The Grosvenor Hotel

Belgrave Road, Torquay, English Riviera, TQ2 5HG, United Kingdom

Grosvenor Hotel Torquay
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

• GREAT VALUE GREAT FUN!!!!

Where do i Start.
    A GREAT location GREAT Staff and full of fun and laughter.
    We stayed here in July and from start until finish had a great time.
    Friendly people CHEESY Entertainment and our Little Girl loved it-having a 2yaer Old is hard work BUT The Grosvenor made our stay easy and fun.
    Basic Cheap Rooms that did the job.
    The In Restaurant was EXCELLENT Value for money BIG Portions Tasted good.
    Try the BINGO
    Try the Pool
    If you want The Ritz then go stay there.........

Unique Quality: Facilities
    Value for Money

Directions: Just off The Sea Front

More about The Grosvenor Hotel

DSAPPOINTING

by TripAdvisor Member yazziewiltshire

Myself,my husband and two children stayed at the hotel for two nights it was all ok until we got home to find I had left my hairdryer and straighteners ( 40th birthday present ) there.I rang the hotel and gave them a description and told them exactly where I had left them.A member of staff rang me back 1/2 hour later to inform me she'd found them.We agreed she would get me a postage quote and ring me back and I would pay for it.. . . I'm still awaiting the call 21/2 months later!! I've written twice,emailed and rang them too many times than I care to remember and keep being fobbed off with Gemma the manager will ring you,I've spoken to her a couple of times but only because I rang her.In one week I rang her every day and each time I was told she was in a meeting . . . . yeah alright.I have been told on one occasion that they only had my hairdryer and then a week later that they didn't have either so I guess the fairies took them!!! Stephanie was the most understanding and helpful but Gemma didn't respond to any of her messages to ring me.My friend went to Torquay last week and was going to visit the Grosvenor as I have only just returned from Turkey I haven't had chance to catch up with her.In the meantime I have had to buy another hairdryer and straighteners so I am not impressed and wouldn't recommend the hotel to anyone which is a shame as we had enjoyed our stay.

Ruined holiday in Torquay

by TripAdvisor Member EnglandKaz65

Please do not stay at the Grosvenor Hotel. We arrived at the hotel on 16th August only to be told that the single room with a walk in shower, which we had requested by telephone in March, was unavailable. Gemma Balham (manager) rudely told us there was no record of our call. We were then given a room on the very shabby side of the hotel with a walk in shower. My mother who is unable to use a bath was told she could only use this room until Wednesday evening. I had also telephoned the hotel to ask for an adjoining family room which we had agreed to pay and extra £100 for this was also unavailable yet again there was no record of our call. The rooms are dated, smell damp, the carpet is dirty, the floor tiles are cracked and the curtains in room 217 were hanging down when we arrived and exactly the same state when we left the hotel in disgust a day early than we had planned. On Thursday my mother was told she had to move rooms to the other side of the hotel to room 101 to a room with a bath. She realised she had left a bottle of oil of Olay in room 410 on telephoning reception she was told it was not there. I have never been treated with such disrespect; Gemma Balham has not got a clue about customer service. The Grosvenor hotel is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

Relaxing Romance

by TripAdvisor Member PrunellaSWales

I have recently stayed at the Grosvenor hotel and I must say I was delighted.

The ambience was relaxing; the indoor pool was divine and the atmosphere purely comforting.

As we are a young couple I did start to think due to the reviews that the hotel may be, let’s say a little 'aged', but was pleasantly suppressed. There was live music, a jazz band- quite quirky, a fabulous restaurant Mima's, and a magnificent view.

Within the area there were endless activities and days out to amuse all ages. If you do visit I must suggest Cockington as the walks were idyllic.

I guess a holiday is what you make it.

Almost ruined our special weekend

by TripAdvisor Member AwayAgainHampshire

I booked this hotel as a surprise trip for my husband's 50th birthday and reserved an 'executive' room for our 3 night stay, explaining at the time that it was for a special occasion. From the brochure sent to me and from the English Riviera website I was expecting a 'luxurious, relaxing hotel'.

However, my first impressions of the hotel when walking up the road was "oh dear, what have I booked?".

On checking in the receptionist was very friendly and I decided that it would probably be fine.

But, oh dear, what a disapointment when we reached our room. There was a dreadful musty smell which just would not go away, the furniture was shabby, as if it had been bought from a jumble sale and the bed had an awful white plastic frame around it, a bit like an old-fashioned gazebo, with a dirty, yellow net draped over and around it, all in the pretence of being a Four-poster bed.

Having sat down for a few minutes, it only got worse when my husband pointed out the state of the bathroom. the bath had been very badly repaired and hence had a huge lump of mastic type glue on the bottom.
There was absolutely no way I could allow our two-year old daughter, who was travelling with us, to either sleep in a room with such a dreadful smell or bath in such a disgusting bathroom.

I went down to reception to ask to be moved, which the receptionist did as much as she could to help and said that she totally understood my feelings. However, they had no 'executive' rooms available for that night but after speaking to the manager the hotel offered to put us up in a standard room for one night and then give us the choice of executive rooms the following day. The receptionist showed us a couple of standard rooms, but unfortunately they all seemed to have a strong smell about them.

I therefore asked to be moved to another hotel and this was accepted and the staff were really helpful in finding us alternative accommodation at a superb hotel resort just a few metres up the road. The Grosvenor also gave us a full refund.

I don't believe this hotel should be graded as a 3* and should definitely not be described as 'one of the most relaxing hotels in the bay' by the English Riviera website. My short time there was far from relaxing and almost ruined what was planned as a special weekend for a special occasion.

On a plus side, the staff went out of their way to do as much as they could to try to solve the situation.

Relaxing Break in Torquay

by TripAdvisor Member magicmilly

We booked a latedeal at the hotel & were a bit worried after reading the reviews on this site. Our standard bedroom had just been refurbished & was comfy. The food was fantastic, they have a new head chef & it was a delight to eat each night. The staff were very friendly & helpful especially the hotel manager Gemma Balaam helped when we had problems with our car.
We will definitly be going back & would not hesitate to reccomend.

Not Ideal

by TripAdvisor Member maidenv1

I booked a room at the last minute. I contacted the hotel the day I was set to leave for my holiday to confirm the reservation to be told they had overbooked and we were to be put in the nearby Derwent Hotel (see review). I found out at the end of my trip this was not a four star hotel like the Grosvenor but a two star hotel. Had I not contacted the Grosvenor before I left home I would have arrived in Torquay and had a nasty surprise about this switch. The hotel had my telephone number and email address but made no attempt to contact me. I find this a little underhand and devious and based on this experience and the other reviews I've read I would not book at the Grosvenor again.

A Lovely Friendly Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SCA88

When deciding upon a short break in Torquay we could have ended up staying anywhere, but we are so glad we picked The Grosvenor. From the first moment we walked into the hotel the receptionist was extremely polite and very helpful. The hotel looked like the same as any other you would see in and around Torquay but once inside it had so much character. Quirky pictures, elaborate furniture and polished wood floors added to the unique ambience of the hotel.

We booked a last minute deal and therefore upon arrival expected to be put in a low grade room. However there were no complaints from any of our party, the room was more than adequate with a large bathroom.
The breakfast was lovely and the waiter very polite and helpful.

If eating in Torquay we recommend the Camelot restaurant in town, the food is excellent and when they say feast on the menu they really mean it!

The area is so beautiful and we would definitely stay at The Grosvenor again.

Excellent value for money - reasonable hotel, would stay again

by TripAdvisor Member shumu

The hotel is quite tired and in need of some tlc, however staff were super friendly & helpful, room was very spacious and clean - linen in particular was spotless. My husband and I booked through yell.com, and only paid £25 per person per night - a real bargain considering, for some unknow reason we got the honeymoon suite!! Lovely sea view, four poster room.
We stayed on a Sunday & Monday night. The breafast on Monday morning was lovely, made fresh to order. Same can't be said for the poor buffet style breakfast on Tuesday; which was stale and luke warm. All in all, the hotel offers excellent value for money and I would stay there again without hesitation.

fantastic stay

by TripAdvisor Member margaret46Surrey

My husband and I have just returned from a stay at the grosvenor hotel and had a brilliant time. We have been to torquay many times and have always enjoyed ourselves, we had never stayed at this hotel before and as it was our silver wedding anniversary we decided to spend a little bit more and we were not disappointed. The walk to the seafront took minutes, the standard of the food was excellent, the whole hotel was clean and tidy, the bar prices a bit too expensive so we only drank in there couple of nights, but there is a premier inn next door so we drank in there. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and the restaurant staff were very attentive. Our room was cleaned everyday with fresh towels and the tea and coffee making facilities were stocked everyday, we enjoyed our stay tremendously and would be quite happy to stay there again.

The ForgeThe Forge