Wentworth House

2 Belmont Road, Ilfracombe, EX34 8DR, United Kingdom

Wentworth House
Expedia.com Hotels.com AMOMA.com

• planxty's Profile Photo

A very fine establishment.

I had just returned form a wonderful few days on Lundy in the company of the wodnerful John Gayton, a good friend and very active VT member and had decided that I didn't really fancy heading all the way back to London in one hit, although it was feasible. You will see from another tip on this page that on the outward journney I had stayed at an excellent establishment in the town and would have been happy to have returned there but I had booked fairly last minute (as usual) and they had no availablility for this particular night. I used a website I use regularly with excellent results called Laterooms, which came up with the Wentworth as an option so that is where I went.

I arrived late afternoon at a fine looking old building and rang the bell, to be greeted by a charming lady. I should make a small point here. For many years, seaside landladies were the butt of some pretty unflattering humour, specifically by stand up comedians, and from memory it was not all totally undeserved. I can remember having had some right old harridans to deal with in years past. I should say, however, that this group of people appear to have embraced whole-heartedly the concept that they are in a "hospitality" business and things are much changed now. On this particular trip I stayed in two establishments in Ilfracombe and one in Torquay and was greeted with the utmost civility in all of them. I submit this for the information of overseas visitors who may still have the notion that British seaside B&B's are intrinsically unfriendly, this really is not the case any more.

I was shown to my room on the first floor and facing the "main" road. This did not prove to be any sort of problem as it was extremely quiet at night. About the first thing I did notice was a sort of tray affair just inside the door with a label asking you to deposit your footwear there. I do not know if this indicates that it is hiker friendly (there is some lovely walking hereabouts) or just a general thing but is was certainly no hardship to get the boots off and wander sock-soled on a very decent carpet.

The rest of the room was furnished to a very good standard and I have to say the bed subsequently proved to be extremely comfortable. The ensuite was spotless and I was to find out that there was an abundant supply of hot water. The other usual facilities were in evidence, TV, tea and coffee making facilities etc. and I was very pleased with my choice.

I did notice that the establishment offers evening meals in addition to the breakfast and apparently prides itself on serving traditional British cuisine. I was heading out for the night so did not avail myself of that and indeed had told the proprietress that I would not be troubling her for breakfast as it is a meal I rarely take. I cannot, therefore, report on the quality of the food. At time of writing (November 2013) the tariff for the evening meal is as follows: 3 course + Tea or Coffee £16.00 per head, 2 Course + Tea or Coffee £12.50 per head, 1 Course + Tea or Coffee £8.50 per head. On the subject of tariff, I was travelling solo as usual and had been given this double room as single occupancy for £32 per night, which I thought was very competitive in high season (July).

If I had one minor, and it is minor, criticism of the Wentworth it would be that it is a little way out of the main area of town and up a bit of a hill (important if you are carrying luggage and walking) but perfectly walkable if you are not i.e. when you have checked in. This does, obviously, have the advantage of making it wery peaceful and I would have no hesitation in recommending this establishment for the reasons mentioned above.

Unique Quality: Apart from the footwear tray mentioned in the main body of the text, there are no unique qualities about the Wentworth. It is merely a very well-run and friendly hotel / guesthouse in a peaceful location, well-appointed and very comfortable. What else would you need?

Comments