Town End Lane, Swinscoe, Ashbourne, Staffordshire

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

• royston vaysey is real

the dog and partridge is completely bizarre - a parrot (plus signs saying do not touch the parrot or his toys), groups of weirdly looky-likey village men, a bar'maid' way past her prime and clearly not enjoying her job one little bit - particularly the faff of having to get wines from the cellar, open them and find dirty glasses for them, signs on the bar saying 'No children NEAR the bar', and very poor quality food - including for dessert Chocolate Lumpy Pumpy!
    we enjoyed ourselves greatly, but we are league of gentlemen fans, we had safety in numbers and knew we'd never have to go there again!
    looking back, we were lucky to survive...

Unique Quality: hopefully the dog and partridge is unique...

More about The Dog & Partridge Country Inn

FAB FOR DOG WALKERS!!!

by TripAdvisor Member leighsimon

I have stayed here with my girlfriend and her family (including 4 dogs) for the last 3 years. It is a brilliant base to explore the Peak District. The rooms are basic but what do you expect for the money, and somewhere that allows dogs? The service and food is outstanding for a small family run business. Keep up the good work and see you soon!

Clean, Comfortable, Affordable

by TripAdvisor Member NicholaSwallow

I went with three of my friends for an overnight trip to Alton Towers staying over at The Dog and Partridge. We got a really good price for the hotel and had an excellent stay. We shared a room for 4 which was spacious, clean and comfortable, even if the decor was a little dated. We had dinner in the resturant the evening we arrived which we found to be reasonably priced and of a very good standard, we also had a full cooked breakfast the following morning included in the price of our stay which was equally good. The one problem we had was that the water pressure from the shower was very poor so showering took ages. But overall we all had a great stay at this hotel and would definately return.

A dog walkers haven!

by TripAdvisor Member LeicestershireSadie

We have just returned from a fabulous Easter break at The Dog & Partridge, Swinscoe and I can't praise it enough, we had a great time. The owners & staff were very friendly, the food was delicious(the breakfast set us up for the day) and we loved the accommodation.
If you enjoy walking & love taking your dog with you then stay here, it's nice to be able to meet other dog lovers and sit in the bar, with our pets, and swap info about each others walks over a drink. We
met some lovely people (and dogs) and we wouldn't hesitate to book again.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

by TripAdvisor Member dubkat

First impression on pulling up was 'wow'. The main building in lovely. Round the rear of the property to where the rooms were located was an unplesant surprise. It was wooden shacks, really nasty. The decor was a fetching dusky pink and very dated but the room was clean. Also, there was no interior bolt on the door so at night i did not feel secure even though the door did lock upon closing the extra bolt would have added peace of mind. The cold water
flow in the bathroom was not reliable, half way through a shower the cold water stopped leaving piping hot water to pour out directly onto
me, luckily no harm was done but be warned if using the shower to wash children.

The food was nice pub food, well presented (maybe a little too much choice) but very overpriced for the quality of food served. The food was good but no where near as good as the price suggests

Peak Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member Nucleartraveller

Lovely old fashioned Country Inn with addition of motel-style chalets; very friendly reception from mine host, who runs a very well managed establishment. Superb setting and views and ideally situated for walking the Peak District. Pets and children welcome with good play areas outside (join the staff for volley-ball in the afternoon!) and board games galore for when it's raining. Exceptional cuisine, excellent service and fine attention to detail. Comfortable well-equipped rooms if a tad shabby but clean, good supply of towels and first-class shower. Room rate, meals and drinks all at reasonable prices, good value for money.
All in all, to be thoroughly recommended.

Perfect Venue, Food and Service

by TripAdvisor Member Meg1985

How anyone cannot fall in love with this place I do not know! Three friends and I stayed for just a night, yet I wish it had been longer. The food (two set menus, one of which contains only food locally produced and farmed and a la cart) was out of this world and the staff are friendly yet professional. It is set in beautiful countryside and the accomodation is private and of a good standard. Its closeness to Alton towers is an added bonus.

Overall, a brilliant, reasonably priced place to go. I cant praise it enough. Thanks to all the staff there.

Megan Williams

Poor quality

by TripAdvisor Member Dorrick

Just returned from a 2 night stay in a family suite in this Country Inn .
To call the room we stayed in a suite is a complete joke , The room consisted of a double bed , sofa bed and a bunk bed hidden behind a pair of curtains .

The room needed a good clean and money spent on it to even make it a decent double room .

The evening meal was of a poor standard , The only saving grace for this hotel was the breakfast which was ok .

My suggestion is you book into a travel lodge type hotel and save yourself both money and disappointment .

This has to be the worse hotel we have ever stayed in .

Lovely place to stay with children

by TripAdvisor Member Penny12EastSussex

My friend and I stayed in this lovely Country Inn with 6 children between us, as a place to stay whilst visiting Alton Towers, and it was a very good choice! The staff were all charming and long suffering of our noisy brood, and the rooms were great - clean and comfortable and the kids loved the gardens. We had a great stay, and wished we had booked for longer.

Overpriced and disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member Karuzela

This 'hotel' (I would say motel) is hugely overpriced and poor quality.

Having recently stayed in a beautiful bed and breakfast in Wiltshire for £80, my partner thought that this £100 a night hotel would be a real treat for a romantic weekend away.

The room was described as in the grounds of a country inn - more like 1970s pre- fab in a pub car park!

We were led out the back of the hotel after checking inn and most disppointed to see our room was in a wooden chalet style building. The decoration was dated and it smelt like a musty and damp village hall.

We persevered though and ate in the restaurant. The food was OK, although overpriced.

On returning to the room and geting onto bed I began to smell - dogs (I am a dog owner and lover but did not appreciate this in an expensive hotel). I was bitten twice by fleas inn the bed. Spent a miserable night, waking up due to cold and noise from the road outside.
The shower (which was not attached to the wall) produced a mere trickle of water and went cold after a few minutes.
I felt humilated and angry at having to crouch in the bath whilst my partner held the shower head for me.

The breakfast was OK, typical greasy English breakfast. The small pots of marmalade had been left on the table from the previous people and had butter blobs in.

After paying my partners comments were dismissed .

I do not in any way recommend this hotel as a romantic break. I would also be worried to have my children in a room that had fleas in the bed and was damp.

I would say it may be OK if you are looking for accomodation with your dog (this is often hard to find).

Overall, I would say this hotel is over-priced, outdated, and unclean.

They really do have a cheek charging such prices. 2 years ago I stayed in a wonderful, clean and well decorated b&b with an attentive landlady for approx £50. You really can do so much better than the Dog and Partridge.

My partner had saved for a romantic trip away and it was terribly disappointing. We have far superior accomodation in our own home. I wished we had not gone and lost £200 (acc. food and petrol there).

The only good thing I can say is that the South African waiting staff were very attentive and welcoming.

• Jun 9, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Rip off merchants food awful this place needs bulldozing and starting again. Staff couldn't give a monkeys along as they get your money.