The Stuart Hotel

Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 18% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about The Stuart Hotel

Disraceful hotel who actually compromised my safety!

This hotel checked someone into our room while we were STILL IN IT. In fact, a man walked into the room with his own key while I (a woman) was lying on the bed with NO CLOTHES ON.
1. It was extremely embarrassing.
2. We had a lot of expensive camera equipment with us, so that means someone could have just walked in and stolen it if we hadn't been there and I doubt the hotel would have believed us if that had happened when we weren't there.
3. If I had been in there on my own and the man had been drunk or aggressive, I would have been completely unable to defend myself.

That night the duty manager apologised but seemed intent on blaming the receptionist for the mistake as if the fault was not the hotel's, which is just not professional; it's their problem as an establishment. The next day, the second duty manager had a better attitude and assured us they were going to knock something off our bill but said that he couldn't authorise that without speaking to the general manager, who wouldn't be in till later that day and whose mobile was off so he couldn't be contacted at the time. He asked that we just pay the bill as normal and then assured us that the general manager would be in contact when he arrived to rectify the problem.

The general manager didn't call us. When my boyfriend spoke to him 4 days later, he refused to do anything about it or take any money off our bill. He basically said that it was not their problem. So does that mean I would have to have been assaulted before they would have done something or taken responsibility for it?

We were originally willing to overlook lots of things that were wrong:
1. The rooms were teeny (we had booked a superior room, but they put us in a standard room that they initially tried to pass off as a superior room. However, we didn't believe them and challenged them, so they then moved us to a superior room that was much bigger and better).
2. The rooms were BOILING
3. There was no attention to detail - ie one towel for 2 people in the bathroom and one teaspoon on the tea tray, which wasn't changed even after we'd used it and the cleaner had been in.
4. We set a wake up call for one morning, which was subsequently repeated the next morning when we hadn't asked for it, so we were woken up at some ungodly hour for no reason.
5. There is no lift, which is not good enough for a hotel with several floors.

But the whole room debacle was absolutely disgusting and we are going to take this matter further if we can, because at the end of the day it's not right that they can just make a hideous mistake like that (that could have had any number of consequences) and you still have to pay for a service that you're not at all happy with.

It's not a luxury hotel for sure, and doesn't deserve 4 stars. The brochure promises you something so luxurious that it can only be described as "The Stuart Experience"...well, if that's it, I don't want it!!

Absolutely DISGUSTING.

A bit like a ferry........

Poor. Really poor. I booked through Lastminute who demonstrate that their sense of humour is well developed by allowing this hotel to list itself as 4*. It's not a 4* - it's a self appointed 4*. In which case the cupboard under my stairs could be a 4*. The room was way too small, the bed sheets were dirty, the corridors were slightly wider than me (I'm not THAT big) - with bags on my shoulders I was touching both walls at once. We moved rooms to one that was clean at least, but there was no soap in that room. The idea of the weekend was to chill out in a half decent environment - but home would have been a more pleasant place to be. I called Lastminute first thing in the morning and said that the hotel was blatently not a 4* and we were leaving - and I did not want to pay for the second night that we had booked. Fair play to lastminute they obliged and called the hotel on my behalf. We left and went to the Alton Towers hotel for the next night which was a big improvement.

By the way - I've just checked and it's still a 4* on Lastminute.....what are they on? If you believe the 4* thing then please give me a call.......I know a nice cupboard under the stairs you'd like......

A what star hotel?!

We have just come back from our stay at this hotel and felt so strongly about our stay that we had to write a review on it. We chose this hotel for a romantic long weekend away for our 1st wedding anniversary on a late deals website.
If there is a function on at the hotel, do not expect to have an easy time finding a place to park.
Both rooms we stayed in were of reasonable size. The first room we stayed in had 2 huge stains on the carpet (the carpet did look like it had been there since the 1970s), a safety deposit box that did not work and bed linen that was ripped and frayed. The skirting boards and lower part of the walls in our room and the corridors were scuffed and grazed. We moved rooms the second night because the pay TV was not working in our room, we then found out it was the whole hotel that had the problem, this lasted for over 36 hours, and still was not fixed by the time we left. The hotel also advertised they had satellite TV, this consisted of sky news & BBC news 24, neither of these worked for any of our stay.
The second room was not so bad however they still tucked the duvet cover under the mattress to hide the fact that it was all ripped and frayed. The location of the hotel is not great either (well unless you are in an accident), the hotel is right opposite the hospital and the rooms are so hot (even though the radiators are not on) that you need to keep the windows open so you hear sirens and traffic all night. We found the source of the heat was coming from the bathroom, so we kept the door shut, but every morning after housekeeping had been in, the door was open when we returned and we back to square one. We did not think we could be bothered to leave a note asking them to keep the door shut as they did not even realise that we had run out of free complimentary toiletries. There were no clues in the rooms to say that this was a 4* hotel, you were only given a packet of biscuits containing 2 biscuits to share between two of you, and were only supplied with 1 teaspoon, I don’t think they had a dishwasher as they did not supply a glass in the room, so you had to use the little cups unless you took a trip down to the bar and asked for 2 glasses, for fear they would charge you a room service fee if you asked for them to bring them up.
The staff were fine when we were spending money but when we complained to them or even explained a situation they were arrogant and their attitude was that they did not care. At checking out time they tried to charge us for the pay TV that did not work and the normal price of the room rather than the discounted rate that was stated on the website, thankfully we took all the booking confirmation details with us as they would have charged the standard price.

I would recommend this hotel to invading aliens as once they stay at this hotel they would never visit earth again.

Great Hotel and service!!

We stayed for a family weekend break at The Stuart and what a weekend we had!!
The food was great, the rooms were quite small but the service was outstanding.
Although there seemed to be a problem with the water and heating, the Duty manger went out of his way to rectify this for us, and even came to our room and personally apologised, that sort of service seems to be unique these days.
Thanks again for a great weekend!!

Not a 4 star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member bassing-jersey

Having stayed at a number of 4 star hotels across the world this must be one of the poorest, perhaps I should have read the other reviews before staying there.

Although ideally situated for the centre of Derby, I would suggest there are better.

Our room was small and like other reviewers suffered from only having one bath towel to share. The room was boiling and despite turning off the heating made very little difference.

The bedside cabinet surface was chipped and the hotel was begining to look shabby. Dirty glasses and cups where left in the bar area for a number of hours.

Not a good experience

Not quite 4* but still very nice

by TripAdvisor Member Helen2505

Describes itself as a 'self rated 4*' ...and they're been a little generous. Not a 4* hotel but definately 3 star standard - hotel exterior looks stylish, the rooms are clean, very well presented and facilities good. No complaints about size or room temperature and location of the hospital opposite caused no disturbance. Additionally the hotel restaurant is excellent and overall it was a very enjoyable stay.

What a dump

I agree with comments else where that this is not a four star hotel in any known grading system. The only time you will see **** is to hide an expletive. The rooms are a shabby disaster.nothing worked as it should. We made the mistake of eating in the restaurant DO NOT DO THIS. There are many local eateries and they were busy.If you like ethnic food you'll be alright.also ok pubs. Hotel bar has the atmosphere of the moon and costs as much as you would imagine a bar on the moon to.
Massivly over promoted in Lastminute and too expensive by miles even at the discounted price. I jest you not when I say this is a thinly disguised doss house not worty of one star.

dont go!!

well i looked at this site before i booked. people said it wasnt that good and had look at others around and found that this actually looked the best around which was a shame. So we booked in and got to our room, which was an executive room and it was small and meant to have bathrobes and free bottles of water which were not in the room. So when i went to reception to ask about it the man explained that he would sort it but the receptionist was in the back room being interviewed by police about an incident in the hotel earlier. So that made me think i really dont want to stay anymore. Then popped out for a while and in the time they had only brought in our water to the room. So i just left it then bit later put do not disturb on door and then a knock which i had to open as i thought they may come in and there were the bathrobes which to be honest i didnt think i was getting. Could the guy not read wot was on the door!!
During the night all i could here was the boiler or some kind of machine in the cupboard next door to ours which made me not get much sleep. from the people i spoke to in Derby they were not very kind and didnt have very good customer service skills.
all in all i wont go back and dont really want to go back to Derby.

Good stay at The StuartHotel

by TripAdvisor Member Hel's.c

I stayed here with my partner and another couple for a place to stay after our trip to Alton Towers we paid £59 room only.
After reading the reviews i was concerned and didnt really want to stay! We stayed in a superior double (next up from standard) and it was fine! Very clean and nicely decorated. The staff were lovely, the bar and restaurant was nice too, we ate and drank there and although abit pricey was really nice! I would rate this an above average hotel very modern clean! The rooms are alittle small and hot but nothing to complain about! If you want to book a special occasion then maybe look elsewhere but for what i wanted this hotel was perfect! I would def return!!!

Definately not a 4 star!!

by TripAdvisor Member quixotic_spider

This hotel was advertised as a 4 star hotel on last minute.com (beware -their ratings are often incorrect!!) but it certainly wasn't when I got there. I booked an executive suite and was originally given a standard room which looked like it hadnt been cleaned as there were dirty tissues in the bathroom!! I then complained and they decided to give me an executive room (a hassle even though my booking confirmed this!!). My partner and I were given a room with two single beds which was again very disappointing. After complaining again, we were eventually given a room which was we had originally booked. The room was actually ok, quite spacious and comfortable. The interior of the hotel was quite hazardous as they were having some work done and it was like walking around a building site!! I wouldnt recomment this hotel unless you get deperate as the service is very very bad!! The rooms are actually ok, but service is just as important.

Comments