Imperial Hotel Plymouth

The Imperial, Plymouth
Expedia.com Booking.com Agoda.com

More about Plymouth

Plymouth City CentrePlymouth City Centre

Kathy found her family name on the MonumentKathy found her family name on the Monument

Plymouth SoundPlymouth Sound

FrontageFrontage

Travel Tips for Plymouth

Of course Cider making is part...

by Linky_Pinky

Of course Cider making is part of Cornish Culture. We took a trip to the Cider farm at Penhallow.
Open throughout the year and during summer months until 8.00 p.m.
Located on the A3075, 5 miles from Newquay at Penhallow.
Here's a picture of one of the amimals there.
There is loads of free parking for cars and coaches.
Free admission into the farm
Free cider tasting and jam tasting
More info on
www.thecornishciderarm.com
Also do tractor rides round the farm for the young or the young at heart.£2.50

The Friendliest Takeaway In Plymouth!

by johngayton about Royal Gurkha

This is a relatively recent addition to the Plymouth takeaway food scene and a very welcome one too. The Royal Gurkha specialises in Nepalese cuisine with a few of the more commonplace Indian favourites thrown in for good measure.

On my first visit the chef (Savya??) greeted me with a genuinely enthusiastic welcome as he asked whether it was my first visit and whether I knew anything about Nepalese food. I replied that yes it was my first visit and no I knew nothing about Nepalese food but that was why I'd dropped in - to see what it was about.

"Then you must try our house speciality - the Nepalese Kutta."

"Strangely enough that's exactly what I came in to try!"

So as my meal was cooking - like any good chef he had his assistant doing the actual work LOL - we got chatting and he explained that Nepalese food is very similar in style to that of Northern India but that the spicing is more subtle.

It certainly smelt good as it was cooking and once ready my new chef buddy added a couple of freebie puppadums with dips and a couple of onion bhajis as he bade me: "Enjoy - We'll see you again soon. Everybody comes back once they've tried us."

Yep, he was absolutely correct. My meal was delish and two days later I was back for more and got welcomed like a long-lost brother.

This isn't one of these plush takeaways serving up plasticky food within seconds of ordering. In fact it's a little scruffy and service isn't particularly fast but it is real food and the open kitchen, whilst obviously a working kitchen, is perfectly clean. Even If the food does take a bit of time to cook the friendly staff will keep you amused and the end result is well worth waiting for. For my first visit the aforementioned "Nepalese Kutta" turned out to be a lamb stew slow-cooked with a powerfully aromatic array of subtle spices and finished with fresh tomatoes, peas and a good sprinkling of fresh coriander. The accompanying egg rice was infused with just a touch of toasted cumin seeds and was an ideal foil for the richness of the dish. The freebie stuff was much appreciated and turned my main course into a veritable feast.

My second visit I left the menu to the chef to decide upon - I just said I fancied something light and maybe seafoody. I was treated to the "Tandoori King Prawn Masala". This turned out to be a dozen big, juicy prawns marinated and cooked in a definitively flavoured masala. I can't remember what rice I had but this time I got a freebie naan bread and a side dish of spinach which once again turned my simple meal into a full-blown repast.

Yep certainly worth seeking out and whilst not the cheapest takeaways in town is definitely the friendliest and the food is great!

You shouln't miss Exeter...

by Miffy

You shouln't miss Exeter Cathedral, even if you don't have a particular interest in architecture or religion. It's not just the cathedral itself, but the surrounding buildings in the Close: Mol's coffee house is a timber-framed treat and other period buildings have been tastefully converted to contain cream tea shops, Waterstone's bookshop, etc. The Green is a very nice place to sit on a Summer's day. For some reason most of my memories of Exeter seem to involve clutching a pint of lager or cider: in my mind, that's bliss, to be slightly woozy when the sun is shining in Exeter.
This is an ancient picture from a John Hinde postcard. Credit:D Noble. But this is how I remember it from the seventies. (Or possibly later -that big courtyard in front of the cathedral came after they had done some extensive Roman excavations and then covered them up again - starting a debate about which era was more important to preserve)

The National Marine Aquarium...

by Geoff_Wright

The National Marine Aquarium, just a few minutes' walk from the Barbican. There is a small car park here, which is usually full if you don't arrive first thing. . More details to follow. (Lots of text missing since the release of New VT!!!)

Plymouth and Cornwall

by Monique_T

Plymouth is just outside Cornwall. It is a great city with many shops and lots to see and do. But I really want to tell you all about Cornwall as it is so lovely around there. I worked there twice as an au-pair and had a fantastic time. That was back in 1992 and 1993. We still go there now and then and we have some good friends there who just (february 2002) visited us. There is not really a page to write about Cornwall so decided to use this page. Read it and decide to visit there sometime!

Comments