Dudley Hotel

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 review

Tags

Business Travel Budget Travel
johngayton's Profile Photo

Wish I'd Found This Years Ago!!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 17, 2010

Plymouth is a place that work causes me to pass through quite often and so over the years I've had quite a few overnight stops. Generally-speaking I've always found the cheaper hotels to be a bit hit and miss regarding quality and service and also very few of them have online reservations - I hate having to phone round searching for availabilty at short notice. That's why most of my hotels reviewed here are the chain places.

Work had me kicking my heels for a couple of days in Plymouth in July 2010 and searching booking.com the Dudley came up as one of the cheapest but with some very good reviews. As a person who always contributes reviews on booking.com whenever I've used them I tend to trust their review system and so booked a couple of nights.

Unique Quality: This turned out to be one of the best small hotels (well more of a B&B than a hotel) I've stayed in anywhere. The location, a couple of minutes walk from the railway station, was ideal for my purposes. The street itself is in a relatively quiet location and whilst a little bit further from the city centre than the website suggests is ideal for enjoying the lively city-within-a-city neighbourhood of Mutley.

Rooms are clean, comfortable and stylishly furnished. The bay windowed lounge is an ideal communal sitting room with its huge TV (if that's your thing) or as a rainy afternoon workspace (which is what I used it for). Breakfast (although only served for about an hour) was well worth getting up for - good coffee and OJ and an excellent fry-up. The freebie WiFi worked perfectly and the in-room tea and coffee making stuff generously topped-up (good biccies!!).

Best of all though was the friendly manager, Lewis, for whom nothing was a problem - a bit of traveller himself and always fun and helpful. Unfortunately he's now moved on but I'm sure that the person who has replaced him will endeavour to keep the same standards of hospitality.

Directions: If coming from the railway station turn left and follow the road that runs parallel to the railway lines - about a 5 minute walk.

5 Photos of Dudley Hotel

Plymouth Travel Forum

Need advice about Plymouth, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Plymouth and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Plymouth hotel reviews

Travelodge Plymouth
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Premier Inn Plymouth - City Centre (Sutton Harbour)
Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review