Holiday Inn

Armada Way, formerly Plymouth Hoe Moat House, Plymouth, Devon, PL1 2HJ, United Kingdom
Holiday Inn Plymouth
IHG Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Holiday Inn

Booking request ? Forget it !!!

I didn`t know many hotels in Plymouth and the Holliday Inn always seems an obvious choice - so I called up and spoke with their sales manager to go over different room rates etc ... She informed me of their booking email, so I wrote them an email to book a room for a week. 2 days later, no responds ... I called to sales manager again (she left a direct number) and left 2 messages ... No reply to any of these. The next day I called again to be told I would be send a confirmation ASAP. But you get the picture ...NO REPLY.

After all this running around, i really felt i was almoste having to BEGG to book me a room. I gave up and called the New Continental => What a difference in service. Needless to say they send me a booking confirmation within 5 Minutes!!

If the PRE-service is that BAD I am horrired about the actual stay. No thank you!

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member davsyd

I stayed here for 2 nights in April. The room has been recently refurbished and was modern and large, as was the bathroom.
We had a lovely view overlooking the lighthouse and ocean.
Reception girls were lovely and the whole hotel is a perfect place to stay.

The location is also handy being walking distance to the main shopping area and Theatre Royal.

This would have to be the best hotel in Plymouth.

The worst Holiday Inn in the UK!

This hotel is undergoing renovation, I would check that it is finished before you book.

The rooms that have been refirbished and are not finished. Heating does not work, Most light in the room do not work and it took more than 24 hours to get a room change to a room where the television worked.

I have stayed in many Holiday Inn's and this is by far the worst. Hopeful it will be better when the builders have left.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Joffy

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night in June. The room was recently refurbished and was furnished and decorated to a very good standard with an extremely comfortable bed. The air conditioning was not working but this was the case for all rooms and was due to the on-going refurbishment.

The swimming pool did not appear to have been renovated but still enjoyed a swim and the use of the other facilities.

The breakfast was excellent, with a huge buffet and great service from the staff. The restaurant has amazing views over Plymouth and surrounding area, I didn't eat dinner in the restaurant but when I return I'm sure I will.

I defiantly recommend this hotel and would be happy to stay again due to the very comfortable and modern rooms, excellent food, great service and excellent city centre location.

Decent if bland hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member Jchm

Business took me to Plymouth and this hotel. Despite being early, the hotel had my room ready on the 10th floor with what would be a pleasant view over the town had the windows not been so dirty!
As others have noted, the hotel has just been fully refurbished, and the room was nice and clean with a very comfortable bed and chairs. It was odd that the air-con unit was out of action, especially as it was 25C outside.
I had an aftrenoon drink in the lounge on the 'Penthouse Floor' which enjoys great views over The Hoe and out to sea.
Things got worse later as I discoverd that my room (1005) was right underneath the kitchens of the restaurant. There was crashing, banging, scraping, sweeping, and the click of heels on the hard floor until 01.30, so no sleep for me until then.
Breakfast was good - lots of choice and good service despite the place being full of American & Australian tourist coach parties.

Overall - a great location, smashing views from the lounge /restaurant, nicely furnished rooms, good staff, but beware the rooms on floor 10!

great views

by TripAdvisor Member Buckby

I have just spent 4 nights in this hotel, in a 10th floor Executive room. The room had recently been refurbished and really was very nice, with great views of Plymouth Hoe and the town, but you have to open the window to see it! I have never seen such dirty windows in a hotel. Come on Holiday Inn, there must be a window cleaner in Plymouth with a head for heights!! The food has improved considerably since the Moat House days, with a good choice for breakfast. The only other minor gripe would be that the bath is tiny. The swimming pool on the other hand is excellent. All the staff were very helpful, especially at the front desk and in the swimming pool. All in all, probably the best hotel in Plymouth, and without doubt the best views.

Nice refurbished hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rex_edmund

This is a nice hotel recently refurbished. It has very big spacious rooms and the bathrrom is nice and clean. This hotel also have a nice restaurant inside and seves delicious english desserts. The hotel is pretty close to the Hoe in Plymouth where Drake supposedly played his bowls before seeing off the Armada in 1588. The only drawback is, the hotel is far from everywhere else.

Fantastic Hotel Great location

by TripAdvisor Member mum2em1

Stayed here for one night . Hotel looks pretty unattractive from outside but is fantastic inside. Had a two double bed family room which was huge with loads of room. Bathroom excellent and the air conditioning a godsend. Had breakfast in the penthouse restaurant which, despite being very busy, the staff happily arranged for us to have a table for 9 without any problem. Great choice buffet breakfast eaten overlooking Plymouth Hoe. Leisure club good. Pool quite small and part roped off for lessons (take care with non swimmers as pool gets deep very quickly).
Hotel in great location for Town 5 min. walk, Hoe 2 min walk, Quay with Aquarium and restaurants bars etc. 10 min easy walk.
ONLY drawback is the very tight underground car park fortunately left hubby to negotiate that!! Will definatley stay here again great first night of our holiday in Cornwall.

New nice rooms but still Terrible service !

by TripAdvisor Member Peter43

Went for 4 night to Plymouth on business and booked in the holliday inn online which all went smooth ... The room was nice and refurbished as some ppl state below. Great! NOT! I

t was one of those HOT summer days and the airco was not working. I complained and it would be fixed within 30 min, 2 hours later nothing ... I complained again. It now could not be fixed untill the next day? I paid for a room with airco that worked. The next another thing and another ... The last day of my stay it finally got fixed. I was not offered any reduction or compensation barely a sorry Sir.

The food was OK, the room was nice.
But the service was So So POOR and on that basis alone, I would not return, plenty other hotels around.

Peter S.

Great stay at the Holiday Inn

by TripAdvisor Member Janner05

Stayed one night at the Holiday Inn in a room on the 9th floor with great views over the Hoe and Plymouth Sound. Room was clean and spacious with a comfortable bed. The hotel was very busy especially at breakfast but the staff were efficient at getting everybody to a table as quick as they could.
I would recommend this Hotel.

Cavernous, Austere, Dining RoomCavernous, Austere, Dining Room

The HoeThe Hoe

The Hoe Bowls Club (not the 1588 original!)The Hoe Bowls Club (not the 1588 original!)

SubmarinesSubmarines