Windermere, Windermere, England, Windermere, EN, L
Agoda.com Booking.com Otel.com

More about Storrs Hall

Lovely restaurant view and walks

by TripAdvisor Member rockyLancashire

We stayed at Storrs Hall as a special birthday treat from my husband. On the whole it was a very special birthday. The bedroom had the biggest bed we had ever slept in with beautiful views of the lake. We asked for the lakeside view for our meal that evening and they gave us the table featured in the brochure with the view. This really made the evening very special for us. The walks and views are lovely. We had a very special meal and the breakfast was also excellent. The staff are all very pleasant and attentive. There is no rush or stuffiness. They gave me some birthday chocolates with our coffees which was a nice touch.

However a few points that were not so good. Do not order sandwiches on the terrace as we did for lunch. We had over an hours wait for them and had to remind them we were still waiting. The sister hotel Low Wood is shown with a beautiful pool in the brochure however it reminded us of the public swimming baths but not as clean. It was very draughty and the changing rooms were dirty and very small. It definitely needs up-dating. The outside of Storrs Hall could also do with painting it looked rather neglected from the outside.

I would definitely recommend the lakeside walks by day and night.

Short Stay

by TripAdvisor Member KAREN345

Stayed at Storrs Hall for one night at the end of September. Did not experience any of the problems of the previous reviews. The room (No. 2) in the original building was large, beautifully furnished with a 6ft. bed. Likewise the bathroom was large, immaculately clean and well decorated. We had a lovely view of the lake from this bedroom. Cost was £120 for the night, so we obviously got a bargain. Did not stay for dinner but had a good breakfast the following morning. No sign of the corporate clients mentioned in previous reviews. Staff all polite and efficient. Beds turned down and towels changed in the evening. All in all a great stay to finish off a few days in the Lakes.

Fantastic hotel

by TripAdvisor Member michael_northwest

I can't believe some people gave this place negetive reviews. Storrs Hall is a fantastic hotel in a beautiful setting. The decor is exactly what is to be expected in a hotel like this; opulant, grand and is appropriate for such a wonderful building. We stayed in (i think) room 2 or 3. We were advised that this was the best room. We had a lake view, huge bathroom and a walk in closet. As for the comment on the limited menu, both my partner and I asked prior to arriving if the chef would be able to do 2 fillet stakes as we weren't keen on the set menu. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Before dinner we ordered a bottle of wine and the manager offered to give us a tour of the cellars and told us ablout the history of the Hall. We have booked to go back again in January. All in all I would say that this a fantastic hotel but if your looking for something boutique and modern then it won't suit. It is a country get away and for that it ticks all the boxes.

Fantastic Valentine Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member HelenLogan

We have just returned from a fantastic 2 night valentine stay at the Storrs Hall & would highly recommend the hotel . On arrival we were greeted warmly at reception & immediately made to feel welcome & relaxed. The main reception rooms are decorated exactly as you would expect in such a grand & beautiful building & were ornate & opulent & yet they had a really warm & comfortable atmosphere with cosy open hearths. We had what was described as a Classic room, which was furnished absolutely beautifully with a very large & spotless bathroom. The hotel is extremely elegant & quitetly sophisticated & yet not at all stuffy & the staff were without exception all highly professtional & very friendly & helpful. We dined in the restaurant on valentines night & it was truly a wonderful & memorable experience. We had pre-drinks in the bar before enjoying a beautifully prepared & presented meal. The entire ambience in the main restaurant is very special indeed. The hotel is in a stunning location & enjoys superb views of lake windermere from almost every aspect particularly the main restaurant. The hotel has a contrast of landscape gardens & both woodland & lakeland walks which we thorougly enjoyed exploring. The entire stay was a very special one & we definately intend to return.

Expensive - because it's worth it

by TripAdvisor Member MARCOOS

Booked 2 nights at Storrs Hall for our last "solo" break before offspring arrive..!

Cheaper and different to the samling et al - but beautiful traditional hotel bursting with heritage and cosiness as opposed to spa treatments and aching trendiness.

Superior room had beautiful views of the lake and the big luxurious bed and ensuite were great.

We took our pup as this is a pet friendly hotel - staff were great to snoop dogg - he speaks highly of the accomodation also.

Log fires, great bar (though beers need improving..) and a stunning restaurant en a par with starred restaurants we've visited. Staff and service throughout were 1st class.

Breakfasts also excellent. No pool/gym/sauna on site but the facilities of low wood, sister hotel, can be used and these are a 5 minute drive.

Would recommend to anyone - 2 nights (wed Thurs) in a lake view room with breakfast, 1 meal and 1 £25 bottle of wine came to £355.

Lovely Hotel!!

by TripAdvisor Member NicolaY

We stayed at this beautiful hotel for a Christmas Party in the first weekend in December and it was fabulous. The staff are very helpful and attentive, our room was lovely, comfortable and spotless and the food was delicious. The views from the hotel are beautiful over the lake (even though the weather wasn't so beautiful!). We would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely return.

We keep coming back, but won't dine again

by TripAdvisor Member py6km

This was our third stay at Storr's Hall, and we do like it very much (and we're fussy). The place is very relaxed, and cosy, and the rooms are clean, tidy and well appointed. As usual, the Eggs Benedict at breakfast makes it worth the stay in itself ! (although more Hollandaise please!)

This time, we decided to eat in the restaurant for dinner one evening, which we've not sampled yet. We won't eat there again. The service was impeccable, and the general ambience was fine - no problems there. It was, however, the food that let everthing down. Let me explain.

Firstly, it is supremely over fussy. I wouldn't generally have a problem with that if the food was good, but it wasn't. Too many garnishes, little sprinkles, shavings etc etc. Simply not needed - simple, fresh local food, well cooked is all that's required.

Flavours and textures were combined which had no business being together on a plate. Also, everything (that I had) was enormously over seasoned. I left a large portion of my main as it was so salty that it masked everything else. I'm not a member of the salt police - this really was something else! The dessert was very good though.

When you remember that this costs £40 per head (+ drinks), you feel as though you have wasted a lot of money, and an evening. As an aside, the hotel go to lengths to remind you when booking the room or the table, that smart attire in the restaurant is required (i.e. no jeans/trainers etc). I hate that sort of thing, but acquiesced. I was however a little fed up to discover that two of the other diners were wearing jeans for dinner. I don't mind that, but why beat people up about their dress for dinner initially, and then let them in scruffy anyway !?

I'm not convinced that it was an 'off' night, but perhaps it was. My wife's food also suffered the same as mine. You'd be better off going out and eating locally (the Tapas bar - Bodega - in Bowness is highly recommended; try the spicy meatballs, but make sure you wash it down with a bottle of cherry Kriek).

As an aside, I note that the breakfast every day of our stay was as good as ever, and did not suffer the same salt drenched fate as the meal we had encountered.

Absolutely great stay

by TripAdvisor Member DanDare42

I went on 29th Feb for a long weekend with my wife. Wonderful in every way. Lovely comfortable huge room. Very friendly staff. Several log fires so great atmosphere. Beautiful grounds and location. This was one of the best. A real find.

Terrific Room and Service

by TripAdvisor Member mtsl2005

You can tell that a lot of effort has taken place during the Hotels restoration work, with excellent resuts.
The walks around the Hotel grounds and the views of the Lake are wonderful.
We had a really great room (No 5) with a terrific bathroom and again wonderful views of the Lake.
The Restaurant staff were very efficient, friendly and a pleasure to deal with.
However, the only down side for us was the food and while not doubting the quality there simply wasn't enough, having read a previous review on Trip Advisor regarding this, I stocked up on the delicious bread rolls that were brought to the table, my wife is not the biggest of eaters but even she was still hungry afterwards
and that included paying an additional extortionate £8 for the very disappointing cheese board.
I can recommend the Sticky Toffee Pudding which was without doubt the best I've ever tasted.

Lovley Hall, overpowering Manager

by TripAdvisor Member topclassservice

I stayed at Storrs after being invited to attend there showcase.We were looked after, had a lovley experience. But after reading reviews have to agree with a certain level of intimidation of staff members. We would like to direct our buisness that way, but under no circumstances will we condone what we witnessed. Without putting the hotel in an awkward position we willl not say what we witnessed, but will address this with the Director direct and withdraw our buisness. But suffice to say the South African Manager should be reminded that apartite ended along time ago.
Such a shame that this lady has made us extremley wary of dealing with ELH.
S