Windermere Hotels

Our Members Say

• MartinK35 profile photo MartinK35
  • Reviews: 11

Low Wood Bay Hotel: Stunning Waterside Location

I'm fortunate to stay here quite often as it's a hotel one of our clients at work use regularly on their coach tours of Britain. As, I'm always working, I drive the coach, it's always a welcoming place to relax after a long day on the road.

The Low Wood Bay Hotel sits just across the street from the water's edge. It has it's own pier and a water sports centre offering water-skiing, jet-skiing and sailing in the summer months. The rooms are always immaculate and the staff very friendly and helpful. It'a a little way out of town but the slightly detached location just adds to the restful ambience although It can get busy at weekends because it is often used for wedding receptions.

This might be a strange thing to mention in a review but it has the weirdest toilets (restrooms) I've ever seen. I don't know about the ladies but if you visit the gents just along the corridor from the beautiful lounge bar you get treated to recitals of Beatrix Potter. Seriously, you can listen to the Tales of Peter Rabbit while... erm... powdering your nose.

• Related to: Sailing and Boating, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written June 8, 2014
Tip Photo

• lalaaboutdogs profile photo lalaaboutdogs
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The burrows holiday cottage windermere: the Burrows holiday cottage

we took a holiday in Windermere in a cottage called the burrows through welcome cottages which was centrally located but after travelling there from south which took 8 hours + we found a cottage: 1_ back garden was not enclosed for dog to use and traffic use it. 2_ there was food debris in kitchen, dining room floors and dirty dishes. 3_ there was faeces all over the toilets and dirty bed linen. Owners promised us compensation for our distress but never honoured it. We never ate at the property, had to get bedding cleaned for our use for the week and not to state the obvious .. never holiday here anyone unless you like to holiday in dirt. Not recommended.

Shame about the property but it was ideally situated within the village and as a base to explore the lakes.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, National/State Park, Family Travel
  • Written December 15, 2011

• Fionafrank profile photo Fionafrank
  • Reviews: 5

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Knoll Country House, Lakeside, Windermere.: Knoll Country House - best b&b we've ever eaten in

We had dinner bed and breakfast at this fantastic place. It's at the bottom of the lake, slightly windy road but my satnav found it ok eventually. The bedroom was quite small BUT - the dinner and the breakfast were BOTH, the VERY BEST dinner and breakfast that my partner and I have EVER had in a hotel or B&B. (Breakfast for me was yoghurt and berries - breakfast for him was a wonderful full English). Everything they say on their website is true....

They say:
"In addition to our Five Stars, we are also one of the AA's Premier Collection establishments (the AA's quality award to only 10% of its establishments). We have also achieved success with the AA's breakfast and dinner awards.
This year we achieved Visit Britain's coveted Gold Award for exceptional quality in the Guest Accommodation category along with a breakfast and dinner award from this assessment.
We feature in the Which? Guide to Good B &B's, the AA Best B&B Guide and were chosen for the 'Editors Top 20' list in the 2004 guide. We have also been included in the Michelin Guide for the third year running in 2010.
This means that you can be assured of an excellent stay with superb food in comfortable and welcoming surroundings. "

fantastic food - totally unexpected.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Gay and Lesbian, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Hiking and Walking
  • Written April 5, 2010

• cjcross profile photo cjcross
  • Reviews: 13

Alice Howe: Lovely B&B

We only spent one night at the Alice Howe in October 2004 but would loved to have been able to stay longer. Our room was large and very comfortable. The bathroom was well-equipped. Everything was spotless. The house is beautiful and nicely furnished. The owners are very friendly and helpful.
We would highly recommend the Alice Howe.

• Written October 30, 2004

• Arm-Chair-Hero profile photo Arm-Chair-Hero
  • Reviews: 111

hotel

This Hotel is situated on a hillside towards the bottom of Windermere and cant be missed if walking on the road. Its an ideal place to go and have afternoon tea. The hotel is on a banking that is just far enough away from the main road to enjoy peace and quiet but not too far away as to make it a hill side trek. From the tables outside there is a stunning view of the Lake and surroundings, its well worth a visit to take a break from all the walking.

• Written September 27, 2004

Hillside hotel

• CdnJane profile photo CdnJane
  • Reviews: 517

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Old England: Lovely Old Hotel in a Beautiful Setting

I return back to my UK tour with my parents in March and April of 1973. I wish I had written prices in my journal, although they wouldn't be much use today. I have describes beds and meals - of importance to me I guess. I also know my room numbers, just in case I become famous and anyone wants to put up placques that Jane stayed there, I guess.
Anyway, I'm not sure what made us decide on that hotel, probably the regal nature of it. Anyway from my diary " Lovely, comfortable beds, delicious meals" What more could you ask for???

Upon visiting Windemere in later years, I would say that The Old England Hotel is located in a great place with a view to the lake.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average