Torbay Rd, Sea Front, Torquay, English Riviera, TQ2 6RH, United Kingdom

Booking.com Priceline.com

• Disabled room is excellent and very comfortable

The staff were very friendly and very helpful, the room was big enough for the wheelchair. It had a lovely view of the sea and the bathroom was well equipped with a shower and seat. Parking was close to the main entrance so made it easy to just pop in whenever you needed to. The restaurant was easy to bring a wheelchair in and out of with tables that you could fit a chair in comfortably. The bar and lounge again were easy to use too. Its so nice have already booked another stay there!

Unique Quality: The views from the restaurant, bar, lounge and room were spectacular of the seafront, all the rooms were light and airy. The staff were so friendly and so helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them.

More about Corbyn Head Hotel

Train Station

by MarvintheMartian

Torquay has its own train station very close to Corbyn's Head Beach.

If you are visiting for the day then a trip into Torquay is ideal by train. Buses can be found nearby on the main road on the Sea Front.

For more transport options see the web link below.

The Rocks

by MarvintheMartian

Between Torre Abbey Sands and Corbyn's Head Beach there lies a group of rocks and rock pools.

It's good fun to go walking, jumping or hopping around the rocks and looking for crabs or other sea life in the rock pools.

Be careful not be cut off by the tide!

Corbyn's Head Beach (once known as Chelston Beach)

by MarvintheMartian

This is a sand and shingle beach and again will get mostly covered when the tide comes in.

This is more of a family beach and there are beach huts along the beach wall - these huts can be hired along with deck chairs and sunbeds.

Facilities: Parking 1/4 mile from beach; dogs banned; swimming, safe with care; warning flags in operation; life saving equipment; toilets nearby; deck chair/sun bed hire; chalet hire
Disabled: easy access; toilets nearby

Getting to Cockington

by MarvintheMartian

There are a few ways to get to Cockington.

Walking (or by Car):
Follow the road inland from Livermead Beach (just up from Corbyn's Head). At the first junction cross the road and then take the country path beside the Cockington stream. This will take you directly into the village.
Although the road runs next to this path.

Alternatively follow Walnut Road from the main traffic light junction leading towards the Torr Abbey area. This leads past a series of local shops and continues uphill towards St Matthews Church and Green. The road is now St Mathews Road. At the top of the hill take one of two left turns. One can be driven the other is a one way road and can only be walked down (or driven up!).

There is a dial a bus service that can take you into Cockington Village:
Dial-a-bus:(01803)211467

There are tourist transport services into Cockington from the Sea Front and Harbour area which run during the summer.

Alternatively take a horse-drawn carriage and be in keeping with the history of the area.

I originally stated that Cockington was not very wheel chair friendly, however I stand corrected - the lovely people in Cockington have sorted out good wheel chair access around most of the village - enjoy!

Other good website:

Great service, friendly hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Erin23

We have just stayed at the Corbyn Head Hotel in Torquay and had a great time. The staff were very friendly and the hotel itself we could not fault. We took our one year old daughter and nothing was too much trouble for the staff, any requests were all accomodated for straight away. The food was excellent and we will definately be returning. 10/10

What a Smell

by TripAdvisor Member cat_rowdy

Me and my family visited Torquay in July 2006 and had the misfurtune to be booked into the Corbyn Head Hotel. First impressions were not bad however when we shown to our rooms the smell was terrible. Stale ciggaret smoke and urine that had been masked by air freshner.After complaining we were shown three other rooms tat were no better. We promptley left to find another hotel. Oh and by the way the place is AA three diamonds and they charge £164 per room per night

Consistent High Standard

Consistent High standards continue to be enjoyed at the Corbyn Head Hotel.Anthony (owner/manager) has certainly got the midas touch.This was our 10th visit
and the food is as superb as ever.Helpful and friendly staff ensure your stay is excellent.Also the lady on the Piano is wonderful !!!

Service is a pleasure

My wife and I have just spent our second break at the Corbyn Head and what a pleasure it was to stay there.We have stayed in several locations in and around Torquay but have only returned to one ( The Corbyn Head ). This is all credit to the staff who without exception are curtious and polite and welcoming at all times, always with a smile and a thank you. I look to take my wife somewhere a little special for our anniversaries and to return to a hotel twice and be looking to spend another anniversary at that same hotel has got to be a recommendation in itself.Our bedroom was a superior room with balcony and sea view,and we were not disappionted. We had a wonderful views towards Torquay and I took photos at 05.30 am of the sun rise over the headland. We could walk to the town within forty five minutes along the promanade, and did so every morning.
My wife is a very good cook and we both enjoy eating out and whilst at this hotel the evening meals were a pleasure to eat, Italian salad, strawberry and cucumber starter,Belgium chocolate cup to mention but a few of the delights that were on offer.
All in all it has been a relaxing and enjoyable stay and I am booking a weekend at this hotel for my parents on their 50th wedding anniversary next year.

wonderful views and staff

by TripAdvisor Member allybonnieoscar

My husband and I have just returned from the Corbyn Head ( 23rd -25th July). We went with my elderly father in law for a short break by the sea and were not dissapointed. We booked rooms with a sea view which had wonderful views across a very still Torbay.The rooms were very clean, the only down side was a sluggish shower but that said it still did it's job. The main selling point for this hotel is the staff who are very friendly, polite and attentive. The pool area is small but is a very pleasant place to sit with a drink and again soak up the view and the sun.The food in the Harbour Restaurant was very good on our first evening perhaps not as good on the second but still ok. A good traditional seaside holiday hotel.

A quick reality check

I stayed at the Corbyn Head following reading previous reviews on Tripadvisor. I really can't see what the fuss is all about.

It's a very average 3 star hotel with 3 star facilities.

Here's what was good:

- The staff were very polite and helpful - especially the young lady on reception, for whom nothing appeared to be too much trouble.

- There is a car park

- The food was ok - I'm still alive

- Erm, struggling to think of more good things

Here's what was bad:

- The bed was one of the most uncomfortable I have ever slept in.

- The hotel is in the middle of nowhere. It's neither in Torbay nor Paignton. It's a good mile at least from Torbay (which was dead by the way). To get to Paignton, you need a car. It's not worth staying here if you don't have a car or don't fancy long walks

- The barman spilt my champagne. He opened the bottle and fizzed it everywhere. I really couldn't be bothered to have a conversation about getting a refund for the third of a bottle that was all over the table and my trousers.

- Being told where to sit to have my breakfast. There was no chance of sitting near the window, even though the tables were empty. I think there was some sort of secret breakfast club, that I wasn't invited to and if you were in the club, you could sit at the window and if you weren't you had to sit near the door.

I stayed 2 nights with my girlfriend and left in good spirits, having accepted that we'd gone to Torquay to have a bit of fun. However, for £130 per night, this hotel was way over-priced. Once again, another mention for the staff (apart from the chap who decided to spray me with champers, behaving as if he were Michael Schumacher). The rest of the staff were really quite charming.

Comments