Sandygate, Exeter, EX2 7LJ, United Kingdom
Booking.com Priceline.com eDreams

More about Exeter

Everything At Once!Everything At Once!

Burger Van (on a quiet rainy day)Burger Van (on a quiet rainy day)

Traces of paint...............Traces of paint...............

Snow at behind of my home. Not really heavy snowSnow at behind of my home. Not really heavy snow

Recommendation: prepaid sim cards and broadband access?

Hello.

I am going to stay in Exeter for about 3-4 months and therefore I am looking for a cheap possibility to stay in contact with my friends and to call people in the UK. I think a prepaid-SIM suits my needs. Can anyone recommend a good provider or has experience with Nomi or TalkMobile?

Furthermore I need internet access (most probably mobile broadband) and I would be glad for any suggestions.

Thanks and regards,
homunculus

by taurean_traveller

Regarding phones,a simple way is to go to any large supermarket,eg Tesco and buy one of their really cheap phones approx £10 and buy credit for £10 and with some offers they double this.
My daughter did this while she stayed for a couple of months and it was ideal paid £10 credit and got £30

by johngayton

Yes a cheap pay-as-you-go phone might be your solution. As to internet connection I have a mobile broadband connection with O2 which gives good coverage around Exeter (I also use their mobile phone network) - I think they offer a pay-as-you-go package for this as well.

by johngayton

PS My O2 mobile broadband also gives free unlimited WiFi acccess to BT Openzone and The Cloud network.

@taurean_traveller:
Sounds like a good deal, but do I really need to buy a phone or just the Tesco PAYG Sim and activate it? I searched their shop, but I can't see if they already include a Sim with their phones.

@johngayton:
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I can't their PAYG tariffs as they block all non-UK IPs to their shop.

by taurean_traveller

I understand from my daughter that you can buy a Tesco sim card and put it in your phone as long as it's not locked to a supplier

Thanks. :-)

Travel Tips for Exeter

Hickory-dickory............

by leics

In the northern tower of the cathedral, under the clock, there is a very old and tiny door. In the very old and tiny door there is an even tinier circular hole. Why?

Apparently, the bell rope hung there, its end greased with wax. Mice liked the wax. They ran about in the cathedral and the monks did not enjoy walking over them when they rse for early-morning prayers. So it was decided that there should be a cathedral cat, and the cat needed a hole so it could get at the mice who ate the wax.............

This is supposed to be the origin of the nursery rhyme 'Hickory, dickory dock, the mouse ran up the clock............' . It might be; it's a good story anyway!

The Cathedral and Close

by kooka3

Go check this out. I know that you can hardly turn around in England without tripping over a cathedral or church, but some are worth seeing. This is one of them. This is really the center of town in a lot of ways. It's definitely a social area - people hang out on the close and in the areas around the church all the time. The church itself is right in the middle of town, and the architecture is worth checking out. It amazes me that these buildings were built so long ago -- and they are so much prettier than anything we have today made with modern technology AND they have lasted so long!

HISTORIC

by cazz38

Powderham castle is the historic home to the Earl of Devon.Its a medieval fortress set in acres of deer park.You can go on guided tours of the magnificent state rooms.We loved the ghost storys and the secret doors.

Comments