Astor Hotel Plymouth

14 - 22 Elliott St, The Hoe, Plymouth, Devon, PL1 2PS, United Kingdom

Good For No Data
  • johngayton's Profile Photo

"Affordable Luxury"?

"Affordable Luxury" is what this hotel claims to offer on its website.

The word "luxury" I might disagree with but The Astor is certainly affortable and whilst perhaps not as ostentatiously luxurious as the other so-called "luxury" hotels in Plymouth this hotel is defintely a bargain for the money.

The building is a looker and the location, just off The Hoe, is ideal for anyone's purposes; romantic, city visiting, touring or even business. It's central, easy to find and on a quiet road where everything you could want is within 10 minutes walk.

Unique Quality: On my visit I enjoyed a nice simple check-in (booked through booking.com) and the leggy receptionist was a pleasure to deal with.

The room itself, with its little mirco balcony (I had one of the rooms overlooking the front door) was tightly spacious but sufficiently so for everything I needed - comfy bed, hot shower, work desk, working internet and even working light bulbs in every light fitting.

Great breakfast, friendlily-served, along with copious coffee made for a perfect start to a working day.

I wouldn't call it "luxury" but I'd definitely stay here again if the price is right. Good Hotel.

Directions: At the west end of The Hoe - if arriving by train get a taxi unless you like walking (or are a skinflint like me: in which case walk 20 mins).

More about Plymouth

Undistinguished FrontageUndistinguished Frontage

Public PoolPublic Pool

Where the Mayflower Departed from 1620Where the Mayflower Departed from 1620

Customs HouseCustoms House

Recommendations needed please

by sbevs

Hi All,

I'm taking my husband to Devon for our anniversary, he has family there that he hasn't seen for ages. Obviously I'd rather go to Paris or somewhere but an unable to fly at present. I wondered if anyone could recommend a good hotel in Plymouth? I'm wanting something a bit special seeing as it's our anniversary, at least 3 stars if possible. I could trawl through all teh hotel websites but I'd love to find somewhere with a personal recommendation.
Thanks.

by pcamps

I stay at the New Continental whenever I'm in Plymouth, I can't fault it for cleanliness and great service, so there's my recommendation.

by johngayton

The city centre hotels tend to be more business orientated than for special occasions. New Continental is fine. The Holiday Inn has a great central location and if you can get a room on one of the upper floors has great views.

However if you want somewhere a bit different just outside the city (about a 15 minute drive from the centre) try Langdon Court at Wembury. This is a classic country house hotel with loads of character, superb gardens, friendly informal staff and good food. www.langdoncourt.com

Have a good trip!

by sbevs

Thanks people. Langdon court looks nice but I think the New Continental have swung it for me, it looks stunning and the prices aren't too bad either.x

Travel Tips for Plymouth

Train station to City Centre travel

by yozza2005

Avoid taking a taxi from the train station to the city centre.
Firstly it's only 5minutes (easy) walk to the main shopping streets.
Secondly, you'll be ripped off in a cab.
Thirdly, help the environment by cutting out unnecessary short journeys by car(taxi).

For those looking to reach the University, this is about 3-5minutes walk from the Train Station.

The South Hams villages of...

by Scott_UK

The South Hams villages of Heybrook bay and Wembury are often missed by tourists, but are situated at the entrance to the Yealm estuary and overlooking Plymouth sound.
Wembury bay is popular with surfers and is quite a picturesque place with the Mewstone island prominent in the bay. I am biased though, this is where i lived for my formative years ;)
A bit off the beaten track, but Langdon court serves good meals and a great pint of Guinness. Lots of smuggling history too !!!

Sir Francis Drake Statue

by grayfo

The Sir Francis Drake Statue is mounted on top of a plinth some 5m tall overlooking Plymouth Sound and Drake's Island. This statue is in fact a bronze replica with the original being erected at Tavistock.

National Marine Aquarium.

by stevezero

Plymouth is the home of the National Marine Aquarium. The project was originally housed in buildings adjacent to the Citadel, close to The Hoe, but a purpose built home has been created from the old fish quay in Sutton Harbour. The imposing building creates a stunning sight as you view it across the harbour. Access from the Barbican is across the lock gates that guard the entrance to the inner harbour,

PLYMOUTH

by sunshinejo

I'll be blunt. I don't like Plymouth. Never have, probably never will. However, I attribute this to the fact that I grew up only 20 miles out of the city and visited regularly. For me, Plymouth is therefore nothing particularly exciting or out of the ordinary, but it's never been home for me either so doesn't tug at the old heartstrings in the way my home town does.

The other reason I can think of for my dislike of the city is that, as a local, I don't just see the pretty(ish) city centre or attractive waterfront. For me, Plymouth also consists of rather unattractive residential areas, the seediness of Union Street at 2am on a Saturday night after the clubs have kicked out and the rather bad tempers of some of the locals.

Having said that though, I'm not in anyway trying to put anyone off visiting. I've heard many, many people say how much they like Plymouth, that they think it's a beautiful city in a beautiful location. And it has so much to offer visitors, including trips to museums to learn about some of the city's history, watersports, shopping, family trips to the aquarium, fantastic views from the Hoe, walks on the moors, visits to quaint little villages nearby... the list goes on and on. For visitors, I would say that Plymouth is an excellent base for those who wish to get to know the south west better, the variation in the landscapes surrounding the city is incredible and I would definitly say that Plymouth is a city that has something to offer everyone.

Comments