Best Western Hotel Gleneagles

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Best Western Hotel Gleneagles

Fawlty Towers is still in Torquay

by TripAdvisor Member Traveller-in-UK

I stay in many hotels across the country and wanted to see the hotel that inspired John Cleese to write the comedy "Fawlty Towers".

If you wrote a script like this you would be laughed out of the room.

On arrival you are greeted by a poster proudly proclaiming the fame attached to the hotel - fair enough adds to the colour. The Restaurant, Bar and Conservatory have all been recently refurbished and my congratulations go to the Interior Designer on doing such a good job.

BUT...
The room I had was no-where near the standard set, there were no towels in the room so I had to get some found for me. The showerhead drooped and wouldn't stay at a usable angle, so I decided to hold it. The hot water was too hot, but when I added the smallest amount of cold-water it cut off the hot water leaving a cold water trickle. Oh and the toilet was wonky!

To cap the farce the Night Porter was bound and gagged over night and the safe was stolen!

The redeeming factors were the breakfast and the staff, the former being a good fry up and the latter were always helpful and attentive.

lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DevonSunshine

10 of us went to stay the weekend ,at the gleneagles after staying at there sister hotel in bournemouth .And i can say we were not dissapointed .... the staff were really helpful ,the rooms clean and the sea view was just as the picture on the web site .
The food was lovely ,plenty of it and a good choice .
The hotel had a faulty towers night on the saturday night and i had a job to eat my meal from laughing so much...We are already looking to book again for next year .
Thank you for a lovely weekend.

Faulty Gleneagles!

by TripAdvisor Member lilly30

Such a shame. If your looking for a place to stop...don't choose the gleneagles. One reviewer put it as mutton dressed as lamb! Couldn't put better as that's what it is. Its was such a dissapointment when we got there. A sea view room....not really much to see! The balconys are a disgrace and don't look they had been cleaned in years. The room was tiny it wouldn't have been fit for the borrowers. It was nice that they had left tea making facilities.....however, inside the kettle was rust and limescale....yuck! The bed was a very small double and not comfy. We did get a choice of 2 other rooms. We looked and that was it...not a lot different.

Wouldn't recommend to anyone. For £50 a night you're wondering what your money is going on. Go and B&B it in torquay. The westbourne hotel I would highly recommend.

Don't mention the war and don't mention the gleneagles...it's rubbish!!!

Pretty darn good, I reckon!

by TripAdvisor Member Waggers21

We stayed at the Gleneagles as the lucky winners of a free two day break. In spite of the fact that I wasn't paying, I'd like to think that my review will be objective.
From what I understand, the hotel has just had a major refurbishment, costing £1.5m. The ground floor is ultra modern with lots of chrome and halogen lighting - slightly over the top for my taste, but no grounds for complaint. We were given room 43 (Rose), which had a sea view.
The room was a good size and the bathroom had recently been refurbed to a high standard. The shower looked good but lacked a bit of power, the rest was 1st class. Bed was clean, firm and comfortable.
We ate in the restaurant both nights and felt that the menu represented good value - four good courses for £25. Wine list was OK, but a bit lacking at the upper end.
Breakfast was not quite up to the standards they set at dinner although there was a good choice and it was freshly cooked. If you read this, Trevor, you might rethink the cheap jam & marmalade offerings! Staff were friendly, curteous and attentive.
When I've been on similar freebies in the past, I've been palmed off with the smallest room available and a limited choice in the restaurant - not the case here, for which sincere thanks!
Would certainly stay here again when next in Torquay.

Best hotel I have ever stayed in

by TripAdvisor Member zoewBlackburn

I booked this hotel online, I didn`t read any reveiws about it. I was rather worried what we would find as it used to be the Faulty Towers Hotel.
We arrived to a warm welcome by the managment and staff. We where shown through the reception area, which was beautiful. We went into the room which was clean and tidy and even custard creams and a kettle ! The mattress was too soft, that is the only thing I could complain about. We went downstairs for the evening meal all the reception area, dinning room and conservatory was beautiful, really five star, the service and the food was also fantastic. Only disappointed as we have tried to rebook to go this weekend and it is full, we will definately go back well worth a visit just for the food and service.

Not Child Friendly And Truly Freezing Pool

by TripAdvisor Member Wizardora

We are a family of 4, booked this hotel for one night at beginning of August, we were in beautiful sunshine, the room was a good size but overlooked the front reception of the hotel, the rooms are situated up a mezzanine type staircase which is very airless and a bit cut off from the rest of the hotel. one double and two single beds in the room with very basic kettle and sachets to make a cup of tea. We booked this hotel thinking it would be fun and have lots of references to the Fawty Towers sitcom. Not the case, there are about three or four references to it, in the form of framed letters or similar and thats it. It is trying to be an upper class hotel but suceeds only in making you feel totally uncomfortable. There are very few children there and if your child giggles or runs you are glared at. The pool was absolutely ice. We complained to a very friendly male receptionist who was totally shocked that the pool was so cold and who insisted the heating was on. After three complaints and real concern for my 8 year old who cried and was shivering from trying to go in the beautiful looking pool we gave up and sat in the sunshine. I put my feet in and i have never felt a pool so cold it was barely a few degrees from freezing over. We booked dinner, extortionate prices of £25.50 per head for a meal without drinks which was served as art with the lamb shank sitting on top of a small pat of mashed potatoes. I have to say the food was actually delicious and the chef was brilliant but covered in a red wine sauce not ideal for children and the alternative choices, fish etc also not appetising. Would never go again, total waste of money for a family. All night we heard deliveries and bottles being bashed about on trolleys at reception. A very adult (over 50) sedate hotel.

impersonal Gleneagles

by TripAdvisor Member ErmerP

If you want a simple clean hotel the Gleneagles is fine. The public areas are stylish and in the art deco style, but the rooms are not to the same standard. They need a bit more personality, even a picture or 2 would be nice.

The evening meal was nice with plenty of choice. The breakfast was not as good. It seemed a bit processed, tinned mushrooms, and horrible sausages, but OK besides.

There are plenty of staff, which serve you with great speed! But they could all do with being slightly more friendly. Even the manager seemed to be thinking of something else rather than making any kind of eye contact. We didn't even get asked if we enjoyed our stay. These little things make all the difference when staying anywhere. But overall it was good value for money.

An utter insult to best western hotels

by TripAdvisor Member WizMyrddin

I recently stayed at this hotel and although the decor on the public areas is very well and pleasing to the eye with tastfull art decor styling where for me the hotel fails is the rooms.

The one I was allocated was designated a smoking rooms, like them or not some travelers like to smoke still, there was no ash tray and the hotel have to find one which took 10 min, room service could only be compared to agressive in that the waiter more or less ran in and dropped my meal down on the edge of a small table and just about ran out.

The room was the worse I have ever stayed in in 8 years of business traveling, the bathroom had a broken roll holder, around 3x3 feet space to stand, dirt on a early 80's undersink unit which was grubby on the inside, plus broken fixings.

The room was def not like the pictures in that the walls could have done with decorating in that it had a 90's border effect.

The worse point was both my room service and breakfast was not hot but more cold to warm.

On checking out I found a mystery bar bill for drinks (I am tea total and do not drink) plus a charge for room service.

Overall this was not in any way value for money and would not reconment this hotel.

Lovely Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member TravellingEnthusiast

I have just returned from a really lovely half term break in Torquay, made all the more pleasurable by the high standard set by the Gleneagles Hotel.

I'm really surprised by the sub standard reviews that the hotel has so far received on this site as they sound nothing like my experience.

The hotel itself has been very tastefully redecorated, with a stylish bar, restaurant and conservatory. At times you feel like your relaxing in a 5 star hotel whilst overlooking the beautiful view in the conservatory.

As a Londoner I was astonished by the quality of the evening meals (as good as some of the meals I pay a small fortune for in London), for 25 pounds they are a bargain and the quality and freshness of the food was mouth watering. We considered eating out on the second night of our stay but ended up staying in as we couldn't see anything else that looked as good in town.

To cap it all off the staff were fantastic, really keen and enthusiastic and most importantly happy - there is nothing worse than staying somewhere where everyone is miserable - definitely not the case here, service was very much "with a smile."

I'd definitely book again for a relaxing break away from London - a really high quality hotel and great value.

Fantastic Service

by TripAdvisor Member Tinkerbell50

I had my wedding reception here in January 2008 and I could honestly not fault one thing. I was slightly nervous as some of the reviews had not been the best but they could not have been further from the truth. From the beginning to end the reception went smoothly and everyone had a fantastic time. The food and service was exceptional and the staff were always attentive and made sure that everything ran smoothly. Because of this me and my husband were able to just sit back and enjoy ourselves. We hired out the hotel for the entire night to family and friends and everyone was delighted with the service and the standard of the bedrooms. I will definitely be going back to this wonderful hotel.

Gleneagles Hotel, TorquayGleneagles Hotel, Torquay