Windy Harbour Farm Hotel

Bunsch's Profile Photo

Congenial and comfortable

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 23, 2014

My travel companion and I had planned a three-night stay at Windy Harbour, but had booked the odd room (described by other VT writers) with two single beds. It probably would have been acceptable for one person -- I was particularly taken with the deep window embrasure overlooking a pasture with a curious horse resident, and a comfortable chair to enjoy the view -- but it was impossible for two ladies' equipage. My friend decamped to stay with her relatives, at which point the hostess offered me a much more commodious room at the front of the hotel. No convenient horses on that side, alas, but an exceptionally comfortable double bed and large en suite bath with fancy shower more than made up for the loss.

My breakfasts were lovely. There is cereal, yogurt, and fruit available, but a cooked breakfast (including "full English" with tomato, mushrooms, etc.) was offered daily. We also had a festive dinner (Windy Harbour operates a full-service bar and restaurant as well as the B&B) with outstanding baby lamb chops (which may well have come from Derbyshire lambs, all much in evidence in the fields). Our resident guide told us that the Windy Harbour chips are justly famous, so of course we had to substantiate the claim!

Unique Quality: There are llamas in a field adjacent to the parking for caravans, but they were shy creatures and never came close to us. There is some road noise if you happen to have a room at the front of the hotel, but it isn't disruptive. A lovely garden surrounds the main building, and the resident dog is happy to allow petting.

They also offer clay pigeon shooting, but I didn't take advantage of this!

Directions: About 3 km from the center of town.

Nearby Windy Harbour Farm Hotel

Amenities at Windy Harbour Farm Hotel

• Restaurant
  • Free Parking
  • Pets Allowed

Glossop Travel Forum

Need advice about Glossop, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Glossop and ask our Answer Gurus.

Glossop Travel Guide