Armada Way, Plymouth, Devon, PL1 1AR, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Average

More about Copthorne Hotel Plymouth

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member Saffron2804

I stayed recently at The Copthorne Plymouth on a business trip to the area. I found the hotel to have a great location, near to the station yet easily accessable to the city and Ho. The room I stayed in was clean and well appointed with everything needed for a good trouble free stay. The staff I encountered were all polite and accommodating from reception to the staff in the bar and restaurant. I enjoyed a meal in Bently's, the hotels restaurant which offered good value and well prepared food. Room service breakfast was deliverd on time (so often not the case) with everthing that was ordered.
All in all a pleasing stay, telephone charges excessive but no more than in any other hotel.
Thank you.

Bit dated but okay

by TripAdvisor Member blackcornish1964

I recently stayed at the Copthorne Hotel whilst onroute to Cardiff. I did manage to park right outside which was great, but I was charged for parking, something that had not been mentioned to me previously. The girl on reception was not the brightest star in the sky and check in was a bit tedious (as was check out).

The room was fine, and had obviously been very nice about 20 years ago. I bought a breakfast voucher for £10 and had the room service breakfast which was very good.

All in all for the £74 a night I paid (plus the extra for parking and breakfast) it was okay but not great value for money.

It is a good location and this has obviously been a good hotel in the past but I think a revamp is called for.

Faultless

by TripAdvisor Member dicanio10

Couldn't really find anything wrong with this hotel. Location was excellent, right at the top end of Armada Way which is the main shopping drag. As I arrived by train, I was pleased to find that the Copthorne was literally across the road and 5 minutes walk via the underpass. Reception is on the 1st floor so if you enter via Armada Way you need to take the lift up one floor.

Check in very smooth and efficient and my hire car was parked in their underground car park which is small but spacious and exit is via a token available from reception.

The room was bright and airy with a ceiling fan that actually worked (not that I needed it in February!) and well equipped with a plasma TV, decent wardrobe space with an ironing board and trouser press. Furniture wasn't too worn out and the bed was comfortable.

Bathroom was spotless and well equipped, no cracked tiles etc. and an easy to use shower.

I ate the breakfast for both days and it was the standard hot buffet with cereals, fruit, youghurts and cheese, all of good quality. The bar area was OK, decent range of beers and not over priced. Bar staff were very friendly, especially Naomi who impressed me with her efficiency and the relaxed way she spoke to customers. Much better than the usual hotel bar staff who don't care as much.

As for eating out, there aren't many options as the shopping centre closes down in the evening but there is a Chinese in Mayflower Street - small (around 35 covers) but good food and very friendly waitress, an Italian opposite and if you turn right out of the hotel from the ground floor there is a kebab house and a Greek restaurant. Also a Sainsburys literally next door to the hotel.

I would definitely recommend this place

Good, but not good enough!

by TripAdvisor Member VanDwaas

We booked a Club Suite corner room in order to experience a comfortable, hassle free stay. The room itself, although advertised as a recently refurbished connosseur room (they have changed the curtains from a gaudy pink to a gold colour and the bedding to more neutral tones!) has now been brought into the 80's but still has 27 years of updates to be completed. However, on a positive note it was clean.

We stayed for 2 nights at £127 night (under the impression that as it was the most expensive room on offer that breakfast would be included). When we arrived we were told by the receptionist that breakfast was included (naturally, we thought) but when we approached the dining room for breakfast next morning were advised that "we were not on the list" and were forced to return to the lift back up to the 1st floor to obtain two £10 vouchers (for which we paid at the time) in order to gain access to breakfast in the dining room. I am astonished that an international hotel chain such as Millenium Hotels can offer the best accommodation that one of their hotels has to offer without including breakfast as standard. After extensive negotiations with the Dining Room Manager we were instructed to return the vouchers for a refund to the reception desk. The receptionist refused to believe this and telephoned the Dining Room Manager to confirm that the refund was permitted and that it was the Dining Room Manager's responsibility to waive the fee and in refunding us accordingly would not be her responsibility (I presume that refunds of any description affect end of year bonuses?).

In order to assure you that it is not all one way traffic, the bar staff in Bentley's were very efficient and attentive during the lunch hour and are not without a sense of humour.

In conclusion, the Copthorne is a clean and generally efficient hotel in a central location but is let down by dated decor and quirky service. Let's face it, would an American tourist stand by and watch the receptionist check with the Dining Room Manager if what he said about breakfast being refunded by the aforementioned manager was true? A red rag to a bull if you ask me, and rightly so.

For dining in style in the evening, dine at Tanner's Restaurant in Finewell Street. It ranks as the 2nd best meal I have enjoyed on extensive travels across the world. Try the soup to start, sea bass for main and chocolate and marmalade tart for desert and finish off with a Tia Maria (Calypso) coffee. My wife and myself could have stayed there all weekend. The food was outstanding and the staff are a credit to their organisation. For a cheaper option or for dining with a family or larger group, try The Village Restaurant in Southwell Street. The seating is a little cramped but the service is excellent and the food is good, honest, wholesome and value for money.

Not that good

by TripAdvisor Member china_blue

Really not that good!
For some reason this chain of hotels seem to think they are much better than they actually are.
I have now stayed in a couple and to be honest they need a wake up call (which by the way was 13 minutes late!)
Booking in was dreadful and the receptionist didn't have a clue what she was doing..it took a full 15 minutes to get my room!
I was charged £3.50 for a car pak token that I did not need or use.
The room fittings were very tired and there was lots of traffic noise.
The food in the restaurant was good but very expensive as seems to be the case at all Copthorne/Milleniun hotels.
I was fortunate because my company gets something in the region of a 40% discount and it's still not me that has to pay the bill....if it was I would seriously look elsewhere!

ok for a night

by TripAdvisor Member summerlovin_7

Stayed at the copthorne en route to newquay for easter.

Generally it was fine, but the rooms were a little tired looking for a 4 star hotel.

it was clean though, and the food was fine.

In conclusion: Quite expensive but did the job.

PLYMOUTH ADVENTURE

by TripAdvisor Member Phil_Beckett

We stayed at the Copthorne 06 - 09 April 2007. After several exploratory calls to the hotel and their corporate booking line I booked a Weekend Saver at £GBP 59 per room including breakfast. The room (216) was a superior room with a view to the square below and was large with two single beds but, unlike most European hotels, included tea and coffee making facilities as well as a trouser press and ironing board. We had dinner at Bentley's restaurant on the Friday evening. This room, like the outside of the hotel, was very dated and in need of a drastic revamp. My companion's fish dish was good but my vegetarian main was rather bland and lacked imagination. The view from the dining room is over Sainsbury's car park. The breakfast was a great feast with plenty of choice for everyone. When asked for porridge the chef was happy to provide it. Over-all our stay was very comfortable and the room cleaned to a high standard every day. Ignore the outside and book the Copthorne - it's within easy walking distance to the city centre but still a quiet location. Reception staff are friendly and helpful.

Excellent holel but useful advise ref parking

by TripAdvisor Member Angela1969

I stayed at the copthorne for one night. After booking i was slightly wary after reading reviews, but i found the hotel to be very clean and tidy. With a very good room standard. I had a comfortable and peaceful nights sleep, the shower was excellent, and a very nice breakfast. I would have no hesitation in recommending it as an excellant place to stay.
As a female travelling alone with my eight year old son and knowning that i would have a late arrival time I wanted a safe comfortable and quiet hotel.

The advise i would pass on to any other travellers with regard to the car parking situation is to say that although the underground car park is safe and secure, if you are travelling to arrive on an evening the sainsbury car park seems by far a better choice.
They do have an entrance to the hotel from the sainsburys carpark which is spacious and very well lite, i was able to park right outside hotel door after finding the under ground area full. I arrived just after midnight on a friday night and didnt like the idea of leaving my son in the car whilst getting out to ring the buzzer and wait for the car park door to be opened, to unfortunately then drive in and find the car park full due a few badly parked cars, i then had to come out onto the one way system to find my way back into the sainsburys car park, which was by far the easier choice. i was surprised it hadnt been suggested as the best option when i expressed my conserns about their car park being full due to my late arrival.

Small hotel rooms at the Copthorne

by TripAdvisor Member FFvT

Just stayed at the Copthorne in Plymouth in a Club Room. The hotel does look very drab and dated from the outside but inside is better. Our room was impecibly clean but..... tiny!!!! Yes we had lots of windows for a good panoramic view but the room itself was really small and the bed was equally minute! The bathroom is also very clean but again tiny and the shower could be better but plenty of (very) hot water.
Breakfast is excellent and there's lots of choice with good service. Staff at reception could be a bit friendlier but generally ok.
If you're going to stay here ring them up first to discuss the size of the rooms and the beds. If a club room is small I dread to think about the size of a standard single or double

Room double booked, staff incompetent

by TripAdvisor Member WD1502

We booked the hotel 5 weeks in advance as going to see a concert in the city and the hotel was within walking distance. On our arrival at the hotel a couple in front of us had booked their room over 3 months before. They were told that due to a computer error that morning their room was double booked. We were also told the same story. The staff tried to tell us they had tried to phone a number of times during the day to advise us of this. We know this was a lie. The hotel had booked us another room on the outskirts of the city, i.e. not within walking distance of the concert venue. We were offered taxi vouchers to travel to the concert. We drove to the substitute hotel where we tried to book a taxi with the company for which we had vouchers they were fully booked. We ended up being 1 1/2 hours later to the concert than planned and paying for the taxi's ourselves.
The couple in front of us were offered payment for their room that night, taxi vouchers and a free weekend stay. We were not offered any payment.
A further couple behind us were also told their room was double booked.
If the rooms were booked that far in advance why did a computer error that morning cause the rooms to be double booked?In my opinion they over booked prior to the day and were probably allocated first come first served.
I will be pursuing compensation from the hotel and would certainly not recommend it to anyone.

One Of The Wimbledon 2010 GamesOne Of The Wimbledon 2010 Games