6 Capstone Crescent, Ilfracombe, EX34 9BT, United Kingdom

Expedia.com Hotels.com Venere.com

• planxty's Profile Photo

A perfectly pleasant place to stay.

Just to clear up a little confusion at the outset here. You may see this place advertised as a Bed and Breakfast or as a hotel, it is all the same place and a very pleasant place it is too.

I had booked in here as I had an early start the next morning to get the ferry to Lundy and didn't fancy risking public transport from nearby Barnstaple to make the connection. I had booked through an online agency called Laterooms which I get consistently good results from and do recommend.

I have mentioned many times on other pages here on VT that I do not really require a whole lot from accommodation. for me it is really only a place to sleep, have a shower / bath and that is about it as the rest of my time is spent out and about exploring. Give me a comfy bed in a clean room, warm water and I am a happy man. OK, I am not high maintainance! I have to say the Avalon delivered absolutely albeit that I probably spent a total of about eight hours there, most of it asleep. In truth, I had a wonderful nights sleep.

checking in was a bit of an unusual afair really. I arived at the premises to find a note on the door with my name on it asking me to go and speak to the lady at number whatever across the road which I duly did. She was charming and told me that the proprieters had gone out and had asked her to look out for me. she invited me in (I declined, not wishing to invade the ladies space) and promised that the proprieter would be round immediately, then disappeared to make the necessary telphone call. I went to wait by the door and in very short order was joined by a charming gentleman who admitted me and showed me to my room (pictured) which was to the front on the ground floor. From the layout and position I suspect it was not designed as a bedroom but rather a living / drawing room in what appears to have been originally a dwelling but it was none the less comfy for that. The fact that it was facing the street was no problem at all as there was absolutely no road noise at night.

All the usual facilities were there, ensuite (shower only), tea and coffee making facilities, TV, just what you would expect. I had been given single occupancy of a twin room at no additonal charge which pleases me as I always trael solo. I quickly dumped my back, had a quick wash and brush-up and took off into the Ilfracombe night. On the way out I paused briefly for a quick look round the front hallway which was charming with a mix of modern chairs and a delightful old dresser all against a bakground of some pleasant prints on the walls. It really did feel very homely.

Returning (much) later that evening, I was fairly tired and retired gratefully to bed which was very comfortable. OK, I am a tall man, 6'5" (194 cm. I believe) and I did extend a little beyond the end of the single but I am well used to that and people in the hospitality trade cannot be expected to deal specifically for beanpoles like me! I slept like a log.

Rising the next morning, I was prepard for the next test of a good B&B, namely would there be enough hot water at a time when many people were having showers. I know from hard experience that the plumbing systems of many old buildings such as this can struggle with early morning demand. No, not a problem, and the test passed with flying colours. Duly showered, I packed up and headed out, depositing my key on the way. Breakfast was included in my tariff but it is not a meal I normally partake of and had informed the proprieter of this to avoid him preparing too much food. I set off towards the ferry to Lundy well-rested, well showered and ready to face my next little adventure.

I have no hesitation in recommending this place and again, apologies for the quality of the images due to camera problems.

Unique Quality: There is nothing unique about Avalon, it is almost stereotypically a seaside B&B. It is, however, a very pleasant example of the type and, believe me, I have stayed in some that are not.

Comments