Rockley Park Holiday Park Plymouth

FrontageFrontage

Saint Andrews ChurchSaint Andrews Church

Tanner's RestaurantTanner's Restaurant

Travel Tips for Plymouth

try to come to plymouth at the...

by utttz

try to come to plymouth at the beginning of june every four year... (next time is 2004). You can see a really excityng show... The start of the single handed transatlantic race. It's really interesting to follow all the rigging... the first time I went to plymouth I was 14... quite a long time ago! I was fishing in newquay, cornwall... while I was coming back home with all my fishes, I was stopped by a crazy one who was really excited and astonished.... My english, at those time, was poorer than now: I was barely able to say YES and NO (now I can even say perhaps)... Ok what that strange men wanted was a mistery to me since I found a friend of mine speaking English.. One of the fish I had was probably the world record!!! We went to the plymouth acquarium to omologate it.... unfortunately it was not a 'first price one' but I was able to visit all the backstage of plymouth acquarum....

Visit Buckfast Abbey
This...

by margaretvn

Visit Buckfast Abbey
This abbey was originally built in the Norman times and it dominates the market town of Buckfastleigh. The abbey fell into ruin after the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII and it was not until 1882 that a small group of French Benedictine monks set up a new abbey. The monks themselves carried out the work on the abbey and it was financed by donations. It was completed in 1938. There are some beautiful modern stained glass windows and mosaics in the abbey, which are also the monk’s work. The abbey is open daily.

Smeaton’s Tower

by grayfo

Built in 1756-9 this was Plymouth’s third lighthouse, It would still be on the reef today but for the fact that the sea undermined the rock on which it stood. A new lighthouse was built on an adjoining rock and it was realised that if Smeaton's tower was left standing it would be a constant danger to the new lighthouse because if the rock did give way then it likely crash into the new lighthouse. To prevent it being blown up it was dismantled stone by stone and re-erected on Plymouth Hoe to replace the Trinity House navigation obelisk.

The Hoe

by freya_heaven

Plymouth Hoe with its famous lighthouse is picture perfect. There is a huge well maintained park with many monuments and statues and as mentioned the red and which lighthouse. The most stunning attraction to the Hoe has to be the views over the city on the land side and over Plymouth Sound, Break water, Drakes Island and surrounding coastline down to Cornwall.

The Green on the Hoe is where Sir Francis Drake famously continued his game of bowls whilst the invading Spanish Armada had been sited off the Sound in 1588. This story is usually told to imply Drakes courageous nerve and confidence. I have recently discovered it was low tide and his ships were not able to sail until high tide hours later, which is why he was in no rush to leave his game!

Rugged coast

by stedeb

"Not sure where this is???"

We were actually staying with family in Torpoint which I think is part of Plymouth. If I am wrong I apologise to all those people. My cousin took us for a drive what a magnificant coastline. It was blowing a glae and the waves were thundering against the shore.

Comments