Lincombe Hall Hotel

johngayton's Profile Photo

Unbeatable Out-Of-Season Value

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 31, 2012

I've stayed here twice now, on both occasions for a November visit, and on both occasions have gotten bed & breakfast for silly money. But even looking at the current rates (summer 2012) on the website these still reflect excellent value for money.

This is a stylish, full-service, three star establishment which in any European city would deserve the appellation "Boutique". The building itself, formerly the private home of local doctor (?), dates from Torquay's Victorian heyday and has been superbly renovated whilst retaining much of its original features and character. Set in a couple of acres of well-kept gardens just off a quiet suburban street this is almost like visiting a country stately home.

Service is slightly formal but not at all stuffy and staff are helpful and friendly. On my first visit it had been raining heavily and when I got to my room it turned out that the roof had sprung a leak. Popping back down to reception I was immediately given another room - which to me looked like an upgrade - with no questions asked. The following day when I was returning in the evening from whatever I'd been doing the owner himself was manning reception. He apologised profusely for any inconvenience but as I pointed out it was just one of those things and wasn't even a problem as it was solved without any hassles.

The rooms, I had a slightly smaller one on my second visit, are spacious, bright, immaculately clean and comfortable and the little designer touches are tasteful. WiFi worked perfectly and both my rooms had plenty of workspace. Breakfast, served in the classy dining room overlooking the gardens, was spot-on - sometimes buffet, othertimes table served (depending on how busy they were) and well worth getting up for.

I think I stayed a total of nine nights over the course of my two visits and found everything pretty much faultless.

Directions: Slightly out of town and requiring a bit of a walk up the hill from the harbour, heading towards Meadfoot Beach.

Nearby Lincombe Hall Hotel

• Room Service
  • Free Parking
  • Free High Speed Internet

Torquay Travel Forum

Need advice about Torquay, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Torquay and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Torquay hotel reviews