Sandquay Rd, Dartmouth, Devon, TQ6 9PH, United Kingdom

Dart Marina Hotel and Spa
Booking.com Priceline.com

• An exceptional hotel experience

An exceptional hotel experience and a great place with its own marina, situated in the beautiful location of Dartmouth. I had such a lovely stay with them from ‘check-in’ to ‘check-out’ that I felt compelled to write a review and share my experience. When I arrived, I was offered a complimentary drink and happier still that they had extra availability and upgraded me to a ‘luxury’ room. I just love it when that happens. My room was very clean, with fresh flowers in the vase by the windows that looked out over the River Dart and the Devon landscape. The binoculars supplied in the room to take in the view and a complimentary gift bag of Devon fudge all made for a setting that was comfortably contemporary and welcoming. The Spa facilities and treatments available were comprehensive: gym, treatment rooms, jacuzzi, steam room and a swimming pool that generated a water current to swim against, allowing you to achieve a good ‘workout’ in a relatively moderate sized pool area. I loved the pool, but didn’t have time to sample the menu of treatments. Nor did I eat in the main restaurant. Instead I met with friends in the hotel’s informal bistro called ‘Wildfire’ and it was the little things that made all the difference to the evening like staff opening doors for you and receiving a genuine warm welcome. With a menu of fresh locally sourced dishes, even the bread rolls were outstanding - absolutely delicious and all homemade by the resident chef. We all agreed on how good the food had been and couldn’t resist having an expertly mixed cocktail. So big smiles all round our table before we left the Bistro and a memorable evening in a fabulous setting.

Unique Quality: I had breakfast in my room next day: perfectly cooked and all delivered to my room piping hot and on time. I would definitely recommend the Dart Marina Hotel & Spa. Whilst the setting was outstanding, and the quality levels throughout the hotel were all very high, it was most definitely the people, the service and the uncompromising attention to detail that made this place really stand out from all of the rest. I’ll definitely be back.

Directions: If you head towards the ferry boat that runs from Kingswear to Dartmouth (6 minute crossing) Dart Marina Hotel and Spa is situated on the banks of the river to the right of the ferry crossing

More about Dart Marina Hotel

Stylish, frinedly and location to die for!

by TripAdvisor Member Erica055

Great hotel, fantastic location and lots to do in the area. If you love river views from your bed, a choice of excellent bistros within walking distance and some good shops, this is a great place for a long week end.Hotel has undergone a total refurb and is now one of the few stylish, contemporary places by the sea that I could find. Not a frill, flounce or four poster in sight. Service friendly and helpful; we had a full English breakfast served in our bedroom watching the boats go bobbing by. Excellent food in the formal restaurant and modern bistro. Book early and eat outside! Pricey but compared to other fussy, old fashioned places it was worth the treat.

stylish hotel with a warm welcoming

by TripAdvisor Member hackbridge

Me and my wife stayed at the dart marina for 3 nights between may 31st until june 3rd, on arrival at the hotel car park we were met by a porter called john who welcomed us to the hotel and took our bags into reception, there we were booked in quickly and told of where to find things around the hotel i.e. bar, dining room, the spa, while being told this john the porter took our bags to our room, our room was wonderful and stylish with a contemporary feel to it, the bathroom was pure white with modern chrome fittings - and a absolute wonderful power shower, the view from our window like every room in the hotel overlooked the marina with excellent views of dartmouth, a very big comfy bed with crisp white sheets, mini bar,sky t.v.
dining is fantastic whether in the restaurant or the bistro,excellent choice of fresh produce and local fish along with an excellent wine list,also afternoon tea in devon would'nt be the same without a cream tea and at the dart marina you will not be disappointed, fresh scones with thick clotted cream yummy!
my wife used the hotel spa which i recommend you book in advance as we did, the spa was excellent with very professional
staff who gave advice to my wife before her treatment,also there is a pool and steam room,
in all our stay at the dart marina was wonderful and would recommend to anyone wanting total relaxation it is in a ideal location in a lovely part of devon.

Excellent - Dart Marina

by TripAdvisor Member RajUKLondon

I spent two nights at the Dart Marina in May 2007. We had a fantastic time. The setting is fantastic right next to the marina. A bit like being in the south of france.

Our room was excellent with all the mod cons and a great view ( I think the rooms have all been done out recently). We had dinner one night at the bistro which was pretty good.

All in all a great place.

On they way home we stopped at a lovelbeach called blackpool sands which is 30mins drive away.

Were definitely going back!

Raj

A perfect luxury break in Devon

by TripAdvisor Member Langdown

What a perfect place to stay in Dartmouth Devon. If you are looking for a quiet break out of high season this will be just up your street. We booked a special mid-week dinner, bed and breakfast, they included a complimentary upgrade to a superior room with champagne and strawberries just perfect!! All rooms have views over the marina and river you could sit all day and enjoy the scenery.

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. We enjoyed our evening meal and breakfast in the River Restaurant, food was delicious and service faultless. Wine list excellent & affordable.

The hotel has now been fully refurbished, our room was lovely and the main lounge/bar/reception area decor is very comfortable and relaxing.

As the weather was against us we made full use of the hotel spa, pool and jacuzzi which is next door. We also enjoyed a ten minute stroll along the riverfront into Dartmouth town, this is very flat and an easy walk.
It's a pity the weather prevented us using the outside patio areas of the hotel it would have been nice to sit and soak up the sun and watch the boats go by!!

This break was everything the hotel web site said it would be.
We would definately stay here again on our return to Devon.

pampered from start to finish

by TripAdvisor Member mlyn

As soon as we drew up, a porter was by the car with a trolley and he transferred the luggage to our room whilst we were booking in (and sipping our welcome glass of wine). We peeked into the restaurant and a member of staff asked if we had made a booking for the evening and gave us a menu to peruse in our room. The bedroom itself was beautiful- chic and spacious with double doors opening out to a French balcony. The bathroom was newly fitted and had a large bath and powerful shower. Everything was there to make us comfortable - a CD/DVD player, TV with extra channels, and a large mini bar (where we put our own wine supply) The milk and bottled water are complimentary, as are the biscuits and full array of hot drinks on the hospitality tray. There was also a table and chairs, with a selection of magazines, vase of flowers and complimentary packet of fudge. We were lucky with the weather and glad of the room’s air conditioning. The food in the evening was worthy of a top class restaurant, beautifully presented and served quickly. All the staff were friendly and helpful, giving advice on places to visit and taking a genuine interest in our conversation. I have to say that during our three day stay, we were pampered from start to finish and this hotel exceeded our expectations in every way.

Regatta week perfection

by TripAdvisor Member RM3110

Just completed a brief 3 night stay at the Dart Marina during Regatta week and am already contemplating the next booking. Yes, it wasnt cheap - you can hardly expect it to be during Regatta week - but it was excellent quality all round. The staff were exceptionally courteous, well trained, and had a serious understanding of customer service. That we assumed came from the MD who was very visible and present in the hotel, leading by example, including picking up the odd bit of discarded litter we noticed on one occasion. The rooms appear reasonably recently refurbished and whilst ours was not huge ( not helped by a teenage child in it as well! ) the view over the River and the marina compensated for that if it was needed. Plus, when you've got Dartmouth 2 minutes walk away, or a super lounge and restaurarant downstairs, why would you want to stay in the room at all. The arrival of the RAF Red Arrows display team ( the hotel sponsors them in the Regatta ) after their display for a brief reception was just another highlight of a great visit.

Expensive but nice

by TripAdvisor Member DerbyshireJones

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Dart Marina, we arrived in the evening and the hotel looked welcoming as we crossed the River Dart on the Higher Ferry. Car parking was good and the reception were very friendly, even offering us a welcome drink. Easy check in and no porter around so straight to the room. The rooms have certainly been done out very nicely, I had gone to great lengths to ensure we had a contemporary room after reading some of the reviews and the quotes about the old part of the hotel and the new. Although the rooms were very nicely furnished, it must be noted that they are small in comparison to other hotels charging these rates. We used the adjacent spa which was very very nice, my only comment of negativity would be that the changing facilities were mixed, not ideal for everyone, plus there are no showers in the changing rooms, only in the disabled toilet. However everything else about the spa was very nice, the gym also being well equipped. We only ate in the hotel for breakfast, this was also good, again some of the reviews i had read had made me wary about this, but we found the food lovely. Tables were very close together so sometimes felt obliged to make conversation with the table next to you. Our favourite part of the hotel was the wildfire bistro next door, the food and service in there was excellent, we were late arrivals on the first night and it was disappointing that food is not served after 8.45pm though! We were also told that the food and drink purchased at the floating bridge inn next door could also be charged to the room, we had a pleasant lunch there only to be told we would have to pay for it as they are not connected to the Hotel, so all a little confusing! Overall we really enjoyed our stay but the hotel room rates are far too expensive 245 for a superior room, we did negotiate a better rate and I am glad we did!

No booking

by TripAdvisor Member Barloo

After a couple of e-mails back and forth with this hotel I decided to make a booking. I heard nothing so called them to be told that they did not have my booking and no availability for the dates I wanted.

Very disillusioned with what is meant to be a quality establishment that I picked on the strength of its rating on Trip advisor.

Dartmouth, exceptionally beautiful old Enlish port

by Lionman

"Dartmouth, ancient sea port"

By far the best classic history of Dartmouth, from the stone age to the present is by Ray Freeman, published locally by Richard Web and available through Amazon, called "Dartmouth and its neighbors - A history of the port and its people".

Always the home of the Royal Naval College, this is an ancient seaport that has always played a key role in British Maritime History. The old town has buildings and streets that date back to 1380, before the days of Shakespeare and it's cobbled streets an pubs have played host to the crews of Sir Frances Drake, Sir Walter Raleigh and the Mayflower and Speedwell on their penultimate stop before the Mayflower left Plymouth for the New World. The cannons of Bayard's Cove and Dartmouth Castle provided defense against both the Spaniards and the French in times past, while in World War 2 the harbor, the river Dart and the surrounding farmland and hills, played host to the American troops and landing craft, forming for the Normandy invasion on D Day.

"An Ideal Holiday Destination"

For the civilised traveler with a sense of History, old Dartmouth has it all.

The annual Royal Regatta since 1880, the magnificent Royal Naval College on the hillside overlooking the town, Dartmouth Castle at the estuary entrance, the beautiful quayside with its Palm trees (as Devon is one of our warmest southern counties) and floating pontoon, facing the many hundreds of private yachts moored on the Kingsbridge side of the harbour, the Resnova floating resturant (whose food and service are excellent) the 1930's steam railway to Paignton & Torquay with its station on the Kingswear side, the "Boat Float" enclosed Marina for small boats right in town overlooked by the 4 star Royal Hotel with its lovely bars, the charming Park Gardens with their bandstand and summer musicians and the magnificent Dart Marina Hotel at the Chain Ferry end of town. Then there is the ancient Butterwalk with its slanted floors and columns, some 12 small art galleries and 28 different places to eat with everything from excellent fish & chip shops to some very fine restaurants indeed (Anzac Street Bistro) at least one of them (The New Angel) Michelin starred.

The tiny Foss street shopping centre is like a yachtie's paradise designed by Dickens and has a charming mixture of fashionable shops, galleries and an exceptional "chef's shop", while the quadrangular enclosed "old market" behind Foss street hosts an excellent weekly Farmer's Market in which every kind of fresh vegetable, local meat and freshly caught fish can be bought.

In the main street there is also one of the finest butchers shops I have seen anywhere and in the Butterwalk an off-license with a huge & stunning collection of rare Single Malt Whiskies, wines and (Americans please note) a wide range of the best Cuban cigars. There are also three excellent chandlers in town where virtually any kind of yaching gear can be bought (Musto, Henry Lloyd, Gill, Gul etc.) and a small emporium called "Gadgets for Gentlemen" full of everything bright, shiny and intricate that a well-heeled magpie could desire. Finally the Flavel Centre provides weekly theatre, cinema, and an excellent cafe, library and internet access. But there is no computer shop in town.

I like the place so much that I have retired there and now live right in the centre of the oldest part of town.

"A Place of Tall Ships"

Dartmouth harbour is in constant mo0tion from dawn till dusk and has been a favourite anchorage for "Tall Ships" and square riggers since the days of Elizabeth 1st, the tradition being continued in the present by sail training ships and modern square riggers like the one in the picture. My bedroom faces east and I am woken by the morning sun and the cries of gulls, often to see the tall masts of an old square rigger that has arrived in the dawn hours in the harbor below.

Dartmouth somehow envessels all that is civilised and British in one small sea town, nestling in a softer variant of a Norwegian style Fjord, yet unmistakeably English. Chaucer called it "Dirtymouth" in his "Shipman's Tale" in the "Canterbury Tales".

Should you visit I recommend the local museum at the end of the Butterwalk.
I also recommend my local pub, "The Cherub" for the finest Guinness in town in one of the most delightful low-ceilinged old English seaport bars you will find in these islands. Ask for Laurie, Tony, Christoph or Dan and say "Ian sent you!" (Christoph will sell you a £1 copy of his local humorous newsletter "The Dirtymouth News") Or you could go to the 7 Stars in Smith Street, tell the owner Helen or the bar manager Scott that I sent you and enjoy a game of pool and an excellent Juke Box. Or you could just sit on the quay and watch the endlessly fascinating business of a small working harbour.

This really is old England at its most elegant and civilised finest.

Comments