New Bath Hotel

New Bath Rd, Matlock Bath, Derbyshire, DE4 3PX, United Kingdom

More about New Bath Hotel

Give the New Bath a chance!

by TripAdvisor Member JKlassic

Of the five hotels we stayed in during our two-week trip to England, the New Bath Hotel was my favorite. Granted, it’s a 20-minute hike from the train station, but this hike is a great way to get a quick orientation to the quaint little village of Matlock Bath. Stay on the main street and the hotel is up the hill from the village.

Our room at the New Bath was one of the most spacious rooms I’ve ever stayed in, complete with a loveseat and coffee table. The in-room tea/coffee service was very nice, complete with a ceramic teapot to hold the water you’ve just heated in the provided electric kettle. Our room even had current magazines (Reader’s Digest and Marie Claire) sitting on the table for us to read. Considering the prices we paid for hotel rooms in London on this trip, I thought this room was a real deal at 80 pounds (US $160) a night.

The included full English breakfast was excellent and the wait staff was very friendly, especially Gladys. At the New Bath, a full English breakfast includes a fried egg, bacon (English bacon is more like ham), sausage, a cooked tomato, sautéed mushrooms, toast, and tea or coffee. If you’re a coffee snob like me, you’ll particularly enjoy the French press coffee. There is also a continental breakfast buffet.

Be sure to check out the plunge pool in the basement of the hotel just off of the lobby. We used it nightly and found the warm water very relaxing; there are also sauna facilities in this area. Although we never used it, be sure to check out the large outdoor pool and beautiful garden area surrounding the hotel. There is also a very nice bar and lounge area just off the hotel lobby. We never used it, but it appeared to be very popular with guests.

The cons: if this hotel has a lift (elevator), we never saw it. We hauled our luggage up several small flights of stairs and down long hallways to finally get to our room. Also, the front desk staff could have been a little friendlier and helpful – it didn’t seem like they ever wanted to volunteer any more information than they had to.

Nothing wrong with it!

by TripAdvisor Member JammyLeicestershire

I must admit I was cautious about our impending stay at the New Bath Hotel after reading all the negative reviews but it was absolutely fine! We had a twin room which was spacious and clean. We both commented on the wider than average single beds and how comfy they were! The only down side was the shower curtain was mouldy in places and when you can get a brand new one for around £6 these days, that was a bit unnecessary and spoilt the overall effect of what was really quite a nice room.
The location for Matlock Bath and surrounding area is great and it was easy to find and check in went smoothly, as did check out. We didnt have much to do with staff to be fair as we were quite self sufficient. However breakfast time was manic as the hotel was full and we had to wait 20 minutes to get a table in the restaurant. Then it seemed that all the staff were too busy clearing and re-setting other tables to actually serve us! Still, once we grumbled a couple of times, we did get a lovely breakfast and I did notice that it was just us who had to wait - everyone else seemed fine so maybe it was just unfortunate in such busy circumstances. I would stay there again but I agree that £130 for one night is a bit steep when I have stayed in more luxury for that price. Overall, not bad though.

avoid at all costs

by TripAdvisor Member pbmdmb

I have read several reviews claiming that this hotel is tired, dated and in need of refurbishment. I could not disagree more. It does not need refurbishing. It needs bulldozing to the ground.
It took me approximately 10 minutes after checking in to decide I wouldn't be staying here. It had the smell and overall ambience of an old people's home and Lord knows what was growing on the floor of the outdoor swimming pool. I didn't like to look too closely.
I'll give the staff some credit for not protesting too much when I asked for a refund. I expect they're getting quite used to such requests. Although even this procedure revealed the administration to be as shabby as the hotel itself. I had booked online at a rate of £80 but when I finally wrestled the cardholder's copy of the receipt away from the receptionist I noticed they were planning to charge me £100. Full rate here is £130. Quite seriously, I would not stay here if you paid me £130. You have been warned!

Would not recommend

by TripAdvisor Member reviewer2216

We stayed in the hotel after seeing an offer on a website £140 DBB. The hotel is run down and the room we stayed in was like a Chalet at the end of an extension. The Dinner was disgusting -if you like watered down tomato ketchup witha few springs of Basil thrown in you will love their tomato and basil soup. I had one mouthful of soup only!! Likewise I am convinced that the steak was not steak - and even english mustard could not hide the taste - I ate the cafe like chips and left the meat. The sauna was ok. We could not wait to leave - a bitter disappointment to the end of our holiday.

Don't be fooled by the brochure.....

by TripAdvisor Member nonombre

If you like the look of this Hotel from the description & the pictures, think again. Your expectations may well not be met. If you have booked something on the web before & been disappointed you will know the feeling, steer well clear of this one...

It is a bit like Dante's Inferno. From the sweeping drive, the elegant facade, through the well kept reception, past the business facilities, it degrades in stages, culminating in a dilapidated set of terrapins masquerading as accommodation appended to the rear of the main building.

Whilst the original part of the hotel could do with a significant refresh, i.e. the white paint restored from its current faded magnolia appearance, the rear appendage simply no longer has any, what it did have is either on the floor or hidden by stains & dirt.

The room was only marginally better. However, this opinion only lasted a short time until my other half pointed out the large cobweb hanging down from the ceiling, the general dust, the damaged walls, ill fitting (& insecure) door & the teapot with no lid! However the piece de resistance was the bed, which was a mattress so cheap & lumpy that 2 days later we are still recovering from the back pain it induced.

I could go on endlessly about the shoddiness of this place. All I can say is that if you don't believe me, go have a look. I have seen student halls that put this rip off to shame. Avoid.

excellent murder mystery weekend

by TripAdvisor Member joannegill67

With some trepidation we booked this murder mystery weekend with superbreaks. This was the first time my husband and i had tried anything as organised as this but thought we would give it a go. The hotel was nice you could see that in its time it would have been great but the bedrooms are definately tired looking. However the staff and food made up for this and the hotel lobby and bar have a friendly traditional ambiance. The murder mystery part of the weekend was well organised and surprisingly fun. This is not a weekend for the young more the "young at heart" and not terribly interesting for children but if you fancy something a bit different and you willing to join in and not take it too seriously i would recommend not only this hotel but also the murder!

Shambles

by TripAdvisor Member tango23

I have just spent the xmas period in the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, the hotel needs a complete make over its decor is terrible,
dirty wallpaper, they should get a decent chef and manager, the meals
where more often cold than hot and the vegatbles where under cooked, duck I had at one dinner was as tough as old boots I couldn't even cut it that alone chew it.

There was mould on parts of the bathroom but the shower was very good, the bedroom was to hot at night even with the radiator of and very dark which made it very hard for us ladies to see to put our makeup on, most hotels usualy have a light over the mirrow on the dressing table. the waitresses done there best but where running round
like headless chickens most meal times and not knowing what dinner was for whom.

I and several people where having to wait over half an hour for the main meal after the first course had been eaten and came up cold. I would not recomend this hotel to my worst enemy.

Appaling hotel, I would not stay here again if they paid me

by TripAdvisor Member Sarlor

We went to this hotel for new years eve for the celebrations with a group of 10 friends.
Where to start. The night was supposed to be gala evening of good food, entertainment and dancing and bringing in the new year with a bang.
The food was overcooked and served cold, some of the party had parts of the meal missing, service was generally poor, for deseert some people had a tart with a pastry case they couldn't even break never mind eat.
During dinner the DJ played elevator type music which was so depressing we had to ask the restaurant manager to change it. The live 'entertainment' consited of a duo singing songs that you are only like to know if you are over 80, and I use the phrase sing lightly as they would have qualified for x factor worst audition they were that bad. Again, we asked for them to be stopped. The DJ after was no better, talk about nice earner for him, he didn't do anything all night but play dated compiliations. At one point we considered leaving and going to one of the pubs in Matlock to bring in the new year.
The next morning what we wanted was a nice cooked breakfast and guess what....it was cold.
I could go on and on with examples of how bad this hotel was. I would not recommend it at all which is a shame as it is in a nice spot and a nice old buidling.

Good Times

by TripAdvisor Member BenT975

A great hotel which was well designed and very clean. The staff were not only very helpful but seemed genuinely happy to be around and working at the hotel.

Romantic Breaks!

by pks07

Hi Guys!

I am after abit of help!
I want to take my boyfriend away for a short break one or two nights. I am looking to take him somewhere with breathtaking views, but somewhere that doesn't break the bank! (as we are getting married next yr)

I have racked my brains, and looked all over the net, but have found nothing, around the midlands/London area!

Any ideas would be greatly received!
x

by meltyan

isle of wright is nice... and if u want a more "breathtaking" view.. if u dont mind travel right to the end of britain.. "land's end".. i assure u it's really breathtaking.. really.. ;)

by meltyan

well.. there you go.. someone from local always has better ideas..

by martinbristol

Hi,

The Cotswolds are a fantastic area of pretty villages and beautiful scenery. The north eastern edge are close to both London and the Midlands.

Best wishes,
Martin

by julia687

How about the Peak District? The views are amazing and its easy to get to. Superbreak do some good offers. We stayed at the New Bath Hotel which is in Matlock bath and I cant believe that its a 3* hotel everything is really nice - and I've stayed in a lot of hotels!

by chrisisclub

The Peak District is lovely!

New Bath Hotel (Matlock Bath) is quite nice (recently change ownership group - improved in my opinion). Matlock Bath is about 20 minutes walk from Matlock - albeit with train service also. Matlock Bath is quite touristy - with the cable car and various attractions.

Alternatively you could try the Palace Hotel in Buxton - or the LeaWood - also in Buxton.. both very nice (Palace = very grand indeed!) LeaWood serves very nice meals in a very large conservatory.

pm me if you opt for the Peak District and find a hotel - and want some info - as a local I may well know it

by youthgroup

Have you thought of the Cotswolds look at Bourghton on the Water and Upper and Lower Slaughter. It's beautiful and you can easily walk to all three if you wish. We were driving from Grasmere to Sussex and made a detour and stopped there for one night in June. We adored it One night would be fine. We stayed at a hotel called Washbourne hotel in Lower Slaughter. We did notice a B&B there. Good luck I think it's worth the extra for just one night of luxury. just think how much you are saving by not staying somewhere for two. we mostly stay in 2 stars but gave ourselves a treat.

Comments