leisure centre, with a great pool and OK gym. There is a brand new marina and watersports centre just across the road, a pleasant place for a post breakfast walk. Someone has spent some serious money here.
BUT....the place is a warren with stairs all over the place. Lake view rooms are noisy because of the main road running right past the hotel. It does quieten down a bit at night, but from 07.00 it gets busy again. The modern rooms at the back are big and well furnished, but perhaps begining to show their age. Room was clean and presented well. So far so good, but in my room (406) there was a low level hum that did not go away. It was one of those noises that you only notice in the dead of night, but once you do, you cannot ignore. It wasn't the bathroom fan (I checked) and I ended up laying in bed at 4.30 am with my Ipod on shuffle just to blank the noise out. I changed rooms in the morning, only to find out that a colleague in the next room had had the same trouble and had moved rooms in the middle of the night. Reception were sympathetic, but didn't show any great concern.
The bar is expensive. Breakfast is good. I was at a confernce which stretched the kitchen, I think. They totally forgot about providing lunch for our 60 delegates and we were offered some hastily cooked chips and some scrawny sandwiches!.
In all, some good points, but some irritating problems which could ruin your stay

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Snagger35

After reading some of the comments on this web site I must admit that I was a little dubious !
We were surprised by the grand entrance to the recently refurbished hotel although it does look a little tired from the outside. The gym was good,pool was always full of kids so I did not bother there! The food and service was fantastic.I presume that the bedrooms will be next to be refurbished fully. A slight down side was the noisy road but it was bearable and after long tiring days walking miles I could have slept on the kerbside itself!!

Better than before

by TripAdvisor Member Trevorcraig

I have returned to tnis hotel several times with my wife and young daughter. It has recently been refurbished and is even better than before. For us, it has everything. Superb food, Good standard of rooms (between Marriot and travel Inn), Good pool facilities, Pleasant and helpful staff , Good Childrens facilities, nice location right next to Lake Windemere and close to Ambleside. What more acn we say. Highly recommended with families.

Conference venue ideas

by Maxus

I’m expected to arrange a conference for 50 (under 26 year old) adults somewhere in the north of England for a weekend early October 2006.

I do not what to be slap bang in the middle of a big city or half of them will drift off to night clubs (when they should be socialising with their colleagues) but neither do I want it to be too far out in the wilds because many of them will be travelling by train and leaving on a Sunday.

If anyone has any ideas on suitable venues they will be much appreciated.

Regards

Maxus

RE: Conference venue ideas

by YVRDave

RE: RE: Conference venue ideas

by aaaarrgh

How about Scarborough? I attended a medium size conference there a few years ago, I think it was at the Spa Centre. At least, it was right by the Bay, with a bracing walk down the cliffs/from the town. Plenty of cheap accomodation in the town too. The organisers were a non-profit making organisation, so I would expect the Spa Centre prices must be reasonable.

Will be a bit cold for paddling on the beach though!

RE: Conference venue ideas

by Emmjai

I went to a conference at the Low wood Hotel, just outside Windermere; went there by train too! It was a good venue.

Another venue to thing about is White Hart in Halifax, or what about a University? Not really 'north' but I have been to events at both Warwick and Loughborough.

Emjai

RE: RE: Conference venue ideas

by Maxus

Thank you for the splendid suggestions I genuinely appreciate your help (I have made note of some of your ideas as I will be organising several similar events).

Incidentally, we do use Scarborough, I am there for a conference at the end of the month.

Today I booked Wortley Hall near Sheffield, which is perfect for this event as there is no town for our young members to drift off into.

Anyway, thanks again!